Antique Victorian Hand Painted Small Plate Raspberries 6 5/8" Porcelain Unique For Sale
Unmarked antique porcelain plate, hand decorated with raspberries, in excellent condition. The small plate measures 6 5/8" in diameter. During Victorian times, an acceptable pastime for a respectable lady was painting designs on porcelain dishware. Various factories in Europe produced dish blanks which were then sold to other factories or to individuals to be painted by hand. I suspect this little plate was done by an individual, as the design, although well-executed, is also naive. Especially whimsical are the two raspberries at the bottom, apparently resting on a surface.
While the only marks on this piece are factory or mold numbers: 933 and 15, I have seen the identical pattern of scalloping and edge embossing on larger plates with an Austrian manufacturer mark. This plate likely originated in Austria. It could have been decorated on the continent or in England.
The porcelain is very fine, delicate and translucent. The edge of the plate is deeply scalloped and decorated with embossed dots, curves and lines. The brush marks of the painting are easy to see with a hand lens. The artist painted a three-tone background and then protected the surface with a coating that has aged over the years to a slight rainbow shimmer when the plate is viewed at an angle in the light.
There are no chips or cracks and the paint is not damaged. One side of the dish has a few thin, gray marks that appear to be pencil but may be rub marks from a silver article. They may be possible to remove and are minor and easy to overlook. The back of the piece has one spot near the rim that appears to be kiln damage, where the stand that supported the plate in the kiln caused a small chip-like area.
Overall, this small plate is very sweet and would make a pretty piece for a side table or shelf.
FREE SHIPPING IN THE USA.
Insurance and delivery confirmation are included in shipping for all our listings.
Thanks for looking and please email any questions.
International Buyers – Please Note:
- Import duties, taxes and charges are not included in the item price or shipping charges. These charges are the buyer’s responsibility.
- Please check with your country’s customs office to determine what these additional costs will be prior to offerding/buying.
- These charges are normally collected by the delivering freight (shipping) company or when you pick the item up – do not confuse them for additional shipping charges.
- We do not mark merchandise values below value or mark items as ‘gifts’ - US and International government regulations prohibit such behavior.
- Please allow at least one to two weeks or more for delivery, customs clearance times vary widely.
- Insurance is included in International shipping.
Visit My store: Phoenix Farm Store
When you offer on or purchase an item you agree to follow our store policies. Click here to review our policies:
Shipping and Handling Charges: shipping is usually viaUnited States Postal Serviceor United Parcel Service unless a different method is requested by a buyer. We charge the exact amount for shipping that the USPS or UPScharges us PLUSa handling feefor every item.This fee helps cover the costs of insurance and packing. If you are happy with our careful packing please leave the highest ratings for shipping. Thank you!
This item has been shown 0 times.