Ladies 1960s Ernest Borel Kaleidoscope Vintage 14k Gold Ep Swiss Cocktail Watch For Sale
holben Store The allure of the famous kaleidoscope dial "Cocktail" watch, sometimes imitated but never duplicated. The following 14kt yellow gold electroplated ladies example dates to the mid 1960s and was made by none other than the Ernest Borel Watch Company, a respected firm founded in 1859 and located in Neuchatel, Switzerland.
The Borel kaleidoscope dial watch is prominently featured in Faber and Unger's American Wristwatches: Five Decades of Style and Design where, on page 245, it states that this watch was first introduced in the late 1940s.
About no other watch can I say to see it in action is to appreciate it for its two revolving gold and black center dials are in constant motion, creating the effect of a flower blossom opening and closing, mesmerizing. This is the first time I have ever had this particular model before, its case design is classic Borel Cocktail but the dial is different, the hour marker, gold ring being pushed toward the center, leaving a black enamel outer area.
This quadruple-signed timepiece measures 33mm lug tip to lug tip and 25mm in width (26.5mm with original EB-signed crown). This works out to be just over 1-1/4 inches long by 1 inch wide, not counting the winding crown. It has been fully serviced and its original 17 jewel, Borel 26 caliber mechanism winds and sets smoothly while keeping accurate time.
The dial is all original and in excellent condition, featuring a gold 60 minute and inlaid black enamel marker 12 hour dial, RED metal hour and minute hands that rotate around the outer edge and the famous Kaleidoscope center! Signed BOREL below the 12 and Mod. Depose COCKTAIL Swiss Pat. at the base.
The acrylic crystal is in excellent condition. The case, in excellent shape, is 14 Karat Yellow Gold Electroplated (to 20 microns) and is signed Ernest Borel, Swiss on the left case side. I particularly like the curved T Lugs of this model. The original winding crown is signed EB for Ernest Borel and is in excellent shape, winding and setting smoothly.
Turning the watch over I see that this watch has a display back so you can view the movement ticking away. The original crystal covering the mechanism is in excellent condition, as is the 14kt gold electroplated bezel. The movement is signed Borel 26, Seventeen 17 Jewels, Swiss.
This original Cocktail watch has been completely disassembled, cleaned, oiled and regulated to ensure it winds and sets smoothly while keeping accurate time. It does click a couple times when fully winding it up but all is good and the watch performs correctly and accurately.
It comes complete with a new 12mm smooth, matte black calf leather strap (unmarked but by Hadley Roma) with gold finished buckle. All in all a collectible and FUN to wear watch that will get noticed on your wrist. Thanks for taking a peek!
- Since 1998, Holben's Fine Watches' goal has been happy customers. I treat buyers as I like to be treated: with courtesy and respect. I am especially proud of my excellent response and high number of repeat clients.
- Watch sizes: I provide exact case measurements in millimeters (the watch industry standard) and inches, and include a U.S. quarter in one photo as a size reference. Draw the measurements on paper to help visualize the watch on your wrist. Remember, watches for men made from the 1910s to 1970s were noticeably smaller than what is considered normal today.
- Buyers outside the United States with less than five response: please take a moment to introduce yourself via the message system prior to offerding. Otherwise, your offer may be retracted.
- U.S. winners pay $7.75 for fully insured, safely boxed USPS First-Class Mail shipping. Washington State residents (and those with shipping addresses in Washington State) are required to pay 8.6% sales tax.
- Canadian buyers pay $22.00 for Registered Air Mail shipping with tracking (I pay the insurance) or $36 for EMS Global Express, about 5 days faster. International buyers pay $49.00 (actual cost) for EMS Global Express Mail with tracking and insurance, the insurance part covered by me.
- International buyers, please note: Import duties, taxes, and charges are not included in the item price or shipping cost. These charges are the buyer's responsibility. Please check with your country's customs office to determine what these additional costs will be prior to offerding. I ship within 24 hours of receiving your cleared payment but your local custom authorities can cause delays. Expect it to take 7 to 30 days for international delivery.
- Payment is due within three days of sale end, unless you have contacted me prior to arrange otherwise. In accordance with policy, payments not received in four days will initiate an unpaid item case through the Resolution Center.
- In the rare event that a watch needs further service upon receipt, I ask that you return the wristwatch to me (or mailed to my watchmaker, David, in NYC) at my expense. It will be corrected and quickly mailed back to you.
- If you like unique and collectible vintage or antique wristwatches, add me as one of your favorite sellers. I specialize in American and Swiss timepieces from the 1900s to the 1970s. My selection changes weekly, and is comprised of manual wind and automatic watches from the following categories: WWI trench; WWII; military; fancy case, art nouveau; art deco; mid-century modern; stainless steel; sterling silver; white, yellow and rose gold; solid gold; platinum; and diamond, ruby and/or sapphire ladies cocktail watches.
- My very old dog, Cautious Carl, and I want thank everyone for 15 GREAT YEARS on . Keep on ticking!
Our sister store, Holben's Fine Watch Bands, offers an extensive selection of straps including Bonetto Cinturini, deBeer, Di-Modell, Hadley-Roma, Hirsch and Staib; deployment clasps and buckles; metal bracelets; German military Bunds; UTC ballistic nylon G10; open-ended; James Bond striped, leather and woven NATOs; WWII canvas military; genuine and silicone rubber divers; carbon fiber; Kevlar; LORICA; Cordura; GT rally tropic perforated; alligator-, crocodile-, lizard-, ostrich-, shark- and buffalo-grain; chrono sport; riveted; waterproof / water resistant and woven/braided.
This item has been shown 0 times.