April 15th, 2014 First day of Passover April 15th, 2014 Father Damien Day April 15th, 2014 Tax Day April 16th, 2014 Emancipation Day April 17th, 2014 Maundy Thursday April 18th, 2014 Orthodox Good Friday April 18th, 2014 Good Friday April 19th, 2014 Holy Saturday April 19th, 2014 Orthodox Holy Saturday April 20th, 2014 Easter Sunday April 20th, 2014 Orthodox Easter April 21st, 2014 Patriot's Day April 21st, 2014 San Jacinto Day April 21st, 2014 Easter Monday April 21st, 2014 Orthodox Easter Monday April 22nd, 2014 Earth Day April 22nd, 2014 Oklahoma Day April 22nd, 2014 Last day of Passover April 23rd, 2014 Administrative Professionals Day April 23rd, 2014 World Book and Copyright Day April 25th, 2014 World Malaria Day April 25th, 2014 Arbor Day April 26th, 2014 World Intellectual Property Day April 27th, 2014 Yom HaShoah April 28th, 2014 Confederate Memorial Day April 28th, 2014 World Day for Safety and Health at Work April 29th, 2014 Day to Remember Chemical Warfare Victims May 1st, 2014 Law Day May 1st, 2014 National Day of Prayer May 1st, 2014 Loyalty Day May 3rd, 2014 World Press Freedom Day May 4th, 2014 Rhode Island Independence Day May 5th, 2014 Cinco de Mayo May 6th, 2014 Primary Election Day Indiana May 6th, 2014 Yom HaAtzmaut May 8th, 2014 Truman Day May 8th, 2014 Time to Remember Lost Lives From World War II May 9th, 2014 'Confederate Memorial Day' observed May 10th, 2014 Confederate Memorial Day May 11th, 2014 Mother's Day May 13th, 2014 Primary Election Day West Virginia May 14th, 2014 World Migratory Bird Day May 15th, 2014 International Day of Families May 15th, 2014 Peace Officers Memorial Day May 16th, 2014 National Defense Transportation Day May 17th, 2014 World Information Society Day May 17th, 2014 Armed Forces Day
Groton Ct Handwritten Ledger New London County/whaling/maritime History 1843-45 For Sale
FANTASTIC, ORIGINAL MID-19TH CENTURY LEDGER FROM THE PERKINS & DABOLL COUNTRY STORE IN GROTON, CONNECTICUT. This terrific early volume encompasses a time period ofnearlya yearand a half, spanning from November 14th, 1843 - February 20th, 1845 and comprising some 284 pages of entries. Store carried atremendous diversity of merchandise, as evidencedbythe richassortment of entries found throughout. Among the many items found here include Almanacs, Axes, Brandy, Calico, Calf Skin, Candles, Cartage to N[ew] London, Cinnamon, Cod Fish, Coffee, Cookies, Dye, Gin, Ginger, Honey, Leather, Lime, Lozenges, Molasses, New Testament Bibles, Poultry, Rum, Soap, Shoes, Snuff, Suspenders, Tea, Tobacco, etc..Volume contains the names of numerous store customers, making this a treasure trove of 19th century local genealogy and history. Among the many surnames include Adams, Alexander, Allyn, Avery, Bailey, Babcock, Binks, Bristen, Buddington, Burrows, Chapman, Chipman, Church, Comstock, Cromwell, Daboll, Daniels, Dart, Davis, Edgecomb, Fellows, Fenner, Forsyth, Freeman, Gallup, Geer, Glaskow, Guyant, Haley, Harrison, Heath, Higgins. Hewlett, Holdredge, Howlings, Jeffrey, Johnson, Lamb, Lester, Limas, Miner, Mitchell, Merrit, Morgan, Morris, Morrison, Moxley, Niles, Park, Perkins, Redfield, Roach, Rose, Rouse, Ryan, Thompson, Turner, White, Whiteman, Williams, Wilson, Winchester, etc.Both the location and time period of this ledger are notable. For several decades in the 19th century, New London Harbor, bordered by the towns of New London to the west and Groton to the east, was second only to New Bedford, Massachusetts as the busiest whaling port in all the world. The fleet of Yankee whalers peaked around the year 1846 when some 736 whaling vessels were registered under the American flag. From 1846 to 1851, the trade still averaged a whopping 640 vessels with the majority sailing out of New Bedford and New London/Groton. Nantucket and Sag Harbor, New York also saw considerable whaling activity during this time. The infusion of capital from the whaling industry funded much of the architecture still present throughout both Groton and New London. Volume waspenned at the peak of the whaling boom in this famous harbor town.Groton is a town located on the Thames River in New London County, Connecticut. It was established in 1705, when it separated from New London, Connecticut. The Old Mystic Baptist Church, founded in Groton, was the first Baptist church in Connecticut. A hundred years before the town was established, the Nehantic people were settled in the area between the Thames and Pawcatuck rivers. The Nehantics were brutally attacked by another band