Antique Wood/gesso Japanese Hotei Buddha Figure Collected In 1938 W Inscription
This item has been shown times.
Antique Wood/gesso Japanese Hotei Buddha Figure Collected In 1938 W Inscription:
ANTIQUE WOOD/GESSO JAPANESE HOTEI BUDDHA FIGURE COLLECTED IN 1938 WITH INSCRIPTION
This amazing Laughing Buddha appears to be very very old! It comes fresh from the estate of a former WW2 Naval Officer who had collected many incredible artifacts in his travels.
This is outside our area of expertise, we leave it up to you as the buyer to be the experts. What we can tell you that there is so many layers of gesso and genuine wear that simply cannot be made without the aid of generations of time. We wouldn't be surprised if this figure is 18th century or earlier. It is inscribed on the side with a Japanese seal pattern.
Also listed this week are several Ukiyo-E Woodblock prints! Be sure to check out all our other items listed!
- About Hotei/Laughing ĐạiinVietnamese, is aChinese folkloricdeity. His name means "Cloth Sack," and comes from the bag that he is conventionally depicted as carrying. He is usually identified with (or as an incarnation of)Maitreya, so much so that the Budai image is one of the main forms in which Maitreya is depicted in East Asia.He is almost always shown smiling or laughing, hence his nickname in Chinese, theLaughing Westerners confuse Budai withGautama Buddha."
- 8" x 7 1/2" 5 1/2" inches
- We offer local pickup and combined shipping
- International buyers must contact us for exact shipping costs
- Be sure to view our other sales this week!