Parents’ Day Painted Collage Craft for Kids
The fourth Sunday in July is Parents’ Day! Celebrate mom, dad and other caregivers with a fun-filled family art activity. The kids can create their own painted collage family portraits—flexing their creative muscle and making a creative craft that focuses on their parents.
Arts and Crafts Materials You’ll Need
- Poster board paper
- Tempera paints
- Markers, colored pencils or crayons
- Tissue and construction paper
- Clear-drying school glue
How-To Art-Making Steps
- Draw a family portrait on the poster board. Your child can draw each family member in a static or stationary pose or create an action picture. Work from real life, a photo or your child’s memory.
- Paint the picture. Use the temperas to fill in the portrait and add a rainbow of hues.
- Create textures with a torn paper or tissue collage. Your child can tear pieces of paper or cut them into shapes. There’s no need to cover the entire portrait in paper. Instead, let your child pick and choose the areas they want to glue the paper to. This may mean gluing construction paper to mom and dad’s hair or covering the sky in light blue tissue.
After the painted collage dries, hang the portrait for the whole family to see!