Antique Italian .925 Sterling Silver Compact Clutch Snuff Box Engraved Xmas Gift
This item has been shown 0 times.
Antique Italian .925 Sterling Silver Compact Clutch Snuff Box Engraved Xmas Gift:
This is a magnificent very fine quality early Art Deco Italian .925 solid sterling silver women's compact/clutch or mini purse. This vessel also has pill holders, lip stick tube holder, mirror, tortoise comb and room for powder or pencil and other misc. women's items. The surface of the silver is covered with a light engraving of a simple flower and a very faint brushed surface. Truly a work of art, there is so much detail in this one piece it is unbelievable. There are 4 separate compartments, each with its own handle or lid, plus the tortoise comb, and the mirror. The main lid or handle also appears to either be gold or gilded silver - I didn't want to test it because I didn't want it to look scratched or marred in any way.
- It is fully hallmarked first with a lozenge shaped makers mark with 2 different raised numbers that look like "87" it could also be just the number 8 or a 6. Very hard to tell even under a magnifying glass. I have looked at least 20 different times and everytime I see an 87 and the dates make perfect sense with the timeframe this piece was made. After the number 87 is FI for Firenze or Florence. Then there is the .925 in a circle and then it says Made in Italy. So, this is a sterling silver Italian designed piece. The hallmark is on the inside front lid to the right hand side alongside the mirror's edge.
- tested by my local jeweler to be true solid sterling silver on the outside edge of the piece, in addition to the hallmark on the 1 & 1/16 inch at the highest point of the center
- width: 2.25 inches
- length: 5 & 7/8 inches
- The box is in phenomenal condition. It has a tiny bit of tarnish in the corners, but it is fairly well polished at this point. No real issues that are visible. Mirror is in great condition, not much distortion at all, all of the box lids open and close well, the lipstick tube was never used so there is no residue or gunk or anything like that. In fact it doesn't look as if this object was ever used to contain anything.
- Box is rectangular in shape but curved as well. It fits perfectly in your hand. The lid and interior box lids are faintly engraved with a light single flower scattered, and it sits upon a gently brushed surface. The very left/right edge of the box has a scalloped paisley-like border. The interior boxes have a smooth finish, the mirror has a smooth silver edge. The opposite side of the mirrored portion of the interior box has a celluloid inlay, I don't believe it to be ivory as it feels just like celluloid. The comb appears to be tortoise - it is in excellent condition, with no broken tips or anything to mention.
- There is no visible damage or repairs to tbe box, just normal surface wear commensurate with age mostly a tiny tarnish in a few hard to reach spots. Hinge which is located on the inside of the box works very well with no sticking.
A very rare piece in that the cover is so ornate with such a huge amount of detail and craftsmanship and also in the fact that is so large. Quite special and certainly a one-of-a-kind piece.
Please feel free to ask any questions. Box will be shipped immediately upon payment - it will be shipped Fedex Express Insured to the buyer.
Shipping rates are Free for domestic customers.
I am happy to ship internationally - International Shipping is via Fedex Express - $145.00/$125 to Canada includes full insurance.