Rare Royal Doulton Office Staff Of Sept. 12 1903 Signed Stoneware Tyg Loving Cup
This item has been shown 0 times.
Rare Royal Doulton Office Staff Of Sept. 12 1903 Signed Stoneware Tyg Loving Cup:
&amp;amp;amp;lt;div style="text-decoration:none" height="27px" valign="middle" face="arial"
TO VIEW THIS ITEM PROPERLY YOU SHOULD USEGoogle Chrome - Get a fast new browser. For PC, Mac,and Linux OR Mozilla Firefox Web Browser - Free Download.
PAYING TOP DOLLAR $FOR THESEROYAL DOULTON KINGSWARE FLASKS,A SAILOR'S STORY, FOX HUNTING, GROUSE SHOOTING, MENDOZA, THE GALLEON, THE JESTER, THE QUIET WOMAN. EMAIL ME IF HAVE ANY OF THESE FLASKS, JUGS FOR SALE.
EMAIL MEIF HAVE ANY OF THESE FLASKS OR JUGS, ALSO WANTED HANNAH, FLORENCE BARLOW GEORGE TINWORTH, MARK MARSHALL, JOHN BROAD, HARRY BARNARD, ELIZA SIMMANCE, FRANK BUTLER, NOKE ITEMS.
NIAGARA FALLS, NY
NIAGARA FALLS, NY
This sale is for a RareOne of a KindHistorically ImportantRoyal Doulton, Doulton & Co. Ltd. Office Staff of Sept. 12, 1903 signed Tyg Loving Cup.
This Loving cup is signed D. (Duneau)Doulton,Orrock M. (Mills) Doulton,Kenneth Doulton.
This Loving cup is also signed byFive Newbyoffice staff familymembersworking at Doulton.Ernest J. (John) Newby,G.C. Newby,Geo. Newby,Jno. (John) Williams Newby,W. Newby,
The cup is also signed by 18 other Doulton office staff,
Frank Slade,Edward H. Buck,A. J. Thometh,Chas. Davis,A. Drew,J. Williams, C.L. Jones,A. Baldwin,W.C. Butler,C.W. Leyland,E.H. Raitt,Walter H. Lee,L. Looper or Hooper,A. Vickers,H.A. Leigh,J.R. Brown,G. Harris,H. Spundens.
This sale is for an important historical presentation tyg, loving cup that is a significant piece of Doulton & Co. Ltd. history.
Inscribed on the front of the loving cup. "We Wish You Good luck, Sept. 12, 1903, To Ernest J. Newby, With Best Wishes From, His Office Colleagues".
This is the only item ever produced by Doulton from 1815 to the present day that has a Doulton's signature inscribed on an item produced by the company.
Michael Doulton in recent years as a Brand Ambassador for Royal Doulton signed many items with a black permanent marker that is not under-glazed.
This beautiful stoneware Loving cup is signed by 25 of Royal Doulton's Office Staff on Sept. 12, 1903.
Here are thesignatureson thispiece of Doulton history.
Ronald D. (Duneau)Doulton,Orrock M. (Mills) Doulton,Kenneth Doulton,
Ernest J. (John) Newby,G.C. Newby,Geo. Newby,Jno. (John) Williams Newby,W. Newby,Frank Slade,Edward H. Buck,A. J. Thometh,Chas. Davis,A. Drew,J. Williams, C.L. Jones,A. Baldwin,W.C. Butler,C.W. Leyland,E.H. Raitt,Walter H. Lee,L. Looper or Hooper,A. Vickers,H.A. Leigh,J.R. Brown,G. Harris,H. Spundens.
Ernest John Newbyleft the employ of the Doulton & Co. on Sept.12, 1903 and in the Newby family records he was employed by Doulton & Co. as a Commercial Clerk, at a Pottery CompanyApril 2, 1911(Age Earnest John Newby, (B1874-D1942) age 68.
John Williams Newby born in 1849,diedin 1929 at age 80 was the father of Ernest J. Newby born 1874,died in 1942 at age 68.One of thesignatures on the loving cup on Sept. 12, 1903 was Ernest's father Jno. Newby. Both worked most of their lives at the employ of Doulton & Co. Ltd.
