Election Day Ballot Box Craft
Celebrate Election Day at home with a creative kids’ craft. Your child can learn about the election process—while getting artsy! This ballot box craft is perfect for preschoolers or older elementary school-aged children. Before you start the art, discuss elections with your child. Nominate family candidates for household president and get ready to take a vote.
Arts and Crafts Materials You’ll Need
- An old shoe box
- Red, white and blue paper
- Clear-drying school glue
- Clear tape
- Index cards
How-To Art-Making Steps
- Take the lid off the shoe box. Cut a thin rectangle-shaped slot in the middle of the lid.
- Cover the bottom of the box and the lid with red, white and blue paper. Cut strips of paper to make stripes, create color blocks of larger pieces of paper or glue one color to each side of the box. Use the tape to secure any loose ends.
- Write the word “vote” or your family’s name and “election” onto the box with the markers. Add the date to the box too.
- Hand out the index cards to your family members. Each person can write their vote onto the card. If you want to make the mock election more exciting, nominate imaginary characters, stuffed animals or your child’s dolls to the mix and vote for your favorite pretend play friend.