M1860 Us Cavalry Saber & Scabbard Ames 1864 Civil War Sword
This item has been shown 5 times.
M1860 Us Cavalry Saber & Scabbard Ames 1864 Civil War Sword:
M1860 US Cavalry Saber & Scabbard manufactured during the Civil War by the Ames Mfg Co., Chicopee, MA in 1864. The Saber is stamped with US Armory Inspector initials "C.E.W.", for Charles E. Wilson.
This is a magnificent, type-wrist breaker and is most popular saber on collector market for Civil War era weapon collectors.
• The blade measures approximately 35" long and has a beautiful patina with no cracks and only very minor chips along blade edge. Appears to have been cleaned at one time.
• Obverse ricasso is marked "U.S." over "C.E.W." over "1864"
• Reverse ricasso is marked "Ames Mfg. Co." over "Chicopee, MA"
• Beautiful brass "wrist breaker" guard with no cracks or signs of abuse
• The leather wrap around the wood grip is missing and the wood grip is left exposed. The wood grip is in solid condition with a few cracks running laterally down from the hilt. The cracks do NOT go completely down to the pommel and the grip remains firm
• The leather blade washer is present and looks to be in fantastic condition
- The steel scabbard has acquired a dark patina overall and has a few minor dents . The body itself is oxidized and appears to have been cleaned of rust, leaving light pitting throughout.
- The two ring mounts are tight and hold two 1¼" diameter sword rings.
- Scabbard retains its original throat collar.
- There are no visible inspection marks on the drag.
This is unique opportunity to owned this wonderful piece of history.
Thanks for looking and Good Luck!