1862 Abraham Lincoln Chase Civil War Era Or Pioneer Ma Gold Miner Daguerreotype
This item has been shown 1271 times.
1862 Abraham Lincoln Chase Civil War Era Or Pioneer Ma Gold Miner Daguerreotype:
A rare Western appointment document of Thomas Frazar, Assessor of Internal Revenue for the Collection District of the State of Oregon, signed by Abraham Lincoln and Salmon P. Chase in its Victorian frame measuring approximately 14 x 17 visible inches and 17 ½ x 20 3/8 inches as a complete framed piece and a half plate daguerreotype of Frazar measuring approximately 6 1/2 x 5 1/2 inches as a complete piece and 4 3/4 x 3 1/2 visible inches. Frazar was the first and only appointment in this position from July 29, 1862 through June 24, 1873. Frazar adds his own personal note on top of the document lower left as pictured and it appears Frazar probably had this framed later in his life. Frazar was an Oregon Pioneer originally from Duxbury, MA who did some gold prospecting and retailing in Jacksonville, OR. Both his father and his wife’s were ship captains and they had great heartache with the loss of 4 of 5 of their children. Passing through Panama and around Cape Horn on multiple occasions, Frazar ended up in Portland, OR. Frazar’s only surviving child, Rosetta, married Martin Strong Burrell. One of their 4 children, Margaret Alden Burrell, married Capt. William S. offerdle, an officer of the United States army. This document descended in the offerdle family and last originated in the Washington, DC area. Lincoln’s signature is bold and strong with foxing, staining, and creasing with unstable paper backing as pictured. Daguerreotype has scratches, oxidation, loss most notably on forehead and jacket and convex indention upper center as pictured with black tape encasing edges. Daguerreotype not examined under encasing. Below is information from various sources but a great source to research is Frazar’s “Recollection” in “Pioneers of New England” published in the Oregon Historical Society. Shipped via UPS fully insured. Thanks for looking.
Thomas Frazar and his first wife, Frances Ann Adams Bradford were married 26 May 1839 in Duxbury, Plymouth, Massachusetts. They lived together in Duxbury, Plymouth, Massachusetts until about 1845, while Thomas gained skills in ship building in his father's family business. Then they moved to the greater Boston area for several years where he worked at a planing mill and then operated a tanning mill and two other family businesses. It was then decided that Thomas would move to Portland, Oregon in 1851, build and operate a store in partnership with his brother, Capt Amherst Alden Frazar. At first, he left his family and setup the business and then about two years later he went east to bring them to Oregon after preparing them a home.
Rosetta, was born 13 Sep 1842. Her elder sister, Jerusha was born 22 Jun 1840. Younger sister Ann was born, 27 Apr 1844. All three were born in the same town of Duxbury, Plymouth County, Massachusetts. Her brother, Ray Thomas was born 20 Dec 1845 and sister Lucy was born, 24 May 1847, both in Dorchester(Boston), Suffolk, Mass. These were all children of Frances Ann the first wife of Thomas Frazar.
Two children were born to her stepmother, Mary Ellen Evans Frazar. The first, Mary Frances Frazar, was born 15 Dec 1850, in Dorchester (Boston) and the second, Charles Alden Frazar, was born, on 18 Jan 1855, in Portland, Oregon Territory. He was Thomas' only child not born in Massachusetts.
Rosa was married, 07 Jan 1862, at Hazel Wood Farm, Portland, Multnomah County, Oregon to Martin Strong Burrell. He had come from a well-to-do Ohio farming family. He was drawn first to his brothers interests in California. After staying there a few months he decided to move on to Portland, Oregon where a couple of cousins had started up a store, Knapp & Knapp, Co. It marketed goods of all kinds to the Willamette valley farmers. After working for several years for his cousins as a book keeper, he bought part ownership into the Portland based company and they renamed it Knapp-Burrell & Company with one partner retiring to farm. It grew to have many outlets located in farming centers and mining areas across the Oregon Territory of Oregon, Northern California, Washington, Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming.
