Rare Port Royal Sc Lincoln's Emancipation Proclamation Civil War 1862 Newspaper
This item has been shown 573 times.
Rare Port Royal Sc Lincoln's Emancipation Proclamation Civil War 1862 Newspaper:
Rare PORT ROYAL SC Lincoln's Emancipation Proclamation Civil War 1862 Newspaper (Note: additional images are located below the description) Shown is an original & historic old newspaper, offered to enhance your collectible interest: THE NEW SOUTH, Port Royal, South Carolina, Oct. 4, 1862
* Rare Union occupation title
* Emancipation Proclamation
* President Abraham Lincoln
This newspaper was established in March of 1862 after its capture by Union forces during the early part of the Civil War. Issued in a "military command", the newspaper sought to provide mostly military reports and other items. It is also interesting that a Union newspaper was published in South Carolina considering the state remained a Confederate stronghold until near the end of the war. This is issue #8.
Certainly the prime content is complete printing of the Emancipation Proclamation" on page 4 which is headed: 'The Decree of Emancipation" and datelined Washington, Sept. 22. It is signed in type by the President: Abraham Lincoln . Relating to this is a page 2 editorial headed: "The Proclamation of Emancipation" which takes nearly a column.
There are other war-related items including: "Scared Rebels" "More Deserters from Savannah" "The Negroes" "Another Raid on Bluffton" and an interesting: "A Proposition For Employing the Negroes" as many were coming into the Yankee lines.
Four pages, 9 by 13 1/4 inches, printed on some worth of "necessity stock" being brownish in color & thicker than typical newsprint of the era. Very nice condition.
Please Note: All of our offerings are 100% authentic! We do not offer reprints or reproductions of any kind. They are guaranteed to be original!
Shipping, Archival Storage Options, Certificates of Authenticity, About Us, and more...
- For this specific item, A U.S. winner pays $7.00 S&H. If multiple items are purchased and paid for simultaneously, the S&H will be calculated by using the highest item's S&H as the base cost, and then adding $1 for each additional newspaper. The per-item additional cost for folders, portfolios, and presentation cases vary.
- All U.S. orders include in-house insurance at no additional cost to the buyer.
- All U.S. bound orders include delivery confirmation (if sent by USPS) and/or tracking (if sent by UPS).
- Expedited shipping is available for all orders upon request. Every effort is made to ship all orders within 24 business hours of receiving payment.
- Some small items may be shipped 1st Class. We will still provide tracking and insure them at our expense.
If the automated checkout process does not properly combine shipping, we will refund overages automatically. If you prefer, contact us prior to payment to obtain a revised invoice. International Shipping Policy...
- Upon purchasing, international winners should contact us for an invoice which includes S&H to their location.
- Import duties, taxes and charges are not included in the item price or shipping charges. These charges are the buyer’s responsibility. Please check with your country’s customs office to determine what these additional costs will be prior to offerding/buying. Note: We will not falsify customs declarations or mark an item as "gift" in order to avoid customs fees.
- If insurance is desired, be in touch for a quote. All insured orders are subject to customs, duties, & taxes for the amount insured and are subject to item 2 above.
- Large and/or brittle issues must be shipped flat and are required to be shipped by Priority Mail International (PMI), often at a weight of 3 pounds or more - quite expensive. Please contact us for a pre-purchase/pre-offerding S&H quote if you are concerned about the potential S&H cost.
- International purchasers are encouraged to take advantage of our combined shipping policy to lower the cost per item S&H.
We have been dealers in rare newspapers for over 41 years, serve as consultants to multiple museums, and are members of the American Antiquarian Society. offer with confidence knowing that every item we offer is guaranteed to be authentic.
More Information About Us
Timothy Hughes Rare Newspapers
P.O. Box 3636
Williamsport, PA 17701-8636
Hours: M-F, 7:30-4:00 EST
Click to view our additional offerings
"...desiring to conduct ourselves honorably in all things." Hebrews 13:18
If you would like to have either the Archival Storage Folder ($9.00, plus corresponding adjustment to the final S&H) or the Certificate of Authenticity ($3.00) included with the issue, please purchase these directly through using the links provided. These items are also available through our cross-promoted store offerings."Were it left to me to decide whether we should have a government without newspapers, or newspapers without a government, I should not hesitate a moment to prefer the latter." Thomas Jefferson