1825 Companon Altar Christian Prayers Devotional Anglican Church Fine Binding For SalePocket Edition of the Companion to the Altar, with Suitable Prayers During the Ceremony(bound with)Pietas Quotidiana:Prayers and Meditations for Every Day in the Week, and on Various Occasions: being a Collection from the Most Eminent Divines and Moral Writers.
London : Printed for Peacock and Bampton, and Bowdery and Kerby, 1825.
Gorgeous finely bound handheld Companion to the Altar and English Anglican devotional piece. Bound in red stamped leather, as shown with blindstamped borders to the boards, spines with elaborate gilt titling and thick raised bands. Includes two functional silver clasps. Page edges gilt with gilt dentilles to inner edges of boards. Magenta decorative endpapers. Two separate parts in one; 52 + 96 pages. The first part of this book
appears to be extracted from "A Week's Preparation towards a Worthy
Receiving of the Lord's Supper", an anonymous Anglican book of personal
meditations and prayers which first appeared in 1679 during the
Restoration period. Notable provenance; signature on first EP of Anne, Countess of Antrim in Glenarm Castle. Bestowed upon her niece Letitia Louisa (Kerr) at the time of Anne's death. Kerr went on to be a noteworthy painter and artist. Measures 4.25" x 2.75''.
- Lady Frances Anne Emily Vane-Tempest+ d. 20 Jan 1865
Glenarm Castle, Glenarm, County Antrim, Northern Ireland, is the ancestral home of the Earls of Antrim.
There has been a castle at Glenarm since the 13th century, and it is at the heart of one of Northern Ireland’s oldest estates.
The present castle was built by Sir Randal MacDonnell, 1st Earl of Antrim, in 1636. It is currently owned by Randal, Viscount Dunluce, the son of Alexander McDonnell, 9th Earl of Antrim.
The Castle's Walled Garden is open to the public between May and September and hosts many events. In July of every year the grounds are the site of a world class Highland Games. The Dalriada Festival is also held at Glenarm Castle and within the local village, which celebrates sport, music and fine food from all over Scotland and Ireland, as well as hosting traditional Ulster Scots cultural events. As part of the Dalriada Festival Glenarm Castle has started to host large outdoor concerts which as of 2012 has welcomed artists like General Fiasco, The Priests, Duke Special, Ronan Keating, Sharon Corr, Brian Houston, David Phelps and the likes.
Summer Madness, Ireland's biggest Christian Festival, moved from its annual residence at the Kings Hall, Belfast, to Glenarm Castle in 2012. It is thought this Festival will return to Glenarm, on a yearly basis, for the foreseeable future.
Randal, 1st Marquis & 2nd Earl of Antrim
Alexander, 3rd Earl of Antrim
Randal, 4th Earl of Antrim
Alexander, 5th Earl of Antrim
Randal, 2nd Marquis & 6th Earl of Antrim13th century
There has been a castle at Glenarm since the days of John Bisset, who was expelled from Scotland in 1242 for murdering a rival during a tournament. He promised to do penance by going on a pilgrimage to the Holy Land, but instead he acquired lands between Larne and Ballycastle from Hugh de Lacy, the Earl of Ulster. Bisset made Glenarm his capital, and by 1260 there was a castle, which stood at the centre of the present village, with a kitchen garden, an orchard and a mill, as well as woods and meadows. The old village courthouse still incorporates some of its walls, indeed an immured skeleton was discovered there in the 1970s.15th century
In 1495 Con O'Donnell of Tirconnell marched on ‘MacEoin of the Glens’ (as the Bisset chieftain was called), ‘for he had been told that MacEoin had the finest wife, steed and hound in his neighbourhood. O'Donnell had sent messengers for the steed but was refused it…. so he made no delay, but surmounting the difficulties of every passage he arrived at night at MacEoin's house without giving any warning of his designs. He captured MacEoin and made himself master of his wife his steed and his hound'.16th century
The last MacEoin Bisset was killed fighting the O'Donnells in 1522. Their lands were then seized by the MacDonnells, their former partners, who occupied the Bisset’s castle until they built the new one.17th century
The present castle was built by ‘Randle McDonnel knight Earl of Antrim having to his wife Dame Aelis O'Nill’ in 1636. It was the same square building we see today, but no architectural details remain apart from a coat of arms now incorporated in The Barbican gateway. It was probably a plain Irish Jacobean building with simple mullioned windows and a few embellishments.
