Very Rare 1788 Judaica Pewter Purim Plate, From Worms Germany
This item has been shown 32 times.
Very Rare 1788 Judaica Pewter Purim Plate, From Worms Germany :
Up for sale is this very rare and important Purim plate made from pewter, this plate is All hand chased with an amazing design of a star with 8 points, inside the star there is A circle with 3 fish inside. on the star there are 4 animals:a rooster, a duck, a stork And a peacock, and between them there are 4 diffrent kinds of flowers.
On the edge there is an hebrew inscription :" a gift for Purim, a man will give to his friend,and gifts will be Given to the paupers" and the Hebrew year of 1788, or in Hebrew:
"ומשלוח מנות איש לרעהו ומתנות לאביונים, תקמ״ח לפ״ק, ממל״
The plate is Struck three times to the reverse is a variant of the maker's mark* of "Johann Balthasar Scharff" (born 1751 - died 1808).
* Reference Hintze, Volume 7 (SUDDEUTSCHE ZINNGIESSER III), pages 70-71, reference #s 409 & 410
This maker was active in the mid to late 18 century in the city of worms which is located in germany, On the rhine river and is about 60 km from frankfurt, Please see photos of marks.
The fact that this plate came from worms is very important because worms is one of the oldest known Jewish communities in germany, traced back to the 11th century.
This plate is a museum piece and it will be a great addition to any important judaica collection.
The city of worms :
The Jewish presence in Worms can be traced back to 1034 when the community built its first known Synagogue. While the existence of the cemetery probably dates back to that time, the oldest known Tombstone reaches back to 1076.
But in only 20 years, the peace was broken by the First Crusade. Between the Crusaders, accusations That the Jews had caused the Black Death, various social unrests, and wars, the Judengasse (Jewish Quarter) was regularly destroyed, and rebuilt.
It wasn’t until 1801 that the Jews were free to leave the ghetto and take up residence anywhere in the City. But by 1945, the entire Jewish community in Worms had been destroyed. The only remnant left was the cemetery.
During the Middle Ages the building that is known today as the Rashi House after the beloved Jewish Talmud scholar, Rashi, was originally a Jewish community center, dance and wedding hall. During the War the building was heavily damaged and eventually collapsed. The city government wanted to Remove it but the citizens of Worms wanted to reconstruct the house as far as possible, and to make It a museum. When it was rebuilt the community remembered that this has been the place where Rashi walked nad perhaps prayed, and they wanted to honor the spirit they felt was still present.
Width : 21 cm
Hight : 2 cm