Mens 1950s Elgin Deluxe Quadrant Dial 17j Usa Vintage 10k Rgp Retro Modern Watch
This item has been shown 0 times.
Mens 1950s Elgin Deluxe Quadrant Dial 17j Usa Vintage 10k Rgp Retro Modern Watch:
My longtime favorite U.S. watch firm is the Elgin National Watch Company, a prolific American firm established in 1864 on 35 acres of land donated by the City of Elgin, Illinois (the factory had a National Street address). It was a strategic location, right next to the Galena and Chicago Union Railroad, one of the busiest railways into Chicago, and the Elgin factory would become the focal point of the town.
Elgin would offer its first watch for sale in 1867, marking the beginning of fierce competition with its chief competitor, Waltham, which (ironically) was instrumental in forming Elgin, as two of the original organizers were P.S. Bartlett and D.G. Currier of Waltham fame. Bartlett and Currier would later join the Illinois Watch Co. of Springfield.
I am pleased to offer for sale the following vintage men's watch from the firm, an original two-tone dial, fancy case Model 6526 Elgin Deluxe that dates to ca 1957. This is a Quadrant dial watch, its color being silver but its look changing as the dial moves around in the light.
Triple-signed for Elgin, its 10kt Yellow Rolled Gold plated case measures 35mm lug tip to lug tip and 22.5mm in width (24mm with original, unmarked winding crown). This works out to be 1-3/8 inches long by 7/8 of an inch wide, not including the crown. It has been fully serviced by my trusted watchmaker David and its original 673 grade USA made mechanism winds and sets smoothly while keeping accurate time.
The 100% original silver, enamel finished dial is in great shape, untouched since it left the factory 55 years ago and with just a few tiny specks of age. It features raised gold numbers and hour markers, original gold metal Lance-style hands and a square sub-seconds dial with sweeping gold seconds hand. Signed ELGIN below the 12 with a dp below this, the logo symbolizing the firmÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s patented Durapower mainspring.
The original solid glass crystal is in excellent, clear condition. The rectangular form case is comprised of a 10kt Yellow Rolled Gold Plated bezel with Stainless Steel back lid. It is in excellent condition with a distinctive, Retro Modern Notched Bezel design. 10kt Rolled gold cases from this era were very high quality- equal to 40 microns of gold thickness or about five to eight times what you find in today's new Swiss electroplated watches. The original and correctly unmarked gold winding crown is a matching yellow gold finished and in excellent order, operating smoothly.
Turning the watch over I see that the snap down back lid is in excellent to mint shape (truly spotless), stamped 10K RGP Bezel, Stainless Steel Back. Peeking inside I find a clean and high quality (673 grade) model, 13/0s manual wind movement that is signed ELGIN 673 U-S-A, 17 JEWELS, ADJ'D. The inside of the case lid is signed Cased and Timed by Elgin National Watch Co., Star Watch Case Co., 6536 with case number below.
This cleaned, oiled and regulated timepiecewinds and sets smoothly while keeping accurate time. It is fitted on a new 16mm black deBeer Paris collection ostrich (grain) calf leather strap with matching gold finished buckle. All in all a highly unique and very original Elgin model that is very Retro Modern, Americana in design. Thank you for dropping by to take a look!
- Since 1998, Holben's Fine Watches' goal has been happy customers. I treat buyers as I like to be treated: with courtesy and respect. I am especially proud of my excellent response and high number of repeat clients.
- Watch sizes: I provide exact case measurements in millimeters (the watch industry standard) and inches, and include a U.S. quarter in one photo as a size reference. Draw the measurements on paper to help visualize the watch on your wrist. Remember, watches for men made from the 1910s to 1970s were noticeably smaller than what is considered normal today.
- Buyers outside the United States with less than five response: please take a moment to introduce yourself via the message system prior to offerding. Otherwise, your offer may be retracted.
- U.S. winners pay $6.75 for fully insured, safely boxed USPS First-Class Mail shipping. Washington State residents (and those with shipping addresses in Washington State) are required to pay 8.6% sales tax.
- Canadian buyers pay $21.00 for Registered Air Mail shipping with tracking (I pay the insurance) or $35 for EMS Global Express, a bit faster. International buyers pay $49.00 for EMS Global Express Mail with tracking and insurance. I do provide a Registered Air Mail shipping option ($25.00) to a limited number of countries, including the United Kingdom, France, Netherlands, Switzerland, Japan, Hong Kong and Taiwan. If you are an international buyer please wait until I invoice you with your shipping options.
- International buyers, please note: Import duties, taxes, and charges are not included in the item price or shipping cost. These charges are the buyer's responsibility. Please check with your country's customs office to determine what these additional costs will be prior to offerding. I ship within 24 hours of receiving your cleared payment but your local custom authorities can cause delays. Expect it to take 7 to 30 days for international delivery.
- Payment is due within three days of sale end, unless you have contacted me prior to arrange otherwise. In accordance with policy, payments not received in four days will initiate an unpaid item case through the Resolution Center.
- In the rare event that a watch needs further service upon receipt, I ask that you return the wristwatch to me (or mailed to my watchmaker, David, in NYC) at my expense. It will be corrected and quickly mailed back to you.
- If you like unique and collectible vintage or antique wristwatches, add me as one of your favorite sellers. I specialize in American and Swiss timepieces from the 1900s to the 1970s. My selection changes weekly, and is comprised of manual wind and automatic watches from the following categories: WWI trench; WWII; military; fancy case, art nouveau; art deco; mid-century modern; stainless steel; sterling silver; white, yellow and rose gold; solid gold; platinum; and diamond, ruby and/or sapphire ladies cocktail watches.
- Cautious Carl and I want thank everyone for 15 GREAT YEARS on . Keep on ticking!
Our sister store, Holben's Fine Watch Bands, offers an extensive selection of straps including Bonetto Cinturini, deBeer, Di-Modell, Hadley-Roma, Hirsch and Staib; deployment clasps and buckles; metal bracelets; German military Bunds; UTC ballistic nylon G10; open-ended; James Bond striped, leather and woven NATOs; WWII canvas military; genuine and silicone rubber divers; carbon fiber; Kevlar; LORICA; Cordura; GT rally tropic perforated; alligator-, crocodile-, lizard-, ostrich-, shark- and buffalo-grain; chrono sport; riveted; waterproof / water resistant and woven/braided.