Read Across America Dr. Seuss Bookmark Craft
You’ve bought the books, picked a quiet place and now you’re ready to celebrate Read Across America Day (the March 2 holiday also coincides with Dr. Seuss’s birthday)! Your little reader is part way through her favorite book, and it’s time to stop and go to school, eat lunch, take a trip to the park or just switch activities. Now what? She could fold own the edge of the page. But, that may ruin the paper. Instead, create a Read Across America inspired bookmark, featuring the famous Dr. Seuss favorite ‘The Cat in the Hat’.
- Red and white craft felt
- Cardboard (reuse the front of a cereal or cracker box)
- Googley eyes
- Clear-drying school glue
- Cut the cardboard into a bookmark-sized rectangle.
- Using the cardboard as a template, cut the red felt into a rectangle.
- Repeat the template measuring and cutting step with the white felt. Cut the white felt into ‘stripes’.
- Glue the red felt onto the cardboard. Add the white felt as stripes (with the glue).
- Cut a piece of white felt that is slightly longer than stripes to make the hat’s brim. Glue this to the bottom of the book mark.
- Add the cat’s eyes. Glue two googley eyes to the brim.
Turn the hat upside down (so that the eyes are at the top) to use the bookmark!