World Friendship Day Handprint Tree Art Activity
Celebrate World Friendship Day with an imaginative art activity. Your child can learn about the value of friendship and explore the artistic process with this creatively colorful craft!
Materials You’ll Need
- Poster board or card stock paper
- Tempera or finger paints
- Paper plates
How-To Art Steps
- Position the paper vertically. Draw a tree trunk on the paper, using the markers.
- Write a special friendship message on the paper. Discuss what friendship means with your child. Create a special saying or pick a few words that explain or describe friendship to write. If your child is too young to write the words on their own, write them with a pencil first. Your child can trace over the letters with a marker later.
- Pour tempera or finger paint onto the plates. Use a different color for each plate.
- Help your child to dip their hand into the paint, coating their palm completely.
- Press your child’s hand onto the paper, near the tree trunk, to create a handprint.
- Repeat the printing steps yourself. Have other family members and your child’s friends make hand prints too.
After the paint dries, display the friendship tree for the holiday or anytime! Your child can add to it every year as they make new friends.