International Youth Day Collage Mural Craft
August 12 is International Youth Day. How can you celebrate the young person (or people) in your life? Work together to create a youth-inspired mural! This is a fun family project that recognizes the achievements of your child/children while helping them to get creative and express their artistic selves. Start by talking to your child about what you love about them and then move into this collaborative craft.
- Piece of poster board or butcher paper
- Photos of your child engaging in different activities
- Clear-drying school glue
- Choose pictures that highlight your child’s accomplishments. These might include photos of preschool graduation, their first soccer game, a baseball game win or other memorable moments.
- Cut the pictures into different shapes, talking about why each one is important as you work.
- Glue the photos to the poster board or butcher paper, collage style. Overlap the edges and vary the angles as you glue them.
- If there are blank spaces near the photos, use a marker to write why the pictures are memorable or the dates of the moments onto the paper.
Hang the collage mural up in a prominent place, such as your family room wall or in the kitchen. Have an unveiling event when you hang the collage, giving credit to your kids on this very special day!