Earth Day Upcycled Collage Craft for Kids
Help your little learner to better understand the importance of Earth Day with this creative kids’ craft. Instead of throwing everything away, explore the possibilities of upcycling! Go on a whole home scavenger hunt with the kiddos, searching for items to collage into a giant planet project. Look for paper/paper scraps, old fabric/clothes or anything else that your child can glue onto cardboard.
Before the art-making starts, talk to your child about why reusing and recycling is important. Ask them what they think happens to everything they throw into the trash and discuss where these items could end up (such as a landfill). Start with a larger-sized piece of cardboard that you ‘save’ from the trash. Cut apart an old moving, packing, electronics or similar box.
Here’s What You’ll Need
Along with the cardboard and found materials, your child will also need:
- Blue, white and green tempera paints
- Clear-drying school glue
- A marker
- Draw a large circle (to represent the Earth) on the cardboard.
- Help your child to draw the continents and the oceans onto the circle.
- Tear or cut apart the found items for the collage.
- Glue the items onto the continent parts of the cardboard.
- Paint the continents green or add white for the icy north and south poles.
- Repeat the steps for the oceans, painting the collage blue.