Declaration Of Independence John Hancock Type Signed In 1776 Historic Newspaper
This item has been shown 616 times.
Declaration Of Independence John Hancock Type Signed In 1776 Historic Newspaper:
DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE John Hancock Type Signed in 1776 HISTORIC Newspaper (Note: additional images are located below the description) Shown is an original & historic old newspaper, offered to enhance your collectible interest: THE LONDON CHRONICLE, August 17, 1776
* Original Declaration of Independence... the complete text
* As reported from Great Britain
The front page contains a naval report from Philadelphia, carrying over to page 2, plus a report from General Howe noting: "…the rebels had more than 100 pieces of cannon for the defense of New York…it is no wonder he has not been more successful…" and more. There is reference to Bunker Hill in another brief report. Yet another page has a letter from Staten Island which has much detail, including: "Mr. Washington's headquarters were lately removed to the City Hall…" plus other tidbits as well.
But certainly the overriding significance of this issue is the complete printing of arguably the most important document in American history, headed: "In Congress, July 4, 1776. A Declaration by the Representatives of the United States of America, in General Congress Assembled" which begins with the famous line: "When in the course of human events it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another, and to assume among the powers of the earth the separate and equal station to which the laws of nature and of nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation…" followed by the remainder of the Declaration of Independence, signed in type: JOHN HANCOCK, President. This document takes about three-quarters of page 4 of this 8 page issue.
A very rare opportunity for a newspaper printing of the Declaration, and nice to have in the "enemy's" newspaper.
At a time when printings of the Declaration of Independence in American newspapers are now exceeding $100,000 and out of the reach of most collectors, this very famous title could well be one of the very few English language newspapers with a contemporary printing to be had at a reasonable price.
Complete in 8 pages, 8 1/2 by 14 1/4 inches, some scattered toning & a tiny ink spot at the margin of the Declaration (see photos), very nice condition.
Please Note: All of our offerings are 100% authentic! We do not offer reprints or reproductions of any kind. They are guaranteed to be original!
Shipping, Archival Storage Options, Certificates of Authenticity, About Us, and more...
- For this specific item, A U.S. winner pays $5.00 S&H. If multiple items are purchased and paid for simultaneously, the S&H will be calculated by using the highest item's S&H as the base cost, and then adding $1 for each additional newspaper. The per-item additional cost for folders, portfolios, and presentation cases vary.
- All U.S. orders include in-house insurance at no additional cost to the buyer.
- All U.S. bound orders include delivery confirmation (if sent by USPS) and/or tracking (if sent by UPS).
- Expedited shipping is available for all orders upon request. Every effort is made to ship all orders within 24 business hours of receiving payment.
- Some small items may be shipped 1st Class. We will still provide tracking and insure them at our expense.
If the automated checkout process does not properly combine shipping, we will refund overages automatically. If you prefer, contact us prior to payment to obtain a revised invoice. International Shipping Policy...
- Upon purchasing, international winners should contact us for an invoice which includes S&H to their location.
- Import duties, taxes and charges are not included in the item price or shipping charges. These charges are the buyer’s responsibility. Please check with your country’s customs office to determine what these additional costs will be prior to offerding/buying. Note: We will not falsify customs declarations or mark an item as "gift" in order to avoid customs fees.
- If insurance is desired, be in touch for a quote. All insured orders are subject to customs, duties, & taxes for the amount insured and are subject to item 2 above.
- Large and/or brittle issues must be shipped flat and are required to be shipped by Priority Mail International (PMI), often at a weight of 3 pounds or more - quite expensive. Please contact us for a pre-purchase/pre-offerding S&H quote if you are concerned about the potential S&H cost.
- International purchasers are encouraged to take advantage of our combined shipping policy to lower the cost per item S&H.
We have been dealers in rare newspapers for over 41 years, serve as consultants to multiple museums, and are members of the American Antiquarian Society. offer with confidence knowing that every item we offer is guaranteed to be authentic.
More Information About Us
Timothy Hughes Rare Newspapers
P.O. Box 3636
Williamsport, PA 17701-8636
Hours: M-F, 7:30-4:00 EST
Click to view our additional offerings
"...desiring to conduct ourselves honorably in all things." Hebrews 13:18
If you would like to have either the Archival Storage Folder ($6.00, plus corresponding adjustment to the final S&H) or the Certificate of Authenticity ($3.00) included with the issue, please purchase these directly through using the links provided. These items are also available through our cross-promoted store offerings."Were it left to me to decide whether we should have a government without newspapers, or newspapers without a government, I should not hesitate a moment to prefer the latter." Thomas Jefferson