Rosa's father tried to turn more of Hazel Wood Farm [located about five miles east of the heart of Portland] into orchard. But, after several years of bad weather and crop failures he lost hope. Then adding to this trouble was the death of four of their beloved children while living at the farm. They sold Hazel Wood Farm and moved back across the Willamette River, into Portland. [The children loved the farm].
Rosetta Frazar Burrell grew to become the right arm of Martin Burrell. But, she was also her father's daughter, one who fought for public schools and good government in Portland and then for the whole state of Oregon. Rosa was one who had the ear of both men and women of wealth and position in Oregon. Like her father, she knew politics on all levels. When Rosa could not herself reach out as a woman, she was able to persade her husband and their friend's to help.
In religious beliefs she followed her father and mother into the Unitarian Church and firmly supported it all her life. The family were founding members of the First Unitarian Church of Portland, Oregon and it is presently active today. Note: The church first met in community homes for worship and study. Several of the men then went to California seeking a pastor to return with them. They were successful and enlisted a young man who became a great church and civic leader. Note: Her grandparents on her father's side were both interred in the grave yard next to a Unitarian church in Boston, along with several of their children. See, Mayflower Cemetery.
The Burrells amassed great wealth for their day. The estate was worth well over a million dollars. They were capitalists and were involved in many businesses in Washington, Idaho, Montana and Oregon. It included mining, farming, banking, agriculture and the retail outlets based in Portland, Multnomah, Oregon and spread out across the Oregon Territory.
Look at the womens groups she helped form with Mary Ann Phelps Montgomery, Constance Phelps Montgomery Burrell,
Margaret Phelps Montgomery Zogbaum, Helen Strong Burrell Voorhies and others. They formed the Oregon DAR, an actions group that was based on growing a strong patriotic Portland. They were watching a small town, Portland, change each year into one of the largest and strongest in the West. These women wanted their city to be clean, with a good police force, fire department and a good library system serving all, with a free school system for all children, and a good political system that was fair and open to all it's citizens.
Their son, Walter Frazar Burrell was not the wisest business man. Between the 1930's Depression Era lasting until Pearl Harbor, and lavish spending, and bad business deals, the estate money was soon depleted to a point where he was forced to sell major estate assets at great loss and go into bankruptcy. It is said that he paid off all the debt even though it took many years. The many family members lost almost all their principle in the estate.
Frances Ann Adams Bradford was born 08 Oct 1815, to sailing ship Captain Daniel Bradford in Keene, Cheshire, New Hamshire. She died in Dorchester(Boston), Suffolk, Massachusetts 11 July 1848. Her place of burial has not been determined.
Her heritage can be traced directly back to the Mayflower through her mother. The Drew line and the Frazar line are equally impressive. Also, the Burrell line can be traced back to the Mayflower Colony.
Parents: Thomas Alden Frazar (1813 - 1890)
Spouse: Martin Strong Burrell (1834 - 1885)*
Walter Frazar Burrell (1863 - 1946)*
Francis Lavinia Burrell (1867 - 1867)*
Herman Jabez Burrell (1869 - 1899)*
Helen Strong Burrell Voorhies (1871 - 1949)*
Margaret Alden Burrell offerdle (1876 - 1966)*
Note: Wife of Martin Strong Burrell - Married 6/7/1862
River View Cemetery
Plot: Sec. 3, Lot 13, Grave 5
Created by: Martin Burrell
Record added: May 21, 2009
Find A Grave Memorial# 37360925
MARTIN STRONG BURRELL
until his death twenty-nine years later, Martin Strong Burrell contributed
towards the progress and development of the northwestern states and territories.
The family of which he was a member belonged to the early colonists of
Massachusetts and Connecticut, but he, himself, was a native of Sheffield, Ohio.
He was the son of Jabez Lyman and Lavinia (Strong) Burrell and his mother was a
daughter of John Stoughton Strong, Sr., and Tamar Whitney.
Elder John Strong, who came to America from Plymouth, England in 1530. The
Rev. John Wareham of Windsor, Conn., a noted and prominent man in the colonies,
and his father and two uncles were, soldiers in the Revolutionary war. (See
page 102, of the History of Strongsville, Ohio.) In 1815-16 John Stoughton
Strong, Sr., bought one-half or more of township No. 5, range No. 14, of the
Connecticut Western Reserve of Ohio.
