Historically, Native Masks were mainly used for ceremonial purposes. The tribes felt as though these masks were representative of animals, myths and spiritual creatures. The Royal Canadian Mint has recreated the “Grandmother Moon Mask” in ultra high relief to translate this beautiful hand carved mask into a fine silver coin.
This coin is certified to be 99.99% fine silver with a diameter of 30 millimetres and a metal weight of 33.33 grams. Its reverse design is a faithful reproduction of the wooden mask that Richard Cochrane carved from a 58.4 cm (23 in) piece of oldgrowth Red Cedar retrieved from Stanley Park after the 2006 windstorm. Royal Canadian Mint engravers recreated the mask’s wood grain and preserved the two dark growth lines as well as the protective ring of eight New Zealand abalone shells. To Richard Cochrane and many of the First Nations tribes, the moon is indeed a sacred symbol that appears in countless First Nations traditions. This Aboriginal artist was indeed inspired to represent his interpretation of 'Grandmother Moon' smiling down at him and onto the earth. He cherished each moment of the two years that it took to create this master piece. The obverse features the effigy of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II by Susanna Blunt.
- The engraved Moon Mask has been created with attention to detail even representing the wood grain of the Red Cedar that was used to carve the actual wooden Moon Mask.
- The ultra high relief provides an even more unique perspective onto the wonder and beauty of the art itself.
- This amazing coin was created through a minting technique that builds the apex of the silver relief image to the extreme heights usually found only in Medallic art, where dimensional images are created through the casting processes of sculpture.
- Face Value: 25 dollars
- Mintage: 6,000
- Composition: 99.99% fine silver
- Weight (g): 30.76
- Diameter (mm): 36.15
- Edge: Plain
- Finish: Proof
- Certificate: Serialized
- Artist: Richard Cochrane
- Coin is encapsulated and presented in a Royal Canadian Mintbranded maroon clamshell case lined with a black flock and protected by a black sleeve.
- Finished Packaging Size: 67 mm x 67 mm
Please Noted the following:
1. Shipping Cost is varies depends upon Country, all shipping are done by CANADA POST,shipping for Both US/Canada is $6.50 (Canada Post Expedited Mail). Please email me for the shipping rate for the rest of the world depends on location. (Special shipping rate for this item only, no combined shipping).
2. Shipment for Personal Check will wait until bank clear.
3. If you are paying by Paypal, I can only ship it to the confirmed credit card/checkaddress.
4.All Canadian buyers are charged either HST or GST on shipping/Handling Charge ONLY. For BC Address, PST of 7% will applied after March 31, 2013. On both item and shipping, Failure to include payment for applicable sales tax may result in delays of processing your shipment.
If you would like to leave response, your positive response is greatly appreciated. If you do leave us response please leave 5 star ratings. This is very important to us because We work very hard to provide an honest business, quality items as described, excellent communication, and fast accurate shipping. If you have any problems please contact us prior to leaving response so We can take care of it. If you leave less than 5 stars without letting us know why then how do we know what you were not happy with and how can we know what needs improvement?