Japanese Fine Detailed Wood Hand Carved Treen Boxwood Netsuke Jolly Buddha For Sale
Japanese Fine Detailed Wood Hand Carved Treen Boxwood Netsuke Jolly Buddha
Netsuke Wood Hand Carved Treen
This is a superb artisthandcarved detailed Japanese Woodcarving or Netsuke.
It shouldnt be confused with inferior mass produced resin cast figures you see on trying to emulate items such as this but falling far short.
This beautiful object was handcarved by a Japanese Artist Hand carved item. It is very high quality item.
Whilst only measuring around 2 inches, you can see for yourself the skill required in handcarving such a beautiful object.
100% Original Handcarved .Boxwood Netsuke Sculpture.
This is a collecting area which excites me very much.
A netsuke is a form of small sculpture which developed in Japan over a period of more than three hundred years. Netsuke served both functional and aesthetic purposes. The kimono, the traditional form of Japanese dress, had no pockets. Women would tuck small personal items into their sleeves, but men suspended their tobacco pouches, pipes, purses or writing implements, on a silk cord, from their obi (sash). These hanging objects are called sagemono. To stop the cord from slipping through the obi, a small toggle was attached. This toggle is called a netsuke. (The most popular pronunciation is net-ski, while the actual Japanese is closer to netskeh). A sliding bead (ojime) was strung on the cord between the netsuke and the sagemono to tighten or loosen the opening of the sagemono. The entire ensemble was then worn, at the waist, and functioned as a sort of removable hip pocket. All three objects, the netsuke, the ojime and the different types of sagemono were often beautifully decorated with elaborate carving, lacquer work, or inlays of rare and exotic materials, including: wood, precious metals, shell, coral and semi-precious stones. All three items developed into highly coveted and collectible art forms but it is the netsuke that has by far, most captivated the collector.
Today, contemporary netsuke of the finest quality are still being carved, as highly respected, original works of art. While not intended to be worn they adhere to all the standards of a true netsuke. There are several dozen highly successful netsuke artists, many of whom have been apprentices to great carvers of the past, who are currently creating modern masterpieces. Another fascinating aspect of these contemporary netsuke is that they reflect the time and place in which artists live. In the early part of this century, dealers encouraged netsuke carvers to emulate antique netsuke both in style and subject matter. These had a charm of their own.
Always happy to combine postage to save you money!
Please note I am based in Scotland
I will be happy to combine postage for multiple purchases , please wait for me to send you a combined postage invoice.
Conditions of Sale
!!!offer NOW - TO AVOID DISAPPOINMENT!!!
PLEASE LOOK AT THE SCANS CAREFULLY TO ASCERTAIN CONDITION
Conditions of Sale
PLEASEread the following VERY carefully BEFORE placing your offer
The following text is taken directly from 's "Confirm offer" page.
'Your offer is a contract - Place a offer only if you're serious about buying the item If you are the winning buyer, you will enter into a legally binding contract to purchase the item from the seller. You should contact the seller to resolve any questions before offerding'
- Please make sure that you ask any questions and request photographs before offerding. I am happy to spend as much time as necessary in providing any information requested.
- All items are described as accurately as possible, but I am only human & can make mistakes. If theres a problem let me know and I will do my upmost to resolve it.
- I will send you shipping and payment information when the sale ends. If you don't receive this, PLEASE contact me, e-mails sometimes go astray!
- You will have 7 days after the sale ends in which tosend payment of the full amount before I re-list the item or offer it to another buyer.If I do not hear from you Non Paying buyer action WILL follow, simply because this is the only way I am able to recover my listing fees.
- I will make every effort to post your item with a few days of receiving payment, but please allowtime for the item to arrive. Please feel free to mail me after a reasonable time if you have still not received your item, and I will do my best to help.
- Please leave response once your item has arrived and you are happy with it
This item has been shown 1060 times.