1930s Lily Swedish Machine Age Art Deco Modern Brass Candlesticks Ystad Metall ? For SaleHERE’S AN ORIGINAL VINTAGE 1930S OR 1940S PAIR OF MODERNIST BRASS ART DECO / MACHINE AGE CANDLESTICKS SIGNED “SWEDEN – LILY – MADE IN SWEDEN”!
Measuring four and three quarter inches (4 ¾”) in height, eight and three quarter inches (8 3/4”) across the top at its widest point, and three a quarter inches (3 1/4”) inches in diameter across the base, these original vintage modern brass candleholders are made from a 3-piece construction, where the top form was actually two pieces hand-soldered together and then hand-soldered to the base. This 3-piece construction typically indicates an early production. And they are made from a thinner gauge brass, giving them a lighter and slightly more refined appearance.
The original designer for the form of these candlesticks was Ivar Alenius-Bjork for Ystad Metall of Sweden. Presently, there is no source material to verify whether or not these candleholders are a product of Ystad Metall or another Swedish company. Ystad Metall did, in fact, produce several versions of this candlestick with varying marks and monograms. This pair could be one of Ystad Metall’s various versions. Regardless, they are very nice! And because these particular candlesticks are marked “Sweden – Lily – Made In Sweden” – these are almost always referred to as “Lily” candlesticks regardless of who made them.
In fact, Ystad Metall included them in their exhibition display at the 1939 New York World’s Fair. To this end, these candlesticks as well as several other Ystad Metall designs in brass and pewter are shown in the book “Swedish Arts And Crafts: Swedish Modern – A Movement Towards Sanity In Design” – which helped to define Scandinavian Functionalism. This book was actually published in conjunction with the 1939 New York World’s Fair to celebrate the design achievements of Sweden, Denmark, Norway, and Finland in the era of the Machine Age and Art Deco Modernism.
Ystad Metall was a company located in Ystad, Sweden, that employed many important designers during the 1920s through the 1960s. Perhaps the most prolific Ystad Metall designer of the earlier period was Ivar Alenius-Bjork. Other later designers included Gunnar Ander and Erik Hoglund.
Condition: These candlesticks are generally in very good toward excellent and clean condition with their older original patina. There is only mild tarnish and only a few small markings and some light scratches on the underside bottom. In addition, a former owner stuffed a small wad of paper into each shaft (these will need to be removed). Overall, these are still very decent / nice examples of original vintage Scandinavian Functionalism / Swedish Machine Age / Art Deco Modernism.
Domestic buyer pays calculated shipping for secure packing and USPS priority within the United States.
Selected International buyer pays calculated shipping depending on country. (International shipping is “only” available to: United Kingdom, Canada, Germany, Austria, France, Belgium, Netherlands, Switzerland, Spain, Denmark, Sweden, Finland, Norway, Japan, Israel, and New Zealand. If you are "not located" in one of these countries, please do not offer without contacting me for approval. Thank you.)
!!! TERMS & CONDITIONS OF offerDING ON THIS sale !!!
1) COMMUNICATION FROM THE WINNING buyer IS ESSENTIAL -- PLEASE CONTACT ME WITHIN 3 DAYS FROM THE CLOSE OF THE sale, ESPECIALLY IF YOU ARE UNABLE TO COMPLETE YOUR PAYMENT DURING THIS TIME PERIOD! THANK YOU!
2) THERE IS A SHIPPING COST STIPULATED IN THE sale DESCRIPTION FOR BOTH DOMESTIC WITHIN THE UNITED STATES AND INTERNATIONAL SHIPPING TO SELECTED COUNTRIES (PLEASE SEE ITEM #3).
3) BECAUSE OF TOO MANY PROBLEMS WITH OVERSEAS SHIPMENTS, I “ONLY” SHIP TO SELECTED INTERNATIONAL COUNTRIES, WHICH INCLUDE: UNITED KINGDOM, CANADA, GERMANY, AUSTRIA, FRANCE, BELGIUM, NETHERLANDS, SWITZERLAND, SPAIN, DENMARK, SWEDEN, FINLAND, NORWAY, JAPAN, ISRAEL, AND NEW ZEALAND. IF YOU ARE NOT LOCATED IN ONE OF THESE COUNTRIES, PLEASE DO NOT offer WITHOUT CONTACTING ME FOR APPROVAL. THANK YOU.
4) ALL DOMESTIC PACKAGES ARE SHIPPED VIA “USPS” MEDIA MAIL / BOOKRATE WITH DELIVERY CONFIRMATION UNLESS ANOTHER SHIPPING METHOD IS REQUESTED.
