Historic Abraham Lincoln Thanksgiving Day Proclamation Civil War 1863 Newspaper For SaleHistoric ABRAHAM LINCOLN Thanksgiving Day Proclamation CIVIL WAR 1863 Newspaper (Note: additional images are located below the description) Shown is an original & historic old newspaper, offered to enhance your collectible interest: NEW YORK TIMES, Oct. 4, 1863
* President Abraham Lincoln
* Thanksgiving Day proclamation (historic)
* Now a National Holiday - Civil War
Although almost every President since George Washington has issued a proclamation for a "day of Thanksgiving", typically celebrated in November but at other times of the year as well, it was Abraham Lincoln who formalized Thanksgiving Day to be celebrated the fourth Thursday of every year and making it a national holiday.
Appearing at the top of the front page is: "A PROCLAMATION" "By the President of the United States of America" which begins: "The year that is drawing toward its close has been filled with the blessings of fruitful fields and healthful skies. To these bounties, which are so constantly enjoyed that we are prone to forget the Source from which they come..." with much more, and including: "...to set apart and observe the last Thursday of November next as a day of Thanksgiving and prayer to our beneficent Father...". The document is signed in type by the President: Abraham Lincoln, created just the day before on October 3 (see).
Great to have this notable content at the top of the front page, as other newspapers printed this report on inside pages. Complete in 8 pages, very nice condition.
An informative video regarding the rare newspapers hobby
is shown at the bottom of the listing!
Please Note: All of our offerings are 100% authentic! We do not offer reprints or reproductions of any kind. They are guaranteed to be original! See below the photo for additional information related to Shipping, our Return Policy,
Premium Packaging, Certificates of Authenticity, and other offerings by
Timothy Hughes Rare & Early Newspapers.
The following video provides additional information
about collecting rare newspapers:
- A U.S. winner pays $7.00 S&H. Combined shipping is available for additional items won (within a 7 day period) for only $1.00 per item (excluding bound volumes) provided the items are paid for simultaneously.
- All U.S. orders include insurance and are guaranteed (at no additional cost to the buyer).
- All U.S. bound orders include delivery confirmation (if sent by USPS) and/or tracking (if sent by UPS).
- Expedited shipping is available for all orders upon request. Every effort is made to ship all orders within 24 business hours of receiving payment.
- Some items may be shipped 1st Class, especially if they are small. We will still provide tracking and insure them at our expense.
If the automated checkout process does not properly combine shipping according to our stated shipping policy (highest single item S&H plus $1 per each additional item), please contact us to obtain a revised invoice. Thank you. International S&H Policy...
- Upon purchasing, international winners should contact us for an invoice which includes S&H to their location.
- Import duties, taxes and charges are not included in the item price or shipping charges. These charges are the buyer’s responsibility. Please check with your country’s customs office to determine what these additional costs will be prior to offerding/buying. Note: We will not falsify customs declarations or mark an item as "gift" in order to avoid customs fees.
- If insurance is desired, be in touch for a quote. All insured orders are subject to customs, duties, & taxes for the amount insured and are subject to item 2 above.
- Large and/or brittle issues must be shipped flat and are required to be shipped by Priority Mail International (PMI), often at a weight of 3 pounds or more - quite expensive. Please contact us for a pre-purchase/pre-offerding S&H quote if you are concerned about the potential S&H cost.
- International purchasers are encouraged to take advantage of our combined shipping policy to lower the cost per item S&H.
Certificate of Authenticity... A certificate of authenticity is also available for an additional $3.00, which includes both the issue date and title, and certifies, by Timothy Hughes Rare & Early Newspapers, the issue to be authentic & original. If desired, purchase this directly (through ) at: Certificate of Authenticity. About Us... Contact Information...
We have been dealers in rare newspapers for over 38 years, currently serve as a consultant to the Freedom Forum Newseum , and are members of the American Antiquarian Society. offer with confidence knowing that every item we offer is guaranteed to be absolutely genuine.
View My Other Offerings
More Information About Us
Timothy Hughes Rare Newspapers
P.O. Box 3636
Williamsport, PA 17701-8636
E-mail: contact us via messages
Hours: M-F, 7:30-4:00 EST
If the winner would like to have either the Premium Packaging with a $12.00 folder or the $3.00 Certificate included with their issue, please purchase these directly through using the links provided. These items are also available through our cross-promoted items and through our store.
Note: In an effort to honor 's policies and our loyal customers who watch our listings,
we do not end sale items early - off . We hope you understand!
This item has been shown 0 times.