Ladies 1920s Longines 15j Swiss Engraved 14k Gold Filled Vintage Art Deco Watch
This item has been shown 0 times.
Ladies 1920s Longines 15j Swiss Engraved 14k Gold Filled Vintage Art Deco Watch:
holben Store Founded by Ernest Francillon and Auguste Agassiz in the year 1832, the Longines Watch Co. of Switzerland was established in the “Long Meadows” (hence its name) near the town of St. Imier. Winner of countless horology awards, its wristwatches are among the best in the world, on par with firms such as Omega or Zenith and one of my personal favorites.
If you are a fan of “classic” design, higher grade watches this 1924 Longines Art Deco era watch may be very appealing to you…a timeless Cushion form that is finely engraved. This ladies 14kt White Gold filled model is in excellent condition, complete with its original floral engraved winding crown and filigree clasp.
Fully signed, it measures 29mm end to end and 24mm in width (25.5mm with engraved original crown). In inches this works out to be just over 1-1/8” long by 1” wide, not including the crown and it is fitted on a cloth grosgrain style band with original 14kt wgf clasp attached to it. The fabric itself is new and it will fit a wrist of any size – 5-1/2 inches to 8 inches even. My watchmaker David has fully overhauled this watch and its 10.85 caliber, 15 Jewel Longines mechanism winds and sets smoothly while keeping accurate time.
The silver, matte enamel finished dial is in excellent condition and without flaw. It features beautiful black enamel Breguet style numerals, a 60 minute checkered outer track border, original blue steel Spade-tip hands and separate sub-seconds dial with 60 second outer chapter and ‘sweep’ blue steel seconds hand. Signed LONGINES below the 12 and SWISS at the base of the dial.
The solid glass crystal is in mint condition, removed for some photos to avoid glare on the dial. The three-piece case is Cushion form and in excellent condition, finely engraved on both the bezel and case sides. This is a wire lug style watch, meaning it does not use spring bars. These lugs are solid and secure, easily accommodating a 14mm wide band. The original white gold finished winding crown is beautifully engraved in a floral design – still very crisp and in excellent condition.
Turning the watch over I note that the back lid is in excellent condition with no wear or engravings – spotless. Peeking inside I find a higher grade Fifteen jewel manual wind movement that is signed 4,195,612 – Three  Adj – Fifteen  Jewels – Longines Watch Co. - Swiss. This serial number corresponds to a ca 1924 production date and the caliber number of 10.85 is marked next to the balance.
The inside of the original case lid is stamped 14kt Gold Filled – Wadsworth Quality with case reference number below (last four digits of case n umber are also stamped on body of watch, next to mechanism). You will also see that the Longines caliber number of 10 85 is stamped on the case as well, ensuring an all original, fully signed watch.
This fine timepiece has been cleaned, oiled and regulated to ensure it winds smoothly while keeping very good, accurate time. I’ve fitted this watch with a new cloth grosgrain style band and transferred over the 14kt white gold filled filigree clasp that was on the watch originally. It is in excellent shape and is easily adjustable small to large by “sliding” the bottom section of the clasp along the ribbon. Simply a classic and truly beautiful lady’s Longines that’s ready to be shown off…you won’t be disappointed with this one.
- Since 1998, Holben's Fine Watches' goal has been happy customers. I treat buyers as I like to be treated: with courtesy and respect. I’m especially proud of my excellent response and high number of repeat clients. I’m a long-standing member of the National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors (NAWCC), and have collected watches since I was a kid.
- Watch sizes: I provide exact measurements in millimeters (the watch industry standard) and inches, and include a U.S. quarter in photos as a size reference. Draw the measurements on paper to help visualize the watch on your wrist. Remember, men’s watches from the 1910s - 1960s were smaller than considered normal today.
- Buyers outside the United States with less than five response: Please introduce yourself via email PRIOR to offerding. Otherwise, your offer may be retracted.
- Note: The USPS has raised its fees for all services as of 1/27/20013 – including a 100% increase of first class international rates. I charge less than actual cost for fully insured, shipping with tracking – there are no handling or packing fees. Overall, I spent $1.22 for every $1 received for shipping costs in 2012 (source: Quick books data).
- U.S. winners pay $6.75 for fully insured, safely boxed USPS First-Class Mail shipping. Washington State residents (and those with shipping addresses in Washington State) add 8.6% sales tax.
- Canadian buyers pay $21.00 for Registered Air Mail shipping with tracking (I cover the insurance) or $35 for EMS Global Express, a bit faster. International buyers pay $49.00 for EMS Global Express Mail with tracking and insurance. I do provide a Registered Air Mail shipping option ($25.00) to a few select countries, including the United Kingdom, France, Netherlands, Switzerland, Japan, Hong Kong and Taiwan. If you are an international buyer please wait until I invoice you with your shipping option(s).
- International Buyers – Please Note: Import duties, taxes, and charges are not included in the item price or shipping cost. These charges are the buyer's responsibility. Please check with your country's customs office to determine what these additional costs will be prior to offerding. While I ship within 24 hours of receiving payment but your local custom authorities can delay the delivery of your package. As such, it can take anywhere from 7 days to 30 days before final delivery is made.
- Payment is due within three days of sale end, unless you’ve contacted me prior to arrange otherwise. In accordance with policy, payments not received in four days will initiate an unpaid item case through the Resolution Center.
- In the rare event that a watch needs further service upon receipt, I ask that you return the wristwatch to me (or mailed to my watchmaker, David) at my expense. It will be corrected and quickly mailed back to you.
- If you like unique and collectible vintage or antique wristwatches, add holbensfinewatches to your Favorite Sellers. I specialize in American and Swiss timepieces from the 1900s – 1970s. My selection changes weekly, and is comprised of manual wind and automatic watches from the following categories: WWI trench; WWII; military; fancy case, art nouveau; art deco; mid-century modern; stainless steel; sterling silver; white, yellow and rose gold; solid gold; platinum; and diamond, ruby and/or sapphire ladies’ cocktail watches.
Our sister store, Holben's Fine Watch Bands, offers an extensive selection of straps including Bonetto Cinturini, deBeer, Di-Modell, Hadley-Roma, Hirsch and Staib; deployment clasps and buckles; metal bracelets; German military Bunds; UTC ballistic nylon G10; open-ended; James Bond striped, leather and woven NATOs; WWII canvas military; genuine and silicone rubber divers; carbon fiber; Kevlar; LORICA; Cordura; GT rally tropic perforated; alligator-, crocodile-, lizard-, ostrich-, shark- and buffalo-grain; chrono sport; riveted; waterproof / water resistant and woven/braided.