December 17th, 2013 Pan American Aviation Day December 17th, 2013 Wright Brothers Day December 18th, 2013 International Migrants Day December 19th, 2013 International South-South Cooperation Day December 20th, 2013 International Human Solidarity Day December 21st, 2013 December Solstice December 24th, 2013 Christmas Eve December 25th, 2013 Christmas Day December 26th, 2013 Kwanzaa December 31st, 2013 New Year's Eve January 1st, 2014 New Year's Day January 6th, 2014 Epiphany January 7th, 2014 Orthodox Christmas Day January 13th, 2014 Stephen Foster Memorial Day January 14th, 2014 Prophet's Birthday January 14th, 2014 Orthodox New Year January 16th, 2014 Tu B'Shevat January 17th, 2014 Lee Jackson Day
Rare 5 Pc Lot - 1865 Cowing Pump Co Fire Engine Beer Cdv Photo Trade Cards For Sale
RARE - EARLY Pump Company Advertising LOT
5 Pcs.CDV Photo, Trade Cards, Label, etc.Cowing & CompanyPumps, Fire Engines, Beer Pump, etc.Seneca Falls, New York ca. 1865
For offer - a RARE advertising archive! Fresh from a local estate in Upstate, Western, NY! Never offered on the market until now. Vintage, Old, Antique, Original - NOT Reproductions - Guaranteed! This is a great collection. The Cowing Company started in the 1840s, and eventually went out of business in the 1870s. They manufactured pumps, fire engines, hydraulic rams, and even beer pumps! Included in the lot are the following: CDV photograph of a Cowing pump - cast iron, with their name on it. Photographer imprint of Andrews of Seneca Falls on back ; large yellow trade card / small sign (on back is an engraving of a beer pump) ; another trade card with some manuscript writing on back (A.H. Bolles, Ellicotville, NY, Decker, Hiram King, and La Grange) ; round purple label with gilt lettering advertising the company's warehouse in NY ; advertising that looks to be a newspaper clipping. Names of John Cowing, Philo Cowing, George Cowing, Marshall Cowing, and John A. Rumsey appear on the items. Items are in good to very good condition. Some light creasing to large trade card, mainly at the edge areas ; a few dings to other cards. Nothing too major. Please see photos / scans for details. Important historical collection.If you collect 19th century Americana, Civil War era invention / industry, Victorian era Advertisement Ad, firefighting equipment, Seneca County, etc. this is a nice piece for your paper / ephemera collection - perhaps some important genealogy research information as well. Winning buyer pays shipping, international s/h is more. Combine shipping on multiple offers and Company, Seneca Falls"It is notable how various manufactures locate in groups, and we have yet to record the history of a fourth industry, which had its rise in, and conduced to the prosperity of this locality, and whose efforts were identified with pump manufacture; we refer to the firm of Cowing and Company. John P. Cowing and Henry Seymour began the manufacture of pumps in 1840, in the 'Old Clock Factory'. In this building, erected in 1832, the clock business was carried on by Marshall & Adams until 1837, and three years later occupied as stated. Upon the site of that old building, the largest brick building of Cowing & Company was subsequently erected. A removal was made, in 1843, to a structure known in those days as the 'Old Red Shop'; it stood just below the lower bridge, and was destroyed by fire in 1858. The partnership was dissolved in 1847, the business being continued by Mr. Seymour. Mr. Cowing and Henry W. Seymour continued to manufacture pumps in what was known as the 'Old Cultivator Shop', where now is located their western brick building, earlier used for the same business by Thomas I. Paine. Six to eight hands only were employed. Their furnace was burned down in April, 1849, and rebuilt at once. In December following it was again consumed by fire; during this year of misfortune, John A. Rumsey entered the firm; the business showed rapid increase, and for two years all went well. Once again the fire fiend made his attack, and in January, 1851, the cultivator-ship and furnace fell before his insatiable ravages. Immediately rebuilding , work was steadily continued till the breaking forth of the great conflagration of 1853, when the factory, the front and rear furnaces, much valuable machinery were destroyed. Yet again, with an undiminished energy, the company proceeded to the construction of the substantial buildings they now own. These were assailed by another powerful element-the air. During the great tornado of '53, which swept with such force over this locality, the roof of the City Mill was dislodged, and a purloin plate was hurled into the upper building of Cowing & Co., and considerable damage done. In January, 1859, Mr. Seymour retired from the company, and Philo and George Cowing, sons of the principal of the firm, were admitted to partnership, and the business continued under the title of Cowing & Co. The sale of manufactures amounted in 1851 to $20,000, and constantly increased, till, in 1862, they exceeded $200,000. In 1858, they bought the site of the sash-factory, at the end of Mill Street, adjoining their own works; on this ground they erected a large brick building of three stories, in which to manufacture fire engines. In 1861, John P. Cowing erected the large six-story building on the old paper-mill site. The company carried on the manufacture of fire engines, pumps of various kinds, hydraulic rams, thimble-skein and pipe boxes, and a variety of brass and iron goods. Four times burned out, once damaged by a hurricane, and once washed away by the flood of 1857, Cowing & Co. have contended successfully with difficulties which fall to the lot of few, and in 1870 had in their employ one hundred and forty men, whose pay roll amounted to $5000 per month; raw material was purchased to the amount of $60,000, and sales reached a quarter-million. In 1875 the number of hands was much reduced and consequently the amount of manufacture. Their wares were known at home and abroad, and agents found ready markets in foreign lands. At the Vienna Exposition a medal for general assortment of pumps was awarded to their house, based on an improved method of finishing pump interiors, which method is secured to the firm by their own patent. The company are not running their works, but are selling off manufactures on hand, preparatory to the organization of a stock company.""History of Seneca Co., 1786-1876" [Ensign, Everts, Ensign, Philadelphia, 1876; reprinted by W.E. Morrison & Co., 1976] p. 48.
This item has been shown 345 times.
Rare 5 Pc Lot - 1865 Cowing Pump Co Fire Engine Beer Cdv Photo Trade Cards: $572