of natives. These invaders burned their wigwams, destroyed their cornfields and food supplies, and a few possessions were stolen. Many of the Nehantic warriors were tomahawked. The survivors fled to Misquamicut in what is now Rhode Island.The newcomers to the land were the Pequots. The Pequots were a branch of the Mohawk people who moved eastward into the Connecticut River Valley, displacing existing settlements of indigenous peoples. The Pequots finally rested and made their headquarters in what is now Groton. They built three villages at Groton Heights, Fort Hill, and Mystic. The Pequots made canoes from burning out the insides of straight tree trunks. The rivers in Groton were the Pequots' transportation routes: on the west side was the deep Thames River; on the east, the Mystic River with shelving shores and a safe anchorage.On the south was Fishers Island Sound, part of Long Island Sound, rimmed by a ragged, rocky shoreline with many coves and inlets and three sandy beaches at Eastern Point, Bluff Point and Groton Long Point. Between the rivers the land was undulating and rough, with the exception of Poquonnock Plains in the center, which was a smooth stretch of land that went to the sound. To the north of Poquonnock lay the center of Groton until 1836.The summer of 1614 was the first time the Pequots encountered white settlers. They started trading furs for the settlers' goods, such as steel knives, needles and boots. In 1633 the Dutch bought land from the Pequots and granted permission to the River Indians to bring their fur for trade. Meanwhile the English bought land for settlement from the local tribes. The Dutch had unintentionally killed the Pequots' chief. This prompted revenge by the Pequot tribe, who then attacked. Soon after, the new leader of the Pequots, Sassacus, realized that they were in grave danger because both the English and the surrounding Indians hated them.In 1630 John Winthrop the Younger stayed behind in Groton to take care of the manor while his father led 100 Puritans to Boston. He became a business agent for the colonists, but in 1631 he sailed a ship in search of remedies. He became New England's first recognized scientist.The first settlers of Groton were subsistence farmers. The land that they had to work with made it very difficult in the beginning. It was mainly made up of rocks and trees; earlier, glaciers had wiped away all of the top soil. Therefore, all of the rocks and trees had to be removed before they could work the ground. Livestock was also very important to the settlers. Cattle provided dairy; pigs and sheep provided animal protein [and wool]; and oxen did the heavy farm work. In 1660, gray wolves in the area had become such a problem that the settlers offered to give 20 shillings for each wolf that was killed.Though the land was poor, access to the region's waterways left room for commerce and trade. Groton became a town of oceangoing settlers. Most of the community began to build ships, and soon the first traders made their way to Boston and Plymouth to trade for food, tools, weapons and clothing. John Leeds was the earliest shipbuilder, coming as a sea captain from Kent, England. Leeds built a 20-ton brigantine, a two-masted sailing ship with square-rigged sails on the foremast and fore-and-aft sails on the mainmast; Thomas Starr built a 67-ton square-sterned vessel; and Thomas Latham launched a 100-ton brig with mast standing and fully rigged on the Groton bank. The sturdy ships built in Groton engaged in very profitable trade with the islands of the Caribbean. Many ships and their contents were lost due to storms, but the profit was worth the risk.Rough times came to Groton when the French and Indian War ended and the Sugar Act of 1764 and the Stamp Act of 1765 were passed. And once Parliament closed down the port of Boston, it crippled Groton's commerce. On September 6th, 1781, the Revolutionary War Battle of Groton Heights was fought between a small militia detachment led by William Ledyard and numerous British forces led by Benedict Arnold. No one at Fort Griswold had expected an attack, especially after six years of false alarms. At sunrise, a force of 1,700 British regulars landed on both sides of the mouth of the Thames River.The British fleet had sailed from Long Island the evening before, and only a sudden shift in the wind prevented a surprise attack during the night; it was 9 a.m. the next day before the transports could come ashore to land the troops. Benedict Arnold led an 800-man