Oberlin, Ohio, when that city was a small village, and assisted in the
foundation of the noted educational institution which has since made that town
known throughout the entire country. This seat of learning Martin Strong
Burrell attended until ill health compelled him to leave his studies and seek a
home in the far west. Accordingly he journeyed to California, and crossing the
Isthmus of Panama, joined an uncle, Lyman Jabez Burrell, who had settled some
time previously in the Santa Clara mountains. After remaining a few months with
this relative, he came to Oregon in 1856 and settled in Portland, then a town of
a little more than a thousand inhabitants. Here he secured employment as
bookkeeper for the firm of Knapp & Hull, commission merchants, and such was the
enterprise and ability he displayed that in 1860 he was admitted into the
consisting of Mr. Burrell and J. B. Knapp, took the name of Knapp, Burrell & Co.
The original location of their business was on Front and Taylor streets, but
subsequently they removed to the northeast corner of Front and Alder streets.
Gradually the firm drifted into the agricultural implement business, and,
finding it very profitable, at last gave their whole attention to what
originally had been but one department of their store. In the early days they
were obliged to bring their goods around Cape Horn and one of the members of the
firm went east each year to secure the needed supply. So successful were they
that the house became well known throughout all the states and territories of
the northwest. In 1862 Richard B. Knapp was admitted into the firm and in the
spring of 1870 J. B. Knapp retired, and the business was conducted by Mr.
Burrell and R. B. Knapp until Mr. Burrell's death in 1885. The establishment and
management of the largest agricultural implement business on the pacific coast
did not represent the limit of Mr. Burrell's energies, and he became interested
with the present Senator Levi Ankeny of Walla Walla, Wash., ex-Governor D. P.
Thompson and others in the establishment of a system of National Banks in the
Eastern parts of Oregon and Washington, these banks being located at Baker City,
Ore., Pendleton, Ore., Walla Walla, Wash., Dayton, Wash., and Colfax, Wash. In
each of these town the bank organized was known as the First National Bank,
excepting at Dayton, where it was known as the Columbia National Bank. He also
invested heavily in a fleet of sailing vessels managed by Capt. W. H. Besse, of
New Bedford, Mass., in real estate in Portland, Ore., and farming lands in
Washington, and was at all times progressive, energetic and resourceful. The
Portland Board of Trade owed much to his active co-operation in matters
connected with its work, and other organizations of public utility felt, in
their incipiency, the benefit of his judicious and timely
Republican, and held offices within the gift of his party, i. e., police
commissioner and county commissioner. In religious belief he was reared a
Congregationalist, but with his wife he attended the Unitarian Church, while
fraternally he was connected with the Masons and Odd Fellows. His death, which
occurred April 12, 1885, was a distinct loss to the citizens of Portland and
four children survived him, i. e., Walter F., of Portland, Ore., Herman J., who
died in Portland in 1899, Helen Strong, wife of Capt. Gordon Voorhies, of
Medford. Ore., and Margaret Alden, wife of Capt. William S. offerdle, an officer
of the United States army. The services of Mr. Burrell as a developer of the
resources of the states of Oregon, Washington and Idaho and of the business
interests of Portland were of such a nature as to entitle him to rank as one of
the most important factors in the establishment of its present high commercial
he possessed the greatest of all virtues among those engaged in commercial
warfare, strict integrity, and exerted an influence in all quarters eminently
beneficial and acknowledged to be free from narrow personal motives. He
contributed largely to mould the character of the city of Portland in the days
of its most rapid development, and the principles to which he always strictly
adhered formed a most substantial part of the foundation of commercial honor,
political virtue and enlightened education which underlies this great and
Submitted to the Oregon Bios. Project in March 2008 by Diana Smith.