In 1642 an invading Scots army burnt this castle, and thereafter the family lived first at Dunluce, and then at the nearby house of Ballymagarry, leaving Glenarm a ruin. A visitor in 1740 said 'the walls seem to be entire, and for the most part sound. The out offices of the castle are fitted up to accommodate the Earl during the hunting season. These consisted of an 'L' shaped wing built onto the ruin. The Old Kitchen, a remnant of this wing, has fine bolection mouldings round its doorways, which survive from its former use as the Earl's apartments.
Anne Catherine, Countess of Antrim in her own right
Charlotte, Countess of Antrim in her own right
Hugh Seymour, 9th Earl of Antrim
Mark, 10th Earl of Antrim
William, 11th Earl of Antrim18th century
In 1750 Ballymagarry burnt down, and the fifth Earl moved to Glenarm. Christopher Myers, an English engineer, was employed on the castle. A 'very knowing and experienced workman' he was also employed to work on Ballycastle harbour. Myers transformed the ruin into a Palladian mansion. The main front had an eccentric appearance, for its entire fenestration consisted of three-light Venetian windows, possibly because Myers reused the original Jacobean mullioned openings. Curved colonnades swept forwards on either side, ending in pavilions with pyramid shaped roofs; the pavilion overlooking the river contained a banqueting hall. There was also 'a spacious Grass-plat in Front, on which is a statue of Hercules of esteemed Workmanship.' The seaward facing facade was topped by a turreted and crenellated pediment, giving it a modestly 'Gothick' air. Houses, smithies and mills around the castle were demolished, and the village confined to the other side of the river. Lord Antrim lived here while these works went on, and one evening entertained the Presbyterian minister somewhat too well; on leaving he fell over the half-finished river wall to his death.
Myers created the present entrance hall, a two storey cube, which was decorated with astonishing baroque plasterwork, its vaulted ceiling supported by grotesque caryatids while an arched screen supported on Corinthian columns sheltered doorways to the other principal rooms. Some plasterwork was so similar to that at Castle Ward in Co. Down that the same plasterers may well have worked on both buildings; Glenarm was constructed in 1756, Castle Ward circa 1760. Moreover Glenarm parish church, built in 1763, is the earliest Strawberry Hill Gothick church in Ireland and may well have been influenced by the sensation caused by Castle Ward's Gothick side.19th century
Late eighteenth century plans exist for adding Adam-style reception rooms, but it was the 1820s before any new building was undertaken. Anne Catherine McDonnell, Countess of Antrim in her own right, wanted a fashionably romantic seat, and her architects were the Irish brothers William and John Morrison. Their plans, exhibited at the Royal Academy in 1824, were not very original, for they had already 'Jacobethanised' Miltown House in Kerry with almost identical towers, crenellations, side wing and porch to Glenarm. The 'Barbican' gateway was also based on one at another house. This gateway, the revamped servants' wing and four comer turrets were quickly built, but then money ran out, and the castle kept much of its Palladian features until the 1850s, when the 'Wee Earl', Anne Catherine’s nephew, completed the Morrisons' plans.
Randal,12th Earl of Antrim
Randal, 13th Earl of Antrim
Alexander, 14th Earl of Antrim20th century
In 1929 the main body of the house was badly damaged by a fire that was started, it is said, by the housekeeper keeping a fire constantly going in her bedroom to warm a featherless parrot. This accident led to much unimaginative rebuilding. The gothic windows were replaced with rectangular ones and the baroque hall lost its plasterwork.
This goaded Angela Sykes, the next countess and a professional sculptor, to give the hall new vigour. During the uneasy year of peace before World War Two, and under the aegis of her husband and the author Robert Byron, she started sculpting the gods of the nine planets to act as new caryatids. However Robert Byron was killed in the war and Lady Antrim found she could not finish the work he had inspired. Instead she painted other rooms with interpretations of family and classical mythologies. Another fire in 1965 led to the demolition of the servants' wing, with the exception of the Kitchen, the only room in continuous use since the seventeenth century.21st century
The castle is now the home of Randal, Viscount Dunluce, son of the
14th Earl of Antrim, with his wife Aurora, their son Alexander
Lady Louisa Kerr (active 1825-1868)
Lady Letitia Louisa Kerr was an amateur artist who painted portrait miniatures and cut profiles of her family and friends. Her talent and skill is unquestionable and her silhouettes are much prized. It is thought that Lady Louisa may have been a talented landscape or flower painter as her silhouettes are always backed by beautifully painted watercolor scenes. She remained single most of her life but married Cortlandt-George Macgregor, a retired captain from the 1st Dragoon Guards in 1871 which probably signaled the end of her artistic pursuits. Lady Louisa was the eldest daughter of Charlotte, Countess of Antrim and Vice-Admiral Lord Mark-Robert Kerr.
This item has been shown 0 times.