detachment, which destroyed stockpiles of goods and naval stores. Arnold had been unaware of the orders given to spare most of the town. He was also unaware that one of the ships that they were to destroy was filled with gunpowder. Upon ignition the ship burst into flames and created an uncontrollable fire which destroyed 143 buildings.Later, a British force of 800 men moved towards Fort Griswold, which was garrisoned by 164 militia and local men. The British sent a flag of surrender to Fort Griswold but William Ledyard refused and returned the flag. The British then assaulted Fort Griswold. The memorial for the Battle of Groton Heights was put up in 1830 for the 88 men and boys who were killed at Fort Griswold. Fort Griswold is currently the only intact memorial in town left from the Revolutionary War. The 135-foot-tall monument has become the town's symbol and is now featured on the Groton town seal.Shortly after the Revolutionary War, Groton started to re-establish its commercial activities. Shipbuilders began to build again: in 1784 "Victory" was launched, in 1785 "Success" was launched, and in 1787 five sloops were built, along with the 164-ton "Nancy". Shipbuilders along the Mystic River were the busiest. These ships went on trips to Florida, and the resulting profits made Mystic the most thriving part of the town. Groton had been putting out many vessels, but in 1723 came big shipbuilding. It was the largest merchantman built before the Revolution, weighing at 700 tons. Ships were being sailed to Lisbon and England. Soon enough, England and France were fighting. Since the United States took a neutral position and continued trade with both sides, profits were large. Between 1784 and 1800, 32 vessels were built in Groton. 28 more were built from 1800 to 1807, when business came to a sudden stop with the Embargo Act.In June 1812 the United States declared war on Great Britain. Most of the United States' small navy was landlocked in the Thames River. This frightened the people in Groton for fear a repeat of the affairs of 1781, and many residents fled inland for safety. Those that didn't flee demanded protection and militia. These residents built a fort on a hill of rock that held one cannon and maintained constant guard. The fort was named Fort Rachel, after a woman that lived nearby. The British never attacked but created a blockade that ruined Groton's trade.On August 12th, 1814, the day after the British attacked Stonington, some men from Mystic lured a British barge to Groton Long Point, which gave them 2,600 dollars in prize money. The men in Mystic captured a sloop, the cargo of which they later sold for 6,000 dollars. Seventeen Mystic men also tried out a new weapon, the spar torpedo, to rid themselves of the unwelcome guards. They brought the torpedo from New York; it was 30 feet long, 7 inches in diameter, and had a 12-foot crossbar at one end. The men failed to sink the HMS "Ramillies". On their first attempt the torpedo went into the water; on the second attempt the explosive caught on the Ramillies’ cable and exploded. All the men made it safely to the shore while being fired at by the British ship and the American sentries at Eastern Point.Groton received word that the war was over on February 21st, 1815. The land-locked frigates left the Thames in April, leaving Groton to resume its marine pursuits. After the War of 1812 whaling became a very important part of Groton's economy, but most of the expeditions were still for seal skins. Before 1820 sealers went to Antarctica, where their ships would drop them off. They would kill the seals and then prepare the skins for some weeks, until their ship returned for them. By 1830 whaling had become Mystic's main business. By 1846 Groton became second among the world's whaling ports. Whaling was difficult and dangerous, but boys would go out to sea to make their fortune nonetheless, in the hope that some of them would eventually come to command a vessel.In 1865 Ebenezer Morgan made one of the most profitable voyages. He sold his cargo for 150,000 dollars. Three years later he raised the first American flag on Alaskan territory, and there he collected 45,000 seal skins. When he retired it was said that his estate totaled up to 1 million dollars. William H. Allen, another son of Groton, spent 25 years commanding a whale ship. Old sailors said that "whales rose to the surface and waited to be harpooned." When he retired he spent 12 years working as a selectman.In 1849 the discovery of gold in