There were then [in the middle of June 1852] but few families in Jacksonville, more of a mining camp. We looked round a while and then went round to some of the diggings. Went to the first that was discovered in or around Southern Oregon. It was discovered in 1850 or 1851 by a packer by the name of George Frazier. He was packing goods from Scottsburg to Yreka, California. The first discoveries took from this "Rich Gulch" (this was the name given it and still retained) some over $30,000, in a few months' time, mostly coarse gold from $1.00 to $20 pieces. The second workers the next year took out $12,000 to $15,000, working over the old tailings. When we got there two men were at work on the same tailings for the third time, and making six to eight dollars per day. Thomas Frazar, "Recollections," (written 1880s), in "Pioneers from New England," Oregon Historical Quarterly, Spring 1982, page 41
At least two other historic references support Duncan's essential premise that Cluggage and Pool arrived at the Jacksonville area only after others had identified its potential riches. Thomas Frazar, who arrived in Jacksonville in June 1852 reports:
We looked 'round a while and then went 'round to some ofthe diggings. Went to the first that was discovered in 1850 or 1851 by a packer by the name ofGeorge Frazier. He was packing goods from Scottsburg to Yreka> Ca1ifornia.(Frazar 1982:42)10
Mrs Mary E Frazar who more truly than any other one person may be called the founder of the church died April 21 1884 aged 67 years 4 months In memory of her daughter Mrs Rosa F Burrell gave the Society in April 1886 the sum of $1,000.00 to be called the Frazar Fund the income to be used in the dissemination of Unitarian literature This income lias been principally expended through the Post office Mission in establishing and maintaining the Frazar Loan Library of Liberal religious literature Thomas Frazar her husband died June23 1890 aged 77 years 5 months lie was always one of the most earnest supporters of the work of the church and was a member of the board of trustees of the Society for most of the time during fifteen years In memory of these two founders of the church a bronze tablet was placed on the church walls in 1891 The tablet bears the following inscription In memory of THOMAS FRAKAR 813 1890 and his beloved wife MAKY Ki r EN FRAZAH 1817 1884 Natives of New England Pioneers of Oregon of i1 Devoted patriots Members of the sacred bund to whose prayers and sacrifices the founding of this CHURCH OF OUR FATHER is due This tablet is erected by their daughters and grandchildren 1891 (A History of the First Unitarian Church, of Portland, Oregon. 1867-1892)
This history was first undertaken with the purpose of preparing a historical discourse for the twenty-fifth anniversary of the dedication of the chapel. But it grew beyond the proper limits of a sermon, and the historical discourse had to be an abridgement of what is here given. It has been prepared with care from the records of the church and its various organizations, from the newspapers of the time, and from personal recollections of early members; and it is published in order permanently to preserve a record which might otherwise easily become forgotten or destroyed. Special thanks are due, for aid given in its preparation, to Rev. T. L. Eliot, Mrs. Rosa F. Burrell, and Mrs. C. W. Burrage. Appendixes are added which give material that could not be suitably given in the course of the narrative.
A HISTORY OF THE FIRST UNITARIAN CHURCH.
THE Portland of the sixties was a quiet frontier town of between five and ten thousand people, in the third decade f its history, reached by stage overland from California, and by two or three steamers monthly. It has then, as it has always had, in spite of the lawlessness and vice that so often characterize frontier towns, more than the usual proportion of Christian people, whether measured by their numbers, or by their influence in the community. It was, for it size, well supplied with churches. In 1865 there were already a Methodist, a Presbyterian, a Congregationalist, a Baptist, an Episcopal, and a Catholic church.
Among the residents of that early day there was, however, a considerable number of persons, including some of wealth and influence, who had been reared in the Liberal Christian faith, in New England and elsewhere in the East, both Unitarians and Universalists. [page 6] Among the more prominent of these were Thomas Frazar and his wife, who had arrived as early as 1853; Mrs. Anna Cooke and her children, who came soon after; Mr. and Mrs. Ira Goodnough, Mrs. Abby W. Atwood, and Mr. and Mrs. Charles W. Burrage. There was no organization among them as Liberal Christians. Many of them were not aware that the religious beliefs which they held were shared by others in the community. They therefore worshipped in the churches already established, contributed to the support of them according to their means, taught classes in the Sunday-schools, to which they also sent their children, and did their full share of general church work. At various times they were urged to join the churches with which they were associated. But they held firmly to their inheritance in Liberal Christianity, and waited for a time when they should have a church of their own. one family at least, that of Mr. Frazar, during the six years in which they lived on what is now the "Ladd Farm" in East Portland, were accustomed to hold home services on Sundays, at which neighbors and visitors were often present. Hymns were sung, prayers were offered, and a sermon was read, usually of Channing, Peabody, Chapin, or other Liberal Christian leaders of the time. These are believed to have been the first Unitarian services ever held in Portland.
