Antique Chinese Daoguang / Tongzhi Famille Rose Qilin & Boys Porcelain Vase For SaleClick here to be notified of our future sales! Click here to visit our website.
Visit us at 3574 Mt Diablo Blvd, Lafayette, CA 94549. "Qilin and Boys" Vase (QFM021307) Ca. 1840s - 60s, mid-19th century
Daoguang - Tongzhi Period, Qing Dynasty
Porcelain with overglaze famille rose enamels
H: 34.2 cm
Professional restoration covering a small 3.5 x 1.1 cm re-attached piece to rim with associated hairline.
From a New England private collection. In a powerful pairing of youth with age, the ancient qilin is seen escorting young boys in this vase. This popular theme was titled "qilin song zi" by the Chinese, and is one of the most auspicious images found on decorated porcelain. Since antiquity, the mythical qilin has symbolized nobility and wisdom--and is said only to appear during the reign of a just and competent ruler. The qilin's association with perceived male virtues (that is, wisdom and authority) was so great that it became closely linked with fertility as well: boys "delivered" by the qilin are said to be destined for administrative glory in China's civil service hierarchy. In this sense, the qilin becomes an extremely auspicious cousin of the western stork. This vase is very characteristic of mid-19th century famille rose wares with its "orange peel" glaze and vibrant enamels. The faces of the boys and the qilin are quite charming and naive.
Terms of Sale 1. We absolutely guarantee our items to be authentic and correctly dated.
2. We will gladly answer all questions and concerns. Please ask BEFORE the end of the sale!
3. Failure to reply to our messages or initiate payment within 3 days will result in termination of sales contract.
4. Returns can be made, no questions asked, within 14 days. Past that, we will nonetheless accept returns in the event of a mistake in our period attribution. No restocking fee will be charged. Each piece must be returned in its original condition. Domestic US buyers pay for return shipping only. International buyers pay for return shipping, and are held responsible for clearing international customs.
5. We ship within 1-2 business days. All items are mailed through USPS priority or express mail (the buyer may choose).
6. Unless stated, the wood display stands sometimes accompanying porcelain items are not for sale.
7. We photograph pieces to the best of our ability. However, computer screens (and even human perception) can vary case by case, so please allow a small margin of deviation between online images of the piece(s) you purchase and actual perceived coloring.
8. We do not ever make second-chance offers. If you receive a post-sale offer from a third party, it is an internet scam. We do not ever participate in such illicit activity.
About Ascot Court Antiques We are trusted sellers of authentic antique Chinese ceramics. Check out our five star reviews! Ascot Court Antiques is a family-run gallery based in Moraga, California. We specialize in authentic antique Chinese ceramics. Our clients include local northern Californian collectors and other enthusiasts from the greater international Chinese ceramics community. The trade and diaspora of Chinese works of art has been truly extraordinary in both temporal and geographical scope. In this sense, we hope to further a long tradition of connoisseurship and intercultural dialogue by safekeeping pieces of aesthetic and historical value. However, we do not believe that collecting is a socioeconomically elite affair: our stock will always mix high-end and rare pieces with affordable but lovely minyao and export wares. We take pride in our serious devotion to scholarship and research, and are pleased to offer authenticity guarantees to everything in our catalogue.
This Week's sale Please save us as a favorite seller! All lots begin at $9.99 with ! Each lot is timed exactly 5 minutes apart, so you'll have plenty of time to offer on all your favorites.
Lots beginning 6/1/13 and ending 6/10/13
This item has been shown times.