1892 Antique Leather Photo Album 29 Cabinet Card Photograph Collection Unique For Sale
Antique Leather Photograph Album Dated December 25, 1892
Acquired from an estate in Evansville, Indiana
27 Cabinet Photographs mounted on cardboard
Contains rare photograph of former Virginia Tech president, John McLaren McBryde
The album is in very poor condition with a broken spine. The pages have broken out, but they are in good condition. Some of the frames have torn at the bottom. However, the interesting part of this collection is the amount of photographs, all of which are in very good to excellent condition. I am not dealer or expert. I endeavor to describe each item as well as my limited knowledge allows.
Handwritten on inside cover (as best as I can decipher)
To Mr. H. A. Hymes
from his friend
Mrs. J. P.___
December 25, 1892
A brief description of each photo: (Not all cabinet photos are pictured.)
1. Man with glasses, mustache. Gilbert Studios. Philadelphia
2. Girl in plaid dress at table. W.A. Reckling. Columbia, SC
3. Man with mustache. Possibly a minister as indicated by collar. Landy Photography. Cincinnati, Ohio
4. Woman with high collar lace dress. Seeley Warnock. Bridgeport, Conn.
5. Baby on fur blanket. Thuss and Bingham. Memphis, Tennessee
6. Woman with black shawl. W.A. Reckling. Columbia, SC
7. Man with mustache. Reckling, Columbia, SC. Handwritten: John M. McBryde (my note:John McLaren McBryde, 5th President of Virginia Tech University)
8. Young man with mustache and floppy bow tie. E.A. Smith Photo StudioDarlington, SC
9. Older woman with curls. Geo. L. Cook. Charleston, SC
10. Woman with velvet and lace. Bingham. Memphis, TN. Handwritten on back: H.A. Hymes from Emma B. Woods of Memphis, Tenn, April 1892
11. Man with mustache. Profile. Pach Bros. Broadway New York
12. Woman with collar pin. Mounted on black cardboard. Merritt Van Wagner. Washington, DC
13. Woman with small star collar pin. Walsh. Trenton, N.J.
14. Young man with parted hair and black suit. Hennies & Bucher. Columbia, S.C.
15. Man with mustache and swept back hair. Hennies. Columbia, S.C.
16. Woman with cross broach. Wharton. Raleigh, N.C.
17. Man with white tie. Pach Bros. B'way. N.Y. Handwritten on back: S.J. Foster, Jr. Princeton, NJ 92
18. Older man with beard and glasses. Reckling. Columbia, SC. Handwritten on front: Jus Woodrow
19. Man with handlebar mustache and bow tie. Pach Bro. Broadway, N.Y.
20. Woman with lace shawl and ear bobs
21. Woman with buttoned tunic
22. Woman in profile. Memphis, Tenn.
23. Young boy in white and bow tie on a stump. De Young's. Broadway, N.Y. (lightly tinted cheeks)
24. Young girl with necklace at a table.
25. Four children. E. Bien & Co. Palatka, Fla. Handwritten on back: Carrie age 12 yrs, Willie 10, Hyam 8, Minnie 6 yrs today May 19th, '94
26. Woman in black. E.A. Smith. Darlington, SC
27. Infant. Earnest A. Smith. Darlington, SC. Mounted on light blue embossed cardboard.
This could be a fun group of photos for the history or genealogy enthusiast.
John McLaren McBryde (look up this informationonline at www dot vt dot edu slash buildings slash mcbryde-hall dot html and you'll see a photo of older McBryde)
McBryde Hall memorizes John McLaren McBryde, president from 1891 to 1907. Known as the "Father of VPI," McBryde laid the foundation for modern Virginia Tech.On Jun-21-13 at 09:43:57 PDT, seller added the following information:
More history on the recipient of the album:
H.A. Hymes was a minister in Evansville, Indiana. His name appears as "officiator" on a marriage license for Elmer T Winkler and Flora Broonerfrom Evansville dating April 9, 1916. I believe his name to be Hamilton A. Hymes, married to Elizabeth M. Hymes.
This item has been shown 0 times.