It is impossible to say how long things might have continued thus, had not the loyalty of the few Liberal Christians to their religious convictions been [page 7] suddenly and deeply aroused. One Sunday morning in 1865, one of the ministers of the city, for lack of a better theme, made a violent attack upon the Unitarian faith, which he continued for several Sundays. It was not without its effect. Several liberally minded members of his congregation met at the door, as they went out after one of these sermons, and at once formed the resolve to take steps toward a Liberal organization of their own. No immediate organized result followed; but the Liberal Christians were from now on drawn more closely to each other.
At the same time other forces had been moving toward the same end. Mrs. Thomas Frazar had from the first longed earnestly for a church of her own faith. For this she prayed and planned for years; and it was in her heart, and by her faith, more than that of any other one person, that the church was founded. She was ever hoping to find material enough to from a Unitarian organization. In 1863, in the work of the Sanitary Commission, she became acquainted with Mr. and Mrs. Charles W. Burrage, devoted Unitarians who had come to Portland a few months previously from Leominster, Mass., and who were the first persons she had found who seemed to be in full sympathy with her religious beliefs. Their common faith drew them more and more together. They added to each other's zeal; and the result at length was that, with a few kindred spirits, the first step in organization was taken in December, 1865, in the forming of the Ladies' Sewing Society. [page 8]
There had already been Unitarian preaching in Portland as early as 1862. In July of that year, Rev. Thomas Starr King of San Francisco, while on a lecturing tour, preached in the Methodist church on Taylor street on a Sunday afternoon, and lectured there three days later. Letters are still extant, written by him to Mr. Frazar, arranging for the visit. But Mr. King's object was not a missionary one; and though even then earnestly longed for, an organization was not yet thought possible.
But on December 13, 1865, a few of the women interested in the cause of Liberal Christianity met at the house of Mr. Ira Goodnough, on Yamhill street, below Fifth, on the spot where the Goodnough building now stands, opposite the Post-office. These were Mrs. Mary E. Frazar, Mrs. Sarah J. Burrage, Mrs. Nancy E. Goodnough, Mrs. Anna Cooke, Mrs. Lydia M. Wright, Mrs. M. A. Abbott, Mrs. Rosa F. Burrell. They had come together "for the purpose of organizing a Society for the promotion of the Cause." Mrs. Frazar was chosen Chairman, and Mrs. Abbott Secretary; and the first business done was the adoption of the following preamble, which had previously prepared by Mrs. Frazar:
"We, the friends of Liberal Christianity, pioneers of the Christian faith in this new land, do here unite for the purpose of strengthening each other in the same, and pledge ourselves, God helping, that by prayer and earnest effort we will use every endeavor to promote and advance the Cause."
At a meeting held at the house of Mrs. Burrage two weeks later, a constitution was adopted, and a [page 9] permanent organization effected, under the name of "The Ladies' Sewing Society," two which were added "of the First Unitarian Society, Portland, Oregon." Mrs. Frazar was the first President. The Society held weekly meetings for work at the houses of the members on Thursday afternoons, at which they usually earned money by taking in sewing. Meetings have been held on Wednesday afternoons since 1872, and in the church parlor since 1880, and have been uninterrupted during all the twenty-seven years since the forming of the Society. Besides their weekly meetings, the ladies held monthly socials, arranged occasional entertainments and festivals, and were in every way the center of organized life among the Liberal Christians until the forming of the First Unitarian Society.
Indeed it is doubtful whether any definite movement would have taken shape for a long time, had it not been for the devoted and unFlagging work of the Ladies' Sewing Society. With an average weekly attendance of but seven, the earnings of their first year were almost $400.00; while the deeper results of nourishing faith and arousing zeal, were greater than can be estimated. They testified their faith in the future of their cause by sending the thirty dollars first earned to Rev. Horatio Stebbins (rootswebdotancestrydotcom)
FREE! Sellers: Add a FREE map to your listings. FREE!