Japanese Craft Wood Boxwood Sculpture Carving Netsuke Skull Snake Frog For SaleFAQ Shipping Store Free Shipping Items sales Only Buy It Now Only About Us
Store Categories:Japanese Craft Wood Boxwood Sculpture Carving Netsuke Skull Snake Frog
This is a very nice hand carved wood ( Boxwood ) NETSUKE. The carving work is very detailed and lively. Size is about 2" . Artist Signed.This is a lovely piece add to your collection or a great gift for any occassions!
A netsuke is a form of small sculpture which developed in Japan over a period of more than three hundred years. Netsuke served both functional and aesthetic purposes. The kimono, the traditional form of Japanese dress, had no pockets. Women would tuck small personal items into their sleeves, but men suspended their Tobacco pouches, pipes, purses or writing implements, on a silk cord, from their obi (sash). These hanging objects are called sagemono. To stop the cord from slipping through the obi, a small toggle was attached.
This toggle is called a netsuke. (The most popular pronunciation is net-ski, while the actual Japanese is closer to netskeh). A sliding bead (ojime) was strung on the cord between the netsuke and the sagemono to tighten or loosen the opening of the sagemono. The entire ensemble was then worn, at the waist, and functioned as a sort of removable hip pocket. All three objects, the netsuke, the ojime and the different types of sagemono were often beautifully decorated with elaborate carving, lacquer work, or inlays of rare and exotic materials, including: wood, ,precious metals, shell, coral and semi-precious stones. All three items developed into highly coveted and collectible art forms but it is the netsuke that has by far, most captivated the collector.
Netsuke come in a wide variety of different materials. The dominant materials are wood. Wood is not restricted to a specific tree but comes in a great number of wooden materials - many unknown outside of Japan. Other than wood, many other materials were used like horn, shell, amber, soapstone or ceramic.
The origin of netsuke is of a rather practical manner. Japanese kimonos had no pockets. The kimono was tied together with a sash or belt, called obi. So everything that you would carry in a pocket was put into a pouch or a box and attached to the sash with strings. The netsuke with two openings for the string to pass, acted as a toggle to prevent the sagemono (everything hanging from the sash) from slipping down from the obi.
The channel or hole carved into the netsuke for the passage of the cord is called the himotoshi. If a netsuke has a natural opening for the cord to pass, one speaks of a natural himotoshi. Far beyond their practical use, they were considered as a status symbol by their owners. Soon netsuke developed from a simple practical object to an impressive piece of art of high standard. Netsuke were in use from at least the early 17th century to the second half of the 19th century. With the Meiji restoration, the Japanese adopted Western clothing, which made netsuke disappear as an item for daily use by Japanese men.
- Combine shipping : Items must be combining within 7 days from the first item purchase, and paid for in one total payment. To calculate: Total shipping fee = Highest single item shipping fee + the rest items additional shipping fee as stated
- Most items will be shipped by air mail from Hong Kong post. For high value items we recommend EMS, DHL or FedEx. Shipping fee by EMS is about $20 extra, ship by FedEx or DHL is about $30 extra; email us for details and pricing if you need.
- Item location is in Asia, and we do cross board shipping. Please be advised that the international shipping usually take longer than domestic, as it's based on shipping service provider and customs.
- Items will be processed within 24-48 hours upon receipt of payment(except Saturday, Sunday and public holidays). Unless there is an exception, you will be notified immediately via e-mail of any delays. Please see below table to find details of the estimated delivery time for each country..
- The transit time is highly depended and provided by postal service(except weekends and holidays). Transit times may vary, particularly during the holiday season. If you have not received your shipment by the estimated delivery time from payment, please do tell us. We will track the shipment and get back to you as soon as possible with a reply. Our goal is customer satisfaction. We shall do whatever we can do to help you.
- Our working time is Monday to Friday 18:00-02:00 PST and Saturday 18:00-21:00 PST. Please do not hesitate to contact us anytime before and after your purchase if you have any question, we are committed to your 100% customer satisfaction.
Payment should be sent within 7 days after sale. Please use checkout to pay or request total.
Paypal: I prefer paypal. If you have a different shipping address or special instructions about shipping, please include in paypal transaction note, better to follow than email.
Online Credit Card: Visa / Master/ American Express.
Satisfaction guaranteed. We refund or exchange the item if it's damaged or lost. The item should be returned within 30 days. Please contact us by email before return the goods. The shipping fee is not refundable. Look Sea Enterprises started selling online since 2001. We have served thousands of customers from all over the world. Our customers love our products and service. If you have any questions please click here to view our Frequently Asked Questions Page . Or contact us by email, most emails are responded to within 24 hours. We work 5-1/2 days a week.
(Note: buyers who use free email like AOL, Yahoo, the reply email may fall into your junk mail box. Please send your email directly or try send email by other account.)
Shop by category or search our store:
Enter Keyword What is Netsuke? What is Snuff Bottle? What is Thangka? Types of Pearls / Pearl Grading / Care of Pearls More about Me
Analyzing "Smart Counters" only at inkFrog
This item has been shown 0 times.