1860 Madison Wisconsin Letter W Cover By S.v.shipman Architect & Civil War Hero For Sale
This wonderful antique letter with coverwas written by Stephen Vaughan Shipman, the Wisconsin architect and Civil War hero. The letter is written on "State Historical Society of Wisonsin" stationary. The letter dated "Madison, October 1st, 1860" is addressed to "Miss Kate E. Hunt Guilford Conn.". At the time this letter was written Shipman was commissioned to design the Wisconsin State House but with the outbreak of the Civil War Shipman postponed is career as an architect to join hte Wisconsin Volunteer Cavalry. Apparently Shipman was interested in his family history and in this letter to Kate Hunt he is thanking her for providing valuable information about the Shipman familyand askingher formore information. The three page letter is signed "S.V.Shipman." Each page measures approx. 8 x 10 inches and both the letter and envelope are in extremely good condition! !Shipman, Stephen Vaughan 1825 - 1905
Soldier, architect, b. Montrose, Pa. He learned the building trade with his father in Pennsylvania, and constructed several buildings there before moving to Chicago in 1854. In 1855 he moved his office to Madison, Wis., and in 1857 was appointed architect of the Central State Hospital for the Insane at Mendota. During the Civil War, Shipman served in the 1st Wisconsin Volunteer Cavalry as 1st lieutenant in Co. G (1861-1862), as captain in Co. E (1862-1864), was wounded, but returned to the service as major (1865). During the final stages of the war, he collected Confederate archives and building plans in Georgia, and was mustered out of the service in Aug., 1865, with the brevet rank of colonel, U.S. Volunteers. Returning to Madison in 1865, he completed work on the Mendota hospital, designed the dome and rotunda of the state capitol, was the architect for the Madison post office, the Dane County court house, and the First National Bank. Shipman also designed numerous other public buildings in Wisconsin, Illinois, Iowa, and Missouri. After 1870 he maintained his offices in Chicago. He was for many years a curator of the State Historical Society of Wisconsin. Milwaukee Sentinel, Nov. 13, 1905; Trans. Wis. Acad. Sci 15 (1907), pp. 927-931. [Source: Dictionary of Wisconsin biography]
The Wisconsin Historical Society (still officially the State Historical Society of Wisconsin) is simultaneously a private membership and a state-funded organization whose purpose is to maintain, promote and spread knowledge relating to the history of North America, with an emphasis on the state of Wisconsin and the trans-Allegheny West. Founded in 1846 and chartered in 1853, it is the oldest historical society in the United States to receive continuous public funding. The society's headquarters are located in Madison, Wisconsin, on the campus of the University of Wisconsin–Madison
This item has been shown 0 times.