California created a demand for speed that resulted in the creation of the clipper ship, a fast sailing ship with multiple masts and a square rig. The most important vessel built at the Mystic River Shipyard was the clipper ship "Andrew Jackson". In 1859 it sailed from New York to San Francisco in a record time of 89 days and 4 hours. Both clippers and sailing packets were built in the shipyards of the Mystic River at that time. The Mystic shipyards started building ships with a greater cargo capacity after the Civil War.Gideon Welles, during the Civil War, wanted three experimental ironclad steamers to be built in private shipyards and used against the Confederacy's wooden fleet. A company in Groton was chosen to build a bomb-proof steamer designed by C.S. Bushnell of New Haven. Some 100 men were hired, and a big shed was built so construction could continue rain or shine. The ship was ready for launching in 130 days. There were many skeptics who believed the ship would corrode once it hit the salt water or sink, and there were very few who thought it might float. Thousands came to watch Galena's launch on Valentine's Day 1862. Reporters commented that she floated like a duck. When it came time for the "Galena" to enter battle she was pierced 13 times. Thirteen of the crew members were killed and 11 were wounded from flying metal fragments. During the Civil War, 56 steamships were built for government service in shipyards on both sides of the Mystic River.After the war there were dozens of excess war steamships, and after 1870 shipbuilding moved up to Noank within the Groton town limits. One of the largest shipyards, Palmer Shipyard, had been established in Noank in 1827. A marine railway built in Groton in 1860 allowed them to pull vessels out of the water for repairs, which brought in a lot of business and money. The shipyard was running up to 1913 when one of the Palmer brothers died, but during World War I the shipyard was used again. Iron ships began to be demanded, and their construction attracted workers to Groton. Housing was beginning to run short, so Groton Realty had to hurry to build hotels and cottages. The ships which brought the workers in turn also brought more business to the Realty.Groton used to include what is now the town of Ledyard, which separated from Groton in 1836. The original center of Groton, still known as Center Groton, is at the present-day intersection of Route 184 and Route 117, now in the north-central part of town, due to the departure of Ledyard to the north. Groton Center was the location of the town's first school, church, tavern and stagecoach shop. In the 20th century, the shipbuilding industry moved from the Mystic River to the Thames River. Electric Boat is today the town's largest employer.During World War II, Electric Boat completed submarines every two weeks. In 1954, Electric Boat launched the USS "Nautilus", the world's first nuclear-powered submarine. Presently, the "Nautilus" is decommissioned and permanently berthed at the U.S. Navy Submarine Force Library and Museum. Due to the long-standing history of submarines in the town, and the fact that Groton has one of the largest submarine bases in the world, some people refer to Groton as the "Submarine Capital of the World". The National World War II Submarine Memorial - East, including parts of USS "Flasher" (SS-249), is also located in Groton.Condition: Rare book remains in good condition [see images]. Folio bound in original leather-backed stiff marbled boards; moderate cover wear, mild toning,some light damp staining,scattered minor spotting, a few ink smudges, etc., generally clean with ink bold and legible throughout. Folio contains284 hand-numbered pages bearing manuscript entries, with store name hand-titled on front endpaper. Oblong shaped volume measures approx 16" tall x 6.5" wide x 1" thick. Quite a find and a very worthy acquisition indeed.Payment and Shipping: Please see our response and offer with confidence. Never a reserve and very low opening offer as always. For international shipping quote, please contact us. buyers with no established response must contact us before offerding. Massachusetts residents must add 6.25% sales tax or include dealer tax resale number. Payment must be received within 7 days after close of sale. Thanks for your interest!
On Jul-11-13 at 19:10:38 PDT, seller added the following information:
This item has been shown times.
Groton Ct Handwritten Ledger New London County/whaling/maritime History 1843-45: $114