1716 Roman Monarchy Emperors Numismatics Caesar Dutch Coin Military History Rome
This item has been shown 0 times.
1716 Roman Monarchy Emperors Numismatics Caesar Dutch Coin Military History Rome:
A[braham] Bogaerts Roomsche Monarchy, vertoont in de levens, bedryven, muntbeelden, en gedenkpennigen der Westersche en Oostersche Keizeren van Julius Cezar af tot op Karel den VI.
T'Amsterdam : by Hendrik Blank, 1716.2nd Edition.
Rare and valuable history of Rome and Roman emperors, coins, military and more. Main title page printed in red and black; added engraved illustrated title page, as well as all 20 additional plates, two of which are folding. Includes half-title in front. A fascinating and rare Dutch emblem book extravagantly illustrated throughout, many of the plates being coins. Original leather well worn, with loss to spine leather, as shown; front board detached along with front EPs and half title. Bookplate of John Crerar Library in front, a few stamps throughout. Lightly soiled, well kept forgiving external presentation. Main text in full Dutch. Good luck!
John Crerar Library
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
John Crerar Library Country United States Type free, semi-public Scope current science, technology, and medicine Established 1894 Location Hyde Park, Chicago Branch of University of Chicago Library Collection Size 1,400,000 Access and use Access requirements open to members of the public with specific research needs related to the sciences and medicine during visitor hours. Population served academic, business and government Other information Director Barbara Kern & Andrea Twiss-Brooks Website Phone number (773) 702-7409
The John Crerar Library is a library, which after a long history of independent operations, is now operated by the University of Chicago. It is recognized as one of the best libraries in the country for research and teaching in the sciences, medicine, and technology. Throughout its history, the library's technology resources have made it popular with Chicago-area business and industry. Though privately owned and operated, the John Crerar Library continues its tradition of free access for the public for the purpose of conducting research in science, medicine and technology. The library opened April 1, 1897, and is named for John Crerar who gained his wealth by founding a railroad supply firm.
John Crerar died in 1889. His will gave approximately $2.6 million of his estate to Chicago as an endowment for a free public library, selected “to create and sustain a healthy moral and Christian sentiment, and that all nastiness and immorality be excluded.” To comply with Crerar's wishes without duplicating existing area libraries, the directors decided to limit the collections to the sciences, including the history of science. In 1906, the directors expanded the library's mission to include medicine. Since 1951, the collection has focused on current science, technology, and medicine.
In 1891, Crerar's friends lobbied the Illinois state legislature to enact a law to protect privately funded libraries, entitled, "An Act to Encourage and Promote the Establishment of Free Public Libraries in Cities, Villages and Towns of this State." On October 12, 1894, the library was incorporated under that law. However, Crerar's relatives contested his will and then appealed issue to the Illinois Supreme Court. On June 19, 1893, the will was sustained.Librarians and Executive Directors Clements Walker Andrews 1895–1928 J. Christian Bay 1928–1946 Herman H. Henkle 1947–1969 William S. Budington 1969–1984
The Crerar Library opened in the Marshall Field building, moving in 1921 to its own building at the northwest corner of Randolph Street and Michigan Avenue. The Board of Directors of the library established a building fund with the 1889 endowment and set out to gain approval for a Grant Park location. In 1902, the Chicago City Council approved the plan, but public criticism force the design to be built on the Northwest corner of Michigan Avenue. World War I postponed groundbreaking of the 16-story Holabird & Roche design until 1919. When the building reached it capacity in the 1950s, the library's directors decided to affiliate with a university. The directors contracted with the Illinois Institute of Technology to provide library services for its campus. In 1962, the library moved into a new building that was designed by architect Walter Netsch. It was a 92,000-square-foot (8,500m2) facility with an international modern design inspired by Mies van der Rohe. During its 22 years located on the IIT campus, the John Crerar Library remained a separate organization, with IIT reimbursing the costs attributable to it. By the mid-1970s, however, the library had out-grown that building, and in 1980 Crerar and IIT agreed to terminate the contract within four years. On April 13, 1981, the directors agreed to consolidate the collection with the University of Chicago's science collection in a new building, which opened on September 10, 1984. Because the library was incorporated under the 1891 special law, court approval was required for the merger. A condition of the merger was that the combined library would also remain free to the public. The merger, with a combined collection of 900,000 volumes, was among the largest in American library history.
Following World War II, the John Crerar Library became one of the first to offer a fee-based research service which was targeted to industry and government users. In 1952, it became one of the first libraries in the nation to install a Teletype machine. The library now offers computer-based searches of a wide variety of scientific and medical data bases. Since the 1950s, the library offers corporate memberships to both for-profit and non-profit organizations that includes borrowing privileges and access to the University of Chicago Libraries as well as to Crerar. Also, from 1968 to 1979, the National Library of Medicine funded the library to serve as its Midwest Regional Medical Library.Current library
The current four-story structure opened in 1984 was designed by Stubbins Associates of Cambridge, Massachusetts, and has 160,836 gross square feet of floor space, with dimensions 135 feet (41m) east-west by 294 feet (90m) north-south, costing $22 million to build. The new building has capacity for 1.3 million volumes with 770,000 volumes on 27 miles (43km) of conventional shelving and 530,000 volumes on 12 miles (19km) of movable compact shelving.
The merger set aside $300,000 to form a separate John Crerar Foundation. The Foundation now also sponsors the John Crerar Foundation Science Writing Prize for College students.
The official motto of the John Crerar Library is engraved on its current building: Non est mortuus qui scientiam vivificavit (translation: "He has not died who has given life to knowledge")
The Crerar collection includes 27,000 rare books including works by Copernicus, da Vinci, Descartes, Franklin, and Newton.