Jewish Judaica 1930 German Germany Berlin Nathan Israel Store Photo Postcard
This item has been shown times.
Jewish Judaica 1930 German Germany Berlin Nathan Israel Store Photo Postcard:
Jewish Judaica 1930 German Germany Berlin Nathan Israel Store Photo Postcard This picture-postcard shows Berlin’s oldest and for some time largest department store, named after the founder of the business, Nathan Israel. The Israel family had taken up residence in Berlin in the 18th century. The business was last located at 28 Spandauer Straße, across from the Rotes Rathaus (“Red City Hall”). Under its last director, Wilfrid Israel, the department store distinguished itself by providing uncommonly generous benefits to its employees, such as health and social insurance.By 1925, it employed over 2,000 people and was a member of the Berlin Stock Exchange, and in the 1930s was one of the largest retail establishments in Europe. Because it was owned by Jews, the store was boycotted by the German government when the Nazi Party came to power in 1933. It was ransacked during the Kristallnacht in 1938 and then handed over to a non-Jewish family by the Nazis. The descendants of the original owners began to receive compensation for their losses after the fall of the Berlin Wall in 1989. ** DUE TO THE SITUATION CAUSING DELAYS SOME ITEMS SHIPPED EXPRESS For Condition Watch Photos