1836 Canton China Trade / Horsburgh Lighthouse Document - Markwick's Hotel
This item has been shown 0 times.
1836 Canton China Trade / Horsburgh Lighthouse Document - Markwick's Hotel:
This extremely rare and important holograph document printed in Cantonin 1836 documents the public meeting held at the Marwick's Hotel in Canton on November 22nd 1836. The purpose of this meeting was to make a tribute of respect to the late Captain Horsburg for his services to the cause of commerce and navigation. Captain James Horsburgh (1762-1836) was a Scottish hydrographer from the East India Company, who mapped many seaways around Singapore in the late 18th and early 19th century. His charts and books allowed ships to navigate through treacherous areas of the ocean between China and India. The meeting presided by Mr. William Jardinedecided to build a lighthouse on Pedra Branca in the Singapor Straights.
"The meeting was opened by Capt. Hine who briefly stated it's object and suggested that if sufficient funds could be raised, the purpose would be best answered by the erection of some work of public utility, as a light house on Pedra Branca, in the Straights of Singapore."
This rare original holograph document is printed on a large 16 x 20 inch sheet ofpaper folded in half. Thefine hand laid sheet has a "J.Whatman Turkey Mill 1835" watermark (see last two photographs). The document dated November 22, 1836 contains a list of contributors at the meeting that decided to donate funds. Donations were made at Canton, Bombay, Madras Penang and London and even as far away as America and France and soon the fund amounted to about $7411.00.
In June 1847,construction beganafter receiving instructions from Thomas Church, the resident Councillor at Singapore to take steps for the erection of the lighthouse at Pedra Blanca, partly paid for by the meeting at the Markick's Hotel in Canton. The lighthouse was finished in 1851 and still stands today as a monument to Captain Horsburgh!
THIS RARE IMPORTANT HISTORICAL CHINA TRADE DOCUMENT IS IN A FINE STATE OF PRESERVATION! AS WITH ALL MY ITEMS I AM OFFERING THIS RARE DOCUMENT WITH !
PLEASE SEE ITEM# 380657878729 FOR A RELATED LETTER!
The Horsburgh Lighthouseis a lighthouse which marks the Eastern entrance to the Straits of Singapore. It is situated on Pedra Branca island. Singapore's earliest lighthouse by date of completion, it is located approximately 54kilometres to the east of Singapore and 14km from the Malaysian state of Johor.
The Horsburgh Lighthouse was named after Captain James Horsburgh (September28, 1762 – May14, 1836), a Scottish hydrographer from the East India Company, who mapped many seaways around Singapore in the late 18th century and early 19th century. He was called "The Nautical Oracle of the World". His charts and books allowed ships to navigate through treacherous areas of the ocean, saving many lives and property on the seas between China and India. On the wall of the visitors room of the lighthouse there is the following memorial:
“ Pharos Ego
Cui nomen praebuit
In maribus Indo Sinicis praeter omnes proeclarus
Angliae Mercatorum nisi imprimus indole
Ex imperii opibus Anglo Indici denique constructa
Saluti nautarum insignis viri memoriae
W. J. Butterworth, c.b.,
Prov: Malacc. Proof.”
which in translation reads: The Horsburgh Lighthouse is raised by the British enterprise of British Merchants, and by the liberal aid of the East India Company, to lessen the dangers of navigation, and likewise to hand down, so long as it shall last, in the scene of his useful labours.
To the Memory of the Great Hydrographer whose name it bears.
Col. W. J. Butterworth, c.b.
Governor in the Straits of Malacca.
The lighthouse was built over an outcrop of rocks that for centuries was identified on maps as Pedra Branca (white rocks in Portuguese). It was built by John Turnbull Thomson (1821–1884), a government surveyor. In the presence of Governor William John Butterworth and other dignitaries, the lighthouse foundation stone was laid on May24, 1850 and the lighthouse was completed in 1851. The lighthouse is also known as Pedra Branca Lighthouse.