Ladies 1940s Gruen 14k Solid Rose Gold Rubies & Diamonds Vintage Art Deco Watch
This item has been shown 0 times.
Ladies 1940s Gruen 14k Solid Rose Gold Rubies & Diamonds Vintage Art Deco Watch:
In its glory years from the 1920s through the 1940s, the Gruen Watch Company of USA & Switzerland was one of the leaders in wristwatch design and quality, even collaborating with Rolex (i.e., the Aegler movement duo-dial doctor's watch) from its factories in Switzerland. Prior to WWII, Gruen was better known in the USA than Rolex, which at that time was concentrating on the British and Commonwealth countries (hence lots of early Rolexes coming out of Australia and the UK). Hans Wilsdorf and Gruen were friends and neighbors in Switzerland (their factories were just yards away), and even agreed to market their watches as Rolex Gruen in Europe, but the Great Depression (and more urgent matters) prevented this.
Make no mistake about this one folks, this is a truly excellent and original ladies Cocktail model from the Gruen firm, dating to ca 1940 and crafted of 14kt Solid Rose Gold. Note the fancy lugs as well, complete with four genuine baguette rubies while in contrasting white gold settings there are 2 genuine diamonds!
Triple-signed for Gruen (dial, case and mechanism), it measures 27mm end to end and 14mm in width (15.5mm with original rose gold crown). This works out to be 1-1/8 inches long by 5/8 of an wide, including the original crown and it is attached to a vintage cord bracelet strap that is currently sized to fit a wrist up to 7-3/8 inches (I can make this any size for the winner at no charge).
My trusted watchmaker David has fully serviced its original Precision series Veri-Thin mechanism and it winds and sets smoothly while keeping accurate time.
The 100% original rose gold, enamel finished dial is in excellent condition, guaranteed untouched since it left the Gruen factory 70 plus years ago. It features a 60 minute black and white enamel outer chapter, black Roman numerals and silver hour markers and original black lacquer Baton-style hands. Signed GRUEN below the 12 and PRECISION above the 6. It is further signed SWITZERLAND at the base of the dial.
The curved on all four sides solid glass crystal is in excellent condition and without flaw. The 14 Karat Solid Rose Gold case is a beauty, complete with faceted lugs. The highlight of the case are its four original baguette Rubies and two original genuine diamonds, all securely set and with no flaws. The original rose gold winding crown is in excellent order as well, operating smoothly.
Turning the watch over I note that the back lid is signed K&O 14K and is free of any personal engravings or wear. Peeking inside I discover a clean higher grade mechanism signed Gruen Watch Co., Precision, Seventeen 17 Jewels, Switzerland GXC, Veri-Thin, Patented.
The inside of the case lid is signed Cased and Timed in USA by Gruen Watch Co., 14K Gold K&O with case number below. The initials K&O stand for Katz & Ogush, providers of many solid gold cases to Gruen from the late 1930s to the early 1950s. Shortly after this watch was made Benjamin Katz would become the president of the Gruen Watch Co. (succeeding Fred Gruen) and his old partner Ogush continued on as the William B. Ogush Watch Case Co. (these cases are stamped WBO).
This watch has been fully cleaned, oiled and regulated to ensure it winds and sets smoothly while keeping accurate time. It comes fitted on a vintage black cord bracelet strap with a light yellow gold finished vintage clasp as I do not have rose gold hue clasps. I think it works very well. The current overall length is 7-3/8 inches but I can adjust this smaller (or larger) for the winner at no charge.
This original Swiss watch epitomizes what a late Art Deco cocktail watch is all about and Gruen did not make many, just my second similar watch in the last fifteen years on . If you like what you see in the pictures you are going to be even more impressed in person. Thanks for taking a peek!
- Since 1998, Holben's Fine Watches' goal has been happy customers. I treat buyers as I like to be treated: with courtesy and respect. I am especially proud of my excellent response and high number of repeat clients.
- Watch sizes: I provide exact case measurements in millimeters (the watch industry standard) and inches, and include a U.S. quarter in one photo as a size reference. Draw the measurements on paper to help visualize the watch on your wrist. Remember, watches for men made from the 1910s to 1970s were noticeably smaller than what is considered normal today.
- Buyers outside the United States with less than five response: please take a moment to introduce yourself via the message system prior to offerding. Otherwise, your offer may be retracted.
- U.S. winners pay $7.75 for fully insured, safely boxed USPS First-Class Mail shipping. Washington State residents (and those with shipping addresses in Washington State) are required to pay 8.6% sales tax.
- Canadian buyers pay $22.00 for Registered Air Mail shipping with tracking (I pay the insurance) or $36 for EMS Global Express, about 5 days faster. International buyers pay $49.00 (actual cost) for EMS Global Express Mail with tracking and insurance, the insurance part covered by me.
- International buyers, please note: Import duties, taxes, and charges are not included in the item price or shipping cost. These charges are the buyer's responsibility. Please check with your country's customs office to determine what these additional costs will be prior to offerding. I ship within 24 hours of receiving your cleared payment but your local custom authorities can cause delays. Expect it to take 7 to 30 days for international delivery.
- Payment is due within three days of sale end, unless you have contacted me prior to arrange otherwise. In accordance with policy, payments not received in four days will initiate an unpaid item case through the Resolution Center.
- In the rare event that a watch needs further service upon receipt, I ask that you return the wristwatch to me (or mailed to my watchmaker, David, in NYC) at my expense. It will be corrected and quickly mailed back to you.
- If you like unique and collectible vintage or antique wristwatches, add me as one of your favorite sellers. I specialize in American and Swiss timepieces from the 1900s to the 1970s. My selection changes weekly, and is comprised of manual wind and automatic watches from the following categories: WWI trench; WWII; military; fancy case, art nouveau; art deco; mid-century modern; stainless steel; sterling silver; white, yellow and rose gold; solid gold; platinum; and diamond, ruby and/or sapphire ladies cocktail watches.
- My very old dog, Cautious Carl, and I want thank everyone for 15 GREAT YEARS on . Keep on ticking!
Our sister store, Holben's Fine Watch Bands, offers an extensive selection of straps including Bonetto Cinturini, deBeer, Di-Modell, Hadley-Roma, Hirsch and Staib; deployment clasps and buckles; metal bracelets; German military Bunds; UTC ballistic nylon G10; open-ended; James Bond striped, leather and woven NATOs; WWII canvas military; genuine and silicone rubber divers; carbon fiber; Kevlar; LORICA; Cordura; GT rally tropic perforated; alligator-, crocodile-, lizard-, ostrich-, shark- and buffalo-grain; chrono sport; riveted; waterproof / water resistant and woven/braided.