Rare Antique French Black Basalt Stoneware Sugar Bowl / Basin * Not Wedgwood, Nr
This item has been shown 0 times.
Rare Antique French Black Basalt Stoneware Sugar Bowl / Basin * Not Wedgwood, Nr:
ON SINCE 2003. PLEASE offer WITH CONFIDENCE.
WE HAVE BEEN BUYERS, COLLECTORS & DEALERS of SILVER, FINE ART, ANTIQUES and BETTER ESTATE ITEMS FOR MANY YEARS.
WE STRIVE TO MAINTAIN 100% POSITIVE response & BELIEVE IN REPEAT CUSTOMERS SO WE OFFER FREE DOMESTIC (U.S.A.) SHIPPING to OUR REPEAT CUSTOMERS and for
MULTIPLE ITEM WINS (2 or more items on same invoice).
PLEASE SCROLL ALL THE WAY DOWN TO SEE ALL THE PHOTOS & MEASUREMENTS.
This Penny Start, sale Is For One (1) Piece:
AN ANTIQUE FRENCH BLACK BASALT STONEWARE / SLIPWARE SUGAR BASIN with COVER (SUGAR BOWL), signed:
IT WAS MADE IN FRANCE at the CREIL POTTERY FACTORY circa 1819-1827.
Creil showed black stonewares at the exhibitions of 'Produits de l'Industrone ie française' between 1819 and 1827. I'm uncertain if Wedgwood or Creil made this black basalt style first. Josiah Wedgwood created his basalt pieces about the same time. Perhaps as early as 1810.
We acquired this piece along with several other Creil basalt pieces. There are cups, saucers and two impressive tea pots - all signed. A somewhat fortuitous opportunity for collectors, in that CREIL Basalt is not generally available. Especially in quantity. For the last 12 months (as far back as I can research) there's only been one (1) similar teapot on . We believe this piece; the SUGAR BASIN with COVER is the rarest of all the pieces.
On , it seems the words 'museum' and 'rare', end up on every other antique sale - ughhh! So here we go as well... except you CAN see that this maker and this product and this form IS truly, a museum worthy piece and is catologued at the V&A (Victoria & Albert) Museum of England.
Additionally, Carnegie Museum of Art has on display, an elaborate neo-classical decorated form of a CREIL teapot, with silver finial. It's on display. We have a nearly identical teapot and will also be offering it this week!
If you have a moment, you can fly to the United Kingdom and visit the V&A (Victoria & Albert) Museum of England. (visiting their website may be more cost effective but not as much fun) They have this sugar bowl (sugar basin & cover) in their collection. The form is identical. We feel safe in claiming this is a scarce & rare museum piece... We humbly suggest that you will not see this piece any time soon and finding it on this great unused condition - even harder still.
The above information is the result of a simple internet search using: CREIL BASALT SUGAR BOWL. Give it a shot. The top 3 results are the source of the above museum references and there are no additional findings.
The other pieces seen in the group photos are listed in our other sales. There are enough pieces to make a CREIL tea set if desired. The charming figural finial handle in the form of a reclining dog truly makes this piece.
GREAT ESTATE CONDITION!
Only the lid has a barely visible small fleck near the edge. Very hard to see. (see photo)
Measures 4 1/2" high and 4" in diameter.
PLEASE NOTE: There's a little bit of cotton lint visible on the pieces from where I dusted the piece off before taking pictures.
Offered at a penny start.... (FREE shipping if you win this and any 1 of our other sales.)
You will be satisfied!
See our: other items!
Be sure to add us to your favorites list !
SOME OF OUR OTHER STUFF...
In addition to the Creil pieces, we have a large 11" long teapot, that's unsigned. It's probably a Wedgwood Jasperware piece but I'm not certain. It could be a Creil piece also. There's a similar mourning maiden finial that I've seen on some Wedgwood & Creil pieces. (pictured here.)
The other Creil pieces...
Email questions! Have fun!
We diligently search for beauty and quality. Factors that remain, long after price is forgotten.Check out more of our rare and exciting items by clicking here: other items!
For exceptional, hard to find and unique items, offered at a penny start and !
Be sure to add us to your favorites list !THE TERMS...
- SHIPPING is determined by your location. We use USPS for 100% of our shipping. Insurance is required and included in the shipping & handling fee per 's policy. If you notice a quoted fee that is higher than you think it should be, consider that insurance is approximately $1 per $100 and we have already integrated the insurance fee into the shipping fee for the item based on our final value estimate for the item. We are in NORTH CAROLINA and offer the following insured delivery services:
- USPS Parcel Select
- USPS First Class
- USPS Priority
- USPS International Priority (Canada only)
- USPS International EMS (All other international locations)
- USPS Express (Domestic)
- FREE SHIPPING OFFER for MULTIPLE WINS DOES NOT INCLUDE FREE INSURANCE.
- DELIVERY TIME can take up to 9 days to CA, TX, WA, etc.! When checking out, consider CHOOSING PRIORITY please. It's only a little more cost and assures delivery in 2 to 4 days after we post.
- INTERNATIONAL CUSTOMERS please note: FOR CANADA, we can ship USPS PRIORITY. For ALL other locations outside the U.S.A, WE ONLY USE EMS.
- PLEASE NOTE: We love our international customers, especially from Japan, China and Europe. Feel free to offer and see our MAP at the bottom that shows all the locations we've shipped to... safely and economically. We've shipped hundreds of packages to Japan, China, Hungary, France, United Kingdom, Spain, Germany and on and on..... (see below for full terms regarding international shipment).
- response is important for us. We will always leave you good response once you've paid. We respectfully ask that if you' re dissatisfied in anyway, to please email us for help. We're human and misunderstandings arise on occasion. We may exclude something or not consider something that is important to you. We always work things out given a chance and desire 5 stars…
- SUITABILITY - PLEASE EMAIL EXPECTATIONS and QUESTIONS before offerding. A dealer that resells often has different criteria than a casual collector. Please ask appropriate questions.
- PAYMENT/ Terms of Sale / Satisfaction Guarantees are described herein and are absolute. Full payment expected within 3 days unless mailed. Please mail within 3 days though. No refunds are allowed unless stated elsewhere. If return is allowed, return shipment expense is always the buyers responsibility. We will refund your money once a mutual transaction withdrawal is completed by you (just so that we can get our fees back) We accept the following payment methods:
- Pay Pal
- Credit Card (Through Pay Pal)
- Bank Wire Transfer (for purchase of $300 or more only please)
- ALL RIGHTS RESERVED- Copyright © 2003-2012, Joseph Mari / argent-de-massif, associates, partners, etc. All content, images, and intellectual property on this site are protected by law. Digital copying of images strictly prohibited; violators will be pursued and prosecuted to the full extent of the law including the Digital Millennium Copyright Act. Do no duplicate our images for any reason please.
- MUST HAVE FUN - As a customer of ours, you agree that you will have fun and will be happier than before you bought from us. This is mandatory!
Sellers: Get your own map today. Click here now. Simple."