David Borden & Mothe - The Continuing Story Of Counterpoint, Pts. 9-12 - New Cd
This item has been shown 0 times.
David Borden & Mothe - The Continuing Story Of Counterpoint, Pts. 9-12 - New Cd:
Powered by Frooition Pro
Artist: David Borden & Mother Mallard
Runtime: Not Available
1. Continuing Story of Counterpoint, Pt. 9, The - (Part Nine 1980)
2. Continuing Story of Counterpoint, Pt. 10, The - (Part Ten 1987)
3. Continuing Story of Counterpoint, Pt. 11, The - (Part Eleven 1986)
4. Continuing Story of Counterpoint, Pt. 12 a, The - (Part Twelve A 1987)
5. Continuing Story of Counterpoint, Pt. 12 B, The - (Part Twelve B)
6. Continuing Story of Counterpoint, Pt. 12 C, The - (Part Twelve C)
Engineers: Todd Hutchinson, Alfred Grunwell.
Recorded at Calf Audio, Ithaca, New York.
Composer: David Borden.
Personnel: David Borden (synthesizer); Ellen Hargis (vocals); Les Thimmig (wind).
Recording information: Calf Audio, Ithaca NY.
Photographer: Todd Hutchinson.
Borden composed Parts 9-12 of his Counterpoint series mainly between 1986 and 1987, about a decade after the series' earliest pieces. At this point, he seems somewhat more adventurous, pushing against the boundaries of his own rules. Consequently, there is a noticeable development in the contrapuntal language, with somewhat softer timbres and perhaps a bit more melodic invention. "Part 11" features a continually shifting tonal center and many related (but varying) melodic themes. Compared to the tightly controlled structures of the earlier Counterpoint recordings, this is extravagant and occasionally almost giddy, and almost certainly the most colorful part in the entire series. "Part 9" and "Part 10" feature the wordless soprano of Mother Mallard regular Ellen Hargis and sometimes sound like Brian Eno's prototypical Music for Airports ambience combined with the rhythmic pulse of early Steve Reich. According to Borden, "Part 10" is further distinguished as the only part in the series that includes improvisation, supposedly on alto flute, although solos by tenor and soprano saxes are written in a loose, improvisational style. (Many listeners will probably find the alto solos sounding the most improvised.) "Part 12A" starts with a lovely interlocking mallet pattern, very reminiscent of Reich, from which Borden builds a musical structure, with some vocalese from Hargis and two related patterns of long notes contrasting with the busy mallet progression. In "Part 12B," tuned electronic percussion is prominent for the first time in the series, and the relentless repetition and shrill timbres acquire an urgency that begins to suggest a touch of Gothic prog rock in the manner of Univers Zero. Borden's monumental Counterpoint series is brought to a close with "12C," a limpid, strangely muted piece that Borden indicates is meant to sound "dreamlike" and "inconclusive." ~ Bill Tilland Welcome to MovieMars
- All items are Brand New.
- We offer unbeatable prices, quick shipping times and a wide selection second to none.
- Purchases come with a 30-day Satisfaction Guarantee (minus Shipping & Handling fees) on all unopened products.
- All items are from licensed Distributors. We do not deal with any Bootleg or Used items!
- Please visit our store where you'll find these same exact titles for even better prices!!
- Visa (through PayPal)
- MasterCard (through PayPal)
- American Express (through PayPal)
- Discover (through PayPal)
Shipping & Handling
- Within USA:
$2.99 ($2.99 each additional) Flat Fee - 5-10 business days via USPS (average 5 days). Hawaii and Alaska may take longer.
Add USPS Delivery Confirmation: $0.69 per item.
$7.99 ($7.99 each additional) Flat Fee - 8-14 business days via AIRMAIL. We are not responsible for Customs charges.
$7.99 ($7.99 each additional) Flat Fee - 9-15 business days via AIRMAIL. We are not responsible for Customs charges.
- Please allow 1-3 business days for your order to process and ship out. Total delivery time = Processing time + Shipping time. Ship times are shown above.
- Use Checkout to pay for all your items at the same time using a single payment.
- All CDs can play on any CD receiver, CD-ROM drive, Sony Playstation, etc.
- NC residents will be charged sales tax.
- We ship to all countries around the world.
- Payment for all items must be made within 10 Days.
- 30 Day Satisfaction Guarantee - All unopened items in which payment cleared within the last 30 days may be sent back to us for a full refund. Return shipping charges as well as original shipping and handling (S&H) charges will not be reimbursed. Refund will be issued by the original method of payment. No exchanges or store credits will be given. Refunds will only be issued for items returned.
- Payment must be made through secure CHECKOUT system.
- To combine items into one order, please wait for all sales to close before going through checkout (one time).