Mother’s Day Cardboard Tube Photo Craft
Make mom a memorable present this Mother’s Day! Celebrate the special lady in your family with a creative child-made gift. Start with a photo of the family (or one of mom’s favorites from a family vacation, holiday or another treasured day). Next, help your kiddo to craft a cute frame that mom will always cherish.
This holiday kids’ craft also doubles as an easy way to teach your child about recycling and reuse. Instead of buying all new materials, your child will reuse cardboard boxes and tubes. Before the crafting commences, have a family scavenger hunt — searching your home for cardboard sources to recycle into a Mother’s Day picture frame.
- Cardboard paper towel tubes
- Cardboard (sides of cereal, packing or other types of boxes)
- Clear-drying school glue
- A paintbrush
- Tempera paints
- Clear double-sided tape
- A family photo
- A ruler
- Cut the cardboard to measure at least three inches on each side larger than the photo to create a border area. Place the photo in the center of the cardboard and trace it. Your child can measure outwards from there.
- Use the double-sided tape to attach the photo to the cardboard base.
- Paint the cardboard tubes. Your child can paint them all one color, make a pattern or create their own designs using the brush or their own hands (finger painting).
- After the tubes dry, glue them onto the cardboard in the border area to create a frame.