East Lothian Landscape Important Early Oil Painting By John Renton (1774-1841)
This item has been shown 0 times.
East Lothian Landscape Important Early Oil Painting By John Renton (1774-1841):
- See our other art
- View the Priory Fine Art website
- Exhibited; The Royal Academy, London, 1812.
- Exhibited; The Arts Council of Great Britain, London, no.45.
- Literature; The Border Antiquities of England and Scotland by Sir Walter Scott, (London : 1812-1815), engraved by John Greig (fl.1800-1843). The last image in the photograph section shows a copy of the engraving.
- Painting - 36cm (14") x 28cm (11")
- Frame - 56cm (22") x 51cm (20")
An important early landscape painting depicting figures before the tower near Garvald that is a rare example of the workof John Renton. The painting hasa wonderful history having been exhibited at the Royal Academy in 1812. The picture was produced as an engraving by John Greig for Sir Walter Scott's 1814 book The Border Antiquities of England and Scotland. More recently the painting has been exhibited by The Arts Council of Great Britain. The painting is presented in it's original exhibition frame, the frame with various inscriptions recto and with an original Arts Council label verso.Condition
The painting is in very fine original condition though with some light surface abrasions and in need of a light clean. Presented in it's original exhibition frame, the frame sympathetically restored and in very good condition.Artist Information
-General Information Hang your investments on the wall
Art has long been regarded as a strong and safe investment. Ellen Kelleher a personal finance reporter for The Financial Times recently wrote an article recommending art, particularly in the $500 - $50,000 range as a sound long term investment with an impressive current average annual increase of 9.7 percent. See Hang your investments on the wall by Ellen Kelleher Published October 22 2010 by the Financial Times.About Us
Priory Fine Art specialises in high quality 17th - 20th Century British and European Fine Art. Our team have a combined experience of over 80 years in the field of fine art and have together handled the sale of many millions of pounds worth of art. As well as our own team of specialists we have close contacts from the leading sale houses who often assist us with particular pieces.Postage and Packing
All of our paintings are professionally packaged in rigid hardboard boxes to ensure they reach you in pristine condition. Orders to the UK mainland are sent using a fully insured overnight courier service, orders to the rest of the World are sent on prompt and insured signed for services and are usually delivered within three working days.Certificate of Authenticity
Every item we sell is fully guaranteed to be as described and a signed photo certificate is issued with every painting. We use the same cataloguing terms as most major sale houses, the terms that appear in the listing are also used on the certificates of authenticity. The cataloguing terms that we use have the following meanings;
- where the bold coloured text which forms the listing's heading reads 'by' and is followed by the artist's full name (or the artist's initials, if his full name is unrecorded), the work is in our opinion by the artist;
- where the expression "attributed to" is used, the work is in our opinion possibly a work by the artist, in whole or in part;
- where the expression 'circle of' is used, the work is in our opinion a work of the period of the artist and showing his influence;
- where the expression 'follower of' is used, the work is in our opinion a work executed in the artist's style but not necessarily by a pupil;
- where the expression 'manner of' is used, the work is in our opinion a work executed in the artist's style but of a later date;
- where the term "after" is used, the work is in our opinion a copy or pastiche (of any date) of a work by the artist. Where the term 'signed...' is used in our opinion the work has been signed by the artist, where the term 'with signature...' or 'bears signature...' is used in our opinion the signature is by a hand other than that of the artist.
Every item we sell is covered by a no quibble 14 day money back guarantee.
In addition every lot which is described as being 'by' a certain artist without qualification is warranted by Priory Fine Art Limited for a period of one year. All items are warranted by Priory Fine Art Limited for a period of one year in respect of age and medium (for details see return section below.)
Our preferred method of payment is credit/debit card. Please call 01636 707 762 to pay by card.
We also accept payment through PayPal, by cheque/postal order or bybank transfer
We require payment within 48 hours of the end of the listing unless we have agreed otherwise before the end of the sale.
About Priory Fine Art
Priory Fine Art specialises in 17th - 20th Century British and European Fine Art. Our team have a combined experience of over 80 years in the field of fine art. We issue a certificate of authenticity with every painting that we sell.
We aim to provide a first class service with a personal touch, if you would like to discuss any painting we have for sale please call us on 01636 707 762.
All items are covered by a no quibble 14 day money back guarantee.
In addition Priory Fine Art Limited warrants for a period of one year from the date of sale that where the larger white text which forms a listing's heading states without qualification that a work is by a named author that that item is an autograph work by that author and not a forgery or reproduction of any kind.
Where any representations regarding age, authorship, culture, date, origin, period, source or medium is made in the larger white text which forms a listing's heading this is also warranted by Priory Fine Art Limited for a period of one year from the date of sale.
Only the larger white text that forms a listing's heading indicates what is being warranted by Priory Fine Art Limited. Priory Fine Art Limited's warranty does not apply to supplemental material that appears below the larger white text (i.e. the smaller text which forms the main body of each listing) and Priory Fine Art Limited is not responsible for errors or omissions in such material.
The warranty does not apply to any heading which is stated to be a qualified opinion. The warrant is not assignable and shall apply only to the original buyer of the lot as shown on the original invoice issued by Priory Fine Art Limited when the lot was sold. The buyer's sold and exclusive remedy is the cancellation of the sale and the refund of the original purchase price paid for the lot.