Declaration Of Independence John Hancock Type Signed In 1776 Historic Magazine
This item has been shown 177 times.
Declaration Of Independence John Hancock Type Signed In 1776 Historic Magazine:
DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE John Hancock Type Signed in 1776 HISTORIC Magazine (Note: additional images are located below the description) Offered is an original, historic, & collectible old newspaper: THE GENTLEMAN'S MAGAZINE, London, August, 1776
* Original Declaration of Independence... the complete text
* As reported from Great Britain
It would be difficult to argue for a more important document in American history than the Declaration of Independence. It remains a desire of most collectors to find an issue containing reference to it, and ultimately a contemporary printing of the actual document. With American newspaper printings commanding $50,000 or more in nice condition, here is an opportunity for a period printing at a very reasonable price.
The title/contents page of this issue, with a decorative engraving, includes: "Declaration of American Independency 361" referencing the page with the actual printing which is headed: "Declaration by the Representatives of the United States of America, in General Congress Assembled, July 4", with the complete text beginning with the famous words: "When in the course of human events...". The document concludes on the following page and is signed in type by: John Hancock (see the photos for the complete printing).
One can imagine the reaction in England to those reading this report in their own magazine! A keystone issue for any collection of American history.
Although it pales in comparison, the back several pages do contain various reports from America on the Revolutionary War under the heading: "Proceedings of the American Colonies". This text begins with: "In the preceding part of this magazine the reader will find the Declaration of Independency issued by the American Congress, with a recapitulation of the grievances which have forced them into that desperate measure. Whether those grievances were real or imaginary, or whether they did or did not deserve a parliamentary enquiry, we will not presume to decide. The ball is now struck, and time only can shew where it will rest...".
This issue is complete in 52 pages, disbound, with the full page plate called for, being a nice view of Chepstow Castle. In very nice, clean condition.
Please Note: All of our offerings are 100% authentic! We do not offer reprints or reproductions of any kind. They are guaranteed to be original!
Shipping, Archival Storage Options, Certificates of Authenticity, About Us, and more...
- For this specific item, A U.S. winner pays $5.00 S&H. If multiple items are purchased and paid for simultaneously, the S&H will be calculated by using the highest item's S&H as the base cost, and then adding $1 for each additional newspaper. The per-item additional cost for folders, portfolios, and presentation cases vary.
- All U.S. orders include in-house insurance at no additional cost to the buyer.
- All U.S. bound orders include delivery confirmation (if sent by USPS) and/or tracking (if sent by UPS).
- Expedited shipping is available for all orders upon request. Every effort is made to ship all orders within 24 business hours of receiving payment.
- Some small items may be shipped 1st Class. We will still provide tracking and insure them at our expense.
If the automated checkout process does not properly combine shipping, we will refund overages automatically. If you prefer, contact us prior to payment to obtain a revised invoice. International Shipping Policy...
- Upon purchasing, international winners should contact us for an invoice which includes S&H to their location.
- Import duties, taxes and charges are not included in the item price or shipping charges. These charges are the buyer’s responsibility. Please check with your country’s customs office to determine what these additional costs will be prior to offerding/buying. Note: We will not falsify customs declarations or mark an item as "gift" in order to avoid customs fees.
- If insurance is desired, be in touch for a quote. All insured orders are subject to customs, duties, & taxes for the amount insured and are subject to item 2 above.
- Large and/or brittle issues must be shipped flat and are required to be shipped by Priority Mail International (PMI), often at a weight of 3 pounds or more - quite expensive. Please contact us for a pre-purchase/pre-offerding S&H quote if you are concerned about the potential S&H cost.
- International purchasers are encouraged to take advantage of our combined shipping policy to lower the cost per item S&H.
We have been dealers in rare newspapers for over 43 years, serve as consultants to multiple museums, and are members of the American Antiquarian Society. offer with confidence knowing that every item we offer is guaranteed to be authentic.
More Information About Us
Timothy Hughes Rare Newspapers
P.O. Box 3636
Williamsport, PA 17701-8636
Hours: M-F, 7:30-4:00 EST
Click to view our additional offerings
"...desiring to conduct ourselves honorably in all things." Hebrews 13:18
If you would like to have either the Archival Storage Folder ($6.00, plus corresponding adjustment to the final S&H) or the Certificate of Authenticity ($3.00) included with the issue, please purchase these directly through using the links provided. These items are also available through our cross-promoted store offerings."Were it left to me to decide whether we should have a government without newspapers, or newspapers without a government, I should not hesitate a moment to prefer the latter." Thomas Jefferson