Antique1909 Town & Country Paint Pamphlet Cover Art Print Harrison Bros.& Co Inc
This item has been shown 38 times.
Antique1909 Town & Country Paint Pamphlet Cover Art Print Harrison Bros.& Co Inc:
ANTIQUE 1909Cover Art Printfor a Paint Catalog byHarrison & Bros. IncTown & Country line of Exterior PaintHeavy Cover Stock - Deep GreensUnexposed since 1909 ~ Sample Book Cover Paper SampleSuitable for framing in 9 x 12 frame*Image is a tipped on plate measuring 8.5 x 5.5and In Mint Condition* Frame in photo ids for illustration and is not included
This cover was used in 1909 on a 16 page full color booklet - a search will yield a current listing for the full bookletAnother search may bring you to a photo from Philadeliphia Free Library showing the store's interior
Originally, in 1865,The Grey's Ferry Chemical Works, then Harrison Brothers Chemical Co - leaders in sulphuric acid productionHarrison & Bros. Inc Philadelphia PAA Pionerer in the Manufacture of "Ready To Use" PaintOperations also New York, Boston, Chicago, Cincinnati,St Louis, New Orleans, Kansas City & Harrison Brothers and Company (also known as the Harrison Brothers Chemical Works) property was constantly changing with new factories, chemical processes, products, and a growing workforce. As the business expanded, so did the site. The workforce doubled to 400 people in 1894 (including 40 children), and the facilities grew to cover 30 acres, with 70 factories, two miles of railway tracks, and almost a mile of waterfront. It contained a power plant, a private restaurant, and an athletic field. By this time, the facility was producing 5,000 tons of white lead every year, a mineral that was used to tint lead paint (and some cosmetics) thanks to its density, opacity, fast-drying time, and smooth texture when combined with dryable oils. Philadelphia architectWilson Eyre, Jr.redesigned the main office building between 1888 and 1890. His Italianate design was likely an adaptation of the original building, which he refaced with a new exterior shell of stucco and brick and a top floor faced with four bays of round oculi. Due to their production of crucial chemical ingredients, Harrison Brothers became a pioneer of ready-mixed paint production. Prior to this time, paint was not readily available to the average citizen as it is today. Harrison Brothers produced nitric acid, muriatic acid, red and white lead, which they used to manufacture pigments and products like varnish and paint. Ready-mixed paints were a new industry in the mid-19thcentury, made available by improvements in tin cans during the Civil War. For the first time, consumers were able to easily paint their houses in an array of colors. As a result, house paint became a form of expression. With their “Town and Country” line of paints, Harrison Brothers grew to be one of the largest color manufacturers in the United States. Additional company offices opened in Maryland, New York, and Cincinnati, and 20 salesmen traveled the country promoting Harrison Brothers’ products.