Early 1718 Newspaper 18th Century London Gazette Before Revolutionary War Uk
This item has been shown 0 times.
Early 1718 Newspaper 18th Century London Gazette Before Revolutionary War Uk:
Early 1718 Newspaper 18th Century LONDON GAZETTE Before Revolutionary War UK (Note: additional images are located below the description) Shown is an original & historic old newspaper, offered to enhance your collectible interest: THE LONDON GAZETTE, England, March 29, 1718
* Early 18th century
This issue is over 295 years old. Various news from London and other parts of Europe and more. This title is the oldest continuously published newspaper in the world which began in 1665 and is still in existence today. Also with some interesting advertisements as well.
A complete single sheet newspaper measuring about 7 by 11 1/2 inches in nice condition.
Historical Background: "When in the autumn of 1665 Charles II sought shelter in Oxford from the Great Plague, he and his courtiers wanted newspapers to read, yet feared to touch "The Intelligencer" or "The News," which, coming from London, might be infected. Therefore Leonard Litchfeld, the university printer, was authorized and ordered to bring out a local paper. On Tuesday, November 14, 1665, the first number of "The Oxford Gazette" appeared, and it continued afterwards through eleven weeks on Thursdays and Mondays. It was meagre enough, but, though comprised in only two double-columned pages of folio, each number contained nearly as much matter as one of Roger L'Estrange's papers, and it soon became a formidable rival to those papers, especially as Thomas Newcombe, the old printer of the Commonwealth organs, was allowed to reproduce its sheets in London "for the use of some members and gentlemen who desired them.
The plague was soon over and King Charles went back to Whitehall, but he was pleased with the Oxford effort and it was soon succeeded by "The London Gazette, which made its first appearance, labelled as No. 24, on February 5, 1666, and which has been kept alive, altering its size and character from time to time, down to this day."
An informative video regarding the rare newspapers hobby
is shown at the bottom of the listing!
Please Note: All of our offerings are 100% authentic! We do not offer reprints or reproductions of any kind. They are guaranteed to be original! See below the photo for additional information related to Shipping, our Return Policy,
Premium Packaging, Certificates of Authenticity, and other offerings by
Timothy Hughes Rare & Early Newspapers.
The following video provides additional information
about collecting rare newspapers:
- A U.S. winner pays $5.00 S&H. Combined shipping is available for additional items won (within a 7 day period) for only $1.00 per item (excluding bound volumes) provided the items are paid for simultaneously.
- All U.S. orders include insurance and are guaranteed (at no additional cost to the buyer).
- All U.S. bound orders include delivery confirmation (if sent by USPS) and/or tracking (if sent by UPS).
- Expedited shipping is available for all orders upon request. Every effort is made to ship all orders within 24 business hours of receiving payment.
- Some items may be shipped 1st Class, especially if they are small. We will still provide tracking and insure them at our expense.
If the automated checkout process does not properly combine shipping according to our stated shipping policy, please contact us to obtain a revised invoice. Thank you. International S&H Policy...
- Upon purchasing, international winners should contact us for an invoice which includes S&H to their location.
- Import duties, taxes and charges are not included in the item price or shipping charges. These charges are the buyer’s responsibility. Please check with your country’s customs office to determine what these additional costs will be prior to offerding/buying. Note: We will not falsify customs declarations or mark an item as "gift" in order to avoid customs fees.
- If insurance is desired, be in touch for a quote. All insured orders are subject to customs, duties, & taxes for the amount insured and are subject to item 2 above.
- Large and/or brittle issues must be shipped flat and are required to be shipped by Priority Mail International (PMI), often at a weight of 3 pounds or more - quite expensive. Please contact us for a pre-purchase/pre-offerding S&H quote if you are concerned about the potential S&H cost.
- International purchasers are encouraged to take advantage of our combined shipping policy to lower the cost per item S&H.
Certificate of Authenticity... A certificate of authenticity is also available for an additional $3.00, which includes both the issue date and title, and certifies, by Timothy Hughes Rare & Early Newspapers, the issue to be authentic & original. If desired, purchase this directly (through ) at: Certificate of Authenticity. About Us... Contact Information...
We have been dealers in rare newspapers for over 37 years, currently serve as a consultant to the Freedom Forum Newseum , and are members of the American Antiquarian Society. offer with confidence knowing that every item we offer is guaranteed to be absolutely genuine.
View My Other Offerings
More Information About Us
Timothy Hughes Rare Newspapers
P.O. Box 3636
Williamsport, PA 17701-8636
E-mail: contact us via messages
Hours: M-F, 7:30-4:00 EST
If the winner would like to have either the Premium Packaging with an $5.00 folder or the $3.00 Certificate included with their issue, please purchase these directly through using the links provided. These items are also available through our cross-promoted items and through our store.
Note: In an effort to honor 's policies and our loyal customers who watch our listings,
we do not end sale items early - off . We hope you understand!