Henry Flipper Slave 1st Black African American West Point Grad Buffalo Soldier
This item has been shown 4 times.
Henry Flipper Slave 1st Black African American West Point Grad Buffalo Soldier:
I will be listing a fabulous Collection of CABINET CARD PHOTOS tonight with beautiful images of late 1800's - early 1900's AFRICAN AMERICAN'S. I do offer combined shipping so please see my other listings.
For your offerding considerationin this sale is the following Cabinet Card Photo:
- Lot # : 1
- Comments : I believe this is an extremely rare, and historically significant,Cabinet Card Photo of a fairly Infamous African American. In researching the image, I came across an almost identical image of HENRY OSSIAN FLIPPER (see photos) and in comparing that image to this one I believe it is I fact an image of Mr. Flipper while a Cadet at West Point. Wikipedia has a detailed history on Mr. Flipper but following are some of the historical highlights of his life:
- He was born a SLAVE in 1856. Flipper was born into slavery in Thomasville, Georgia the eldest of five brothers. His mother, Isabelle Flipper, and his father, Festus Flipper, a shoemaker and carriage-trimmer, were owned by Ephraim G. Ponder, a wealthy slave dealer.
- He was the first African American to Graduate from the United States Military Academy at West Point in 1877
- He earned a Commission as a Second Lieutenant in the U.S. Army
- He was assigned to A Troopand he became the first non-white officer to lead Buffalo Soldiers of the 10th Cavalry
- Flipper received a Dishonorable Discharge from the Army under dubious conditions and many years later, under petition of his descendants, President Bill Clinton pardoned him. Subsequently, a bust of Flipper was unveiled at West Point. Since then, an annual Henry O. Flipper Award has been granted to graduating cadets at the Academy who exhibit "leadership, self-discipline, and perseverance in the face of unusual difficulties.
- I believe the Uniform in the Photo is a Cadet Dress Uniform consisting of Jacket and Pants. I am not exactly sure of the yearthe photowas taken but believe this to be one of the Uniforms assigned to the Cadets at this time.
- The initials "L.I." appear on the Collar of the Cadet Jacket. I have not been able to figure out what the significance of the "L.I." is but it may be "Leadership Identification" or "Leadership Insiginia". If anyone can clear this up it would be appreciated and info added to the listing.
- The name "Frank Robinson" is hand written across the base of the card, potentially an attempt by a previous owner to associate the card with another famous American baseball player. Also, imprinted / embossed at the base of the card is "Carl Hug (or "Heeg" ? - see photo) Jefferson City". I could not find where in his career Mr. Flipper was in Jefferson City but perhaps Mr Hug / Heeghad traveled to West Point to take the Photos? Again, based on my research I believe this image is of Mr. Flipper but please do your own research and image comparison verification. It is not identified as being Mr Flipper so it is being sold as-is.
- Cabinet Card Measurement : 5" x 7"
- Condition : Photograph is in good condition, the lower right corner has a piece missing but not effecting the align="center">SELLERS TRADE PRACTICES:
I want your offerding and Purchasing experience with me to be a satisfactory one in every way. I have provided a few thoughts below to help you understand my practices and what has proven to work successfully for me and over 5000 of my customers in ensuring an above satisfactory transaction here on . Please let me know if you have any questions or comments!response : I gladly provide POSTIVE response once our transaction has beencompleted to your satisfaction and I have recieved your Positive response.
PAYMENT: I accept Paypal payment and you should pay for your items within 4 days of the sale close.I use 's system for payment reminder and notification.
LISTING / ITEM DESCRIPTION: Please ask questions - I try and describe items as best I can,and add corresponding Photos, but I don't always know what may be important to you.
RETURN POLICY: I accept returns for full refundwithin 7 days of the sale close date if your receive the item and feel it was not as described. I do require you to contact me first, before returning the item,to discuss however so I have a chance to understand your concerns. The best policy for both of us is for you to ask questions prior to offerding so please don't hesitate to contact me.An item sold "as-is", which I don't often do - only when I don't have the ability to test something or don't know how to work it, is not refundable.
COMBINED SHIPPING: I offer Combined Shipping Services where it makes sense. I often list similar type items each week and have many buyers buy more than one item during a single night. In those cases, I will send you an invoice after your first purchase. If I see you have bought a second item, I will not send another Invoice until all items have closed that night. It is not unusual for me to have one Buyer buy 5 or more items in an evening so this saves you and I email time.
SHIPPING TIME: I normally ship within 48 hours of recieving your payment, often same or next day.
DOMESTIC: Local Pick up is always an option. Item must be picked up within 10 days of sale end or item will be considered abandoned, item will be relisted and money will not be refunded.I no longer offer First Class shipping on Domestic purchases. Unfortunatley, too many of my items have gotten "lost" in the mail that do not have tracking.For large items that do not fit into Priority Boxes,I use either brand new, heavy card board boxes to protect your purchase or similar boxes that have been used but still appear new. I do not ship in weak, damaged boxes. I securely pack and ship items to you the way I would want to have them shipped to me. I do add a cost to cover my packaging materials.
INTERNATIONAL: I am very happy to have International buyers and do shipmany of my items Internationally however shipping items Internationally from the U.S. is getting more and more complex and confusing so please continue reading. I offer only Priority Mail on all items in my Listings regardless of weight. I add $2.00 for International Buyers orders using Priority Boxes. Larger items not fitting in Priority Boxeswill have a fee added (my cost) for packing materials such as Boxes, Peanuts, Bubble Wrap, etc. All items used for packing are NEW.Also, recently numerous foreign countries are changing their policies regarding US Postal Services which is causing some issues between what the Calculator will show you prior to offerding and what the US Shiping Services are actually charging when I take the package for shipment. I think there is a delay in implimentation of these new policies by in the calculator or they may not be aware of them all and therefore they are not communicated through the Selling system. A few examples I have recently run into: The UK no longer allows Insurance on US Priority Packages being shipped there. Additionally, they now have a limit of $600 for Insurance using Express Mail. Argentina has a limit to the size of package they will allow. Neither of these issues will show up when you are looking at the Calculator or when I send the invoice (unfortunatley). I therefore reserve the right to explain these scenarios to you when I learn of them and offer options (most likely resulting in higher costs to you through other shipping methods) for delivery to you. If we can not reach agreement in these cases, I also reserve the right to cancel the sale and your Purchaseand will refund your payment less Paypals transaction fees I have incurred. Additionally, requires signature confirmation on any item shipped to a Buyer over $250.00 per the Buyer Protection Plan. In that I run 99% of my sales on as sales with low starting offers and , I dont know an item may sell for more than $250.00 until after the sale is over. In those cases, I will modify the shipping cost to you to reflect US Express Mail Service costs on the Invoice (Express always will be higher cost than Priority per the US Postal Service Rates) as Express Mail has Signature Confirmation. Express Mail allows Insurance only up to $600 and US Postal Global Express has many, many Restrictions so UPS or FEDEX may be the best and only option for shipping items over $600 that will also offer Signature Confirmation and Insurance. UPS and FEDEX have dramatically higher prices than US Postal Service options. I will not ship items over $250.00 without both Signature Confirmation and Insurance so please be aware there could be large cost differences in shipping costs between what is shown on the Calculator and what you may ultimatley pay. Please contact me prior to offerding if you have any questions about this.
SALES TAX: As required, I do charge Sales Tax in Sales made to Florida Residents.
Thanks, and Good Luck!
Henry Flipper Slave 1st Black African American West Point Grad Buffalo Soldier: