New Going Down Jericho Road: The Memphis Strike, Martin Luther King's Last Campa
This item has been shown 0 times.
New Going Down Jericho Road: The Memphis Strike, Martin Luther King's Last Campa:
Store Searchsearch Title, ISBN and Author Going Down Jericho Road: The Memphis Strike, Martin Luther King's Last Campaign by Michael K. Honey
Estimated delivery 3-12 business days
Condition Brand New
Memphis in 1968 was ruled by a paternalistic "plantation mentality". Wretched conditions, abusive white supervisors, poor education and low wages locked most black workers into poverty. This book presents the characters who clashed on the Memphis battlefield: stalwart black workers; fiery black ministers; and, volatile black-power advocates.Publisher Description
Memphis in 1968 was ruled by a paternalistic "plantation mentality" embodied in its good-old-boy mayor, Henry Loeb. Wretched conditions, abusive white supervisors, poor education, and low wages locked most black workers into poverty. Then two sanitation workers were chewed up like garbage in the back of a faulty truck, igniting a public employee strike that brought to a boil long-simmering issues of racial injustice.With novelistic drama and rich scholarly detail, Michael Honey brings to life the magnetic characters who clashed on the Memphis battlefield: stalwart black workers; fiery black ministers; volatile, young, black-power advocates; idealistic organizers and tough-talking unionists; the first black members of the Memphis city council; the white upper crust who sought to prevent change or conFlagration; and, finally, the magisterial Martin Luther King Jr., undertaking a Poor People's Campaign at the crossroads of his life, vilified as a subversive, hounded by the FBI, and seeing in the working poor of Memphis his hopes for a better America.Author Biography
Michael K. Honey is a professor of African American and labor studies and American history at the University of Washington, Tacoma, and the author of two prize-winning books on labor and civil rights history. He lives in Tacoma.Details
- ISBN 0393330532
- ISBN-13 9780393330533
- Title Going Down Jericho Road: The Memphis Strike, Martin Luther King's Last Campaign
- Author Michael K. Honey
- Format Paperback
- Year 2008
- Pages 623
- Edition 1st
- Publisher W. W. Norton & Company
- Dimensions5.5 in. x 1 in. x 8.2 in.
Grand Eagle Retail is the ideal place for all your reading and entertainment needs! With fast shipping, low prices, friendly service and over 1,000,000 in stock books, CDs and DVDs - you're bound to find what you want, at a price you'll love!Shipping & Delivery Times
All items will be dispatched within 1 business day. We will notify all customers via email once their orders have shipped.
Unless otherwise stated, economy services are used and delivery will take 3-12 working days, depending on the item purchased and the delivery location.
A Priority shipping option is available at checkout for some items, and if selected, delivery is 3-6 working days after handling.
International deliveries will take 1-6 weeks.
NOTE: We are unable to offer combined shipping for multiple items purchased. This is because our items are shipped from different locations.Returns
If you wish to return an item, please consult our Returns Policy as below:
- Please ensure that you contact Customer Services and request a Returns Authorization before you send the order back to us. Returns which are not prearranged cannot be accepted.
- If you wish to request a return, please ensure you contact us within 10 business days of delivery.
- Returned goods must be received within 30 days of the original shipment to the customer.
- Returns must be in resellable condition.
- Any returns are shipped at the customer's risk. Grand Eagle Retail does not take responsibility for items which are lost or damaged in transit.
- Accepted returns will be refunded by the method by which you paid.
- For purchases where a shipping charge was paid, there will be no refund of the original shipping charge.
- For purchases where shipping was free, returned items will be refunded less a restocking fee of 10%.
If you have any questions please feel free to Contact Us.Categories
Sign up to our newsletter to hear about new book releases and our latest offers.