5) ALL INTERNATIONAL PACKAGES ARE SHIPPED VIA “USPS” PRIORITY WITH PROOF OF DELIVERY RECEIPTS.
6) ***IMPORTANT*** THE "DELIVERY CONFIRMATION" RECEIPTS AND "PROOF OF MAILING" RECEIPTS ARE MY WAY OF PROVING THAT A PACKAGE HAS BEEN SHIPPED.
7) COMBINED SHIPPING: YES, I COMBINE ITEMS FOR SHIPMENT TO SAVE ON COSTS. PLEASE CONTACT ME FOR A COMBINED SHIPPING COST. THANK YOU.
8) IF USING PAYPAL, SUCCESSFUL buyer “MUST” MAKE PAYMENT WITHIN 3 DAYS FROM THE CLOSE OF sale UNLESS OTHER ARRANGEMENTS HAVE BEEN MADE WITH THE SELLER. AGAIN, COMMUNICATION WITH THE SELLER IS IMPORTANT!
9) IF SENDING PAYMENT VIA REGULAR MAIL, SUCCESSFUL buyer “MUST” MAKE PAYMENT WITHIN 10 DAYS FROM THE CLOSE OF sale UNLESS OTHER ARRANGEMENTS HAVE BEEN MADE WITH THE SELLER. AGAIN, COMMUNICATION WITH THE SELLER IS IMPORTANT!
10) CREDIT CARD PAYMENTS CAN ONLY BE MADE THROUGH PAYPAL.COM
11) IF PAYMENT IS NOT RECEIVED WITHIN 3 DAYS FOR PAYPAL OR 10 DAYS FOR REGULAR MAIL AND THE SUCCESSFUL buyer IS NOT RESPONDING TO THE SELLER'S E-MAIL MESSAGES, THE ITEM IS SUBJECT TO RELISTING OR ANOTHER SALE – AND A “NON-PAYING” buyer CLAIM WILL BE FILED.
12) PLEASE SEE ALL THE ACCOMPANYING IMAGES SHOWN ABOVE FOR A BETTER UNDERSTANDING OF THE BOOK OR OTHER ITEM UP FOR sale!
13) AS OF MID-1999, AT THE REQUEST OF ADMINISTRATION, THE FOLLOWING CLARIFICATION HAS BEEN ADDED TO ALL OF MY sales: THE NAMES OF THE DESIGNERS, ARCHITECTS, ARTISTS, SCHOOLS, AND/OR ARTISTIC MOVEMENTS MENTIONED IN THIS sale ARE ALSO AN INTEGRAL PART OF THE BOOK, CATALOG, OR EPHEMERAL ITEM LISTED IN THIS sale!
IN THE EVENT THAT THE ITEM IS AN OBJECT, ALL SUCH NAMES ARE INCLUDED IN THE sale DESCRIPTION TO PROVIDE HISTORICAL AND/OR BIOGRAPHICAL CONTEXT FOR THE ITEM!
LASTLY, SHOULD THE WORD "EAMES" BE USED IN THE SEARCH TITLE, IT IS THERE FOR THE PURPOSE OF REFERENCING THE MID-CENTURY TIME PERIOD OF THE 1940S THROUGH THE 1970S.
14) THIS ITEM IS BEING OFFERED BY DESIGN REFERENCES -- ESTABLISHED BY A FORMER ART MUSEUM CURATOR TURNED BOOKSELLER SPECIALIZING in OUT-OF-PRINT and PERIOD MATERIALS on the PROGRESSIVE IDEAS of MODERNISM and POST-MODERNISM in DECORATIVE ARTS and ARCHITECTURE, INDUSTRIAL and STUDIO ARTS of the 19TH & 20TH CENTURIES.
15) PLEASE -- NO REQUESTS FOR PHOTOCOPIES OF THIS ITEM. I DO NOT MAKE PHOTOCOPIES UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES.
16) AGAIN, COMMUNICATION IS KEY! IF YOU HAVE SPECIAL CIRCUMSTANCES INVOLVING YOUR PAYMENT FOR THIS ITEM, PLEASE CONTACT ME AND I WILL WORK WITH YOU -- THANKS!
17) LASTLY -- WHEN OBSTACLES AND PROBLEMS LOOM LARGE AND YOU SEEM TO BE AT A STAND STILL, REMEMBER THAT EVEN A FALTERING STEP FORWARD IS BETTER THAN NO STEP AT ALL.
This item has been shown 0 times.