The bottom of the loving cup has an unusual pictorial cobalt blue stamp of a tea cup andTur-e-amark. Plus the Royal Doulton stamp from 1903. The initialsR.H.forRosina HarrisSenior Assistant at Doulton. Also an unknown Doulton artist mark.
This item was in the Newby family home china cabinet for most of its life in London England. The loving cup is in excellent condition with a small manufacturing hairline crack on the base of one of the handles.
A tyg is a large English pottery mug with three or more handles dividing the rim into sections for several drinkers. These tall, black-glazed, red-bodied drinking vessels were produced from the 15th century through the first half of the 17th century, peaking in popularity during the 16th and 17th centuries. Some were made with as many as nine handles.
The multiple handles also allow hot drinks to be passed around without pain.Tygs were made in large quantities at Wrotham in Kent and in many Staffordshire factories. Examples have surfaced at 17th-century American colonial sites, as well as in the UK.
There is a whole other life to Tygs. The miniatures, many of the leading names in Staffordshire and Worcester area have manufactured three handled Tygs that stand proud at only 1 to 1 7/10 inches in size.
There are also examples of Japanese and German Tygs.Many people ask what are they for? The most likely answer for the small ones is for decoration, as many of them are exquisitely painted and are widely collected.
Tyg made by George Richardson, Wrotham, Kent, dated 1651EAST SHEEN UNITED REFORMED (FORMERLY CONGREGATIONAL) CHURCH,MORTLAKE: RECORDS, 1716-1950.
Provenance Presented by B H Sanders, secretary of East Sheen Congregational Church, in November 1963.- Introduction East Sheen Congregational Church was gathered in 1662 by the Rev David Clarkson, after his ejection from the parish church at Mortlake, following the Act of Uniformity. In 1716, the old chapel in Sheen Lane was built and was the place of worship for the congregation until it was sold in 1755. The congregation continued, although without a chapel, and in 1797, with the establishment of the Congregationalist 'Surrey Mission', the Sunday School was founded. A building was erected on a site between Sheen Lane and St Leonard's Road in c.1802.
The old chapel was purchased and re-opened by Drs. Binney and Leifchild in 1836 and renovated in 1868. In 1842, the schoolroom of Mortlake British School was built by Dr Townley.
In 1897, it was decided to build a new church in commemoration of the centenary of the Sunday School. The site in Vernon Road was purchased in 1898 at a cost of £550. The old chapel was closed in1901byJohn Newby, deacon,and in 1902, the new Church was opened byMrs Ronald Doulton. The story of Congregationalism in Surrey.
One prominent worker at this time wasMr. JohnDoulton,eldest son of the founder of the great potteryfirm atLambeth.Through him an organ was placedin the gallery as a memorial to Dr. Henderson. ForyearsMr. Doulton was deaconand superintendent ofthe Sunday school. Another worker to whom the churchowes much wasJohn Williams Newby.
Doulton & Co. Ltd. 1903.
Henry Lewis Doulton(b. 1853, d. 1930) Managing Director & first Chairman of Doulton & Co. Ltd.
Ronald Duneau Doulton(b. 1852, d. 1929) a director of Doulton & Co. Ltd. Office Staff
Orrok Mills Doulton(b. 1880, d. 1922), (later Sir Orrok Doulton) servered as a cavalry officer in the First World War. Office Staff.
Kenneth Doulton, Salesman (b.1849), Office Staff
Bernard Doulton, a manager of a bath foundry at Paisley.
Allan Doulton, a manager at the Burslem Works.
John Doulton (II) (b. 1819, d. 1862)
John Doulton (II) was born in 1819, the first child of John (I) and Jane Duneau. ‘John Doulton, 21, potter’ is listed as living with his father at Lambeth in the 1841 census, but his marriage to Mary Mathieson must have followed shortly because his first child, John (III) was born in 1845 at Camberwell, Surrey. John and Mary Mathieson Doulton had six children,
John Doulton (III) (b. 1845)
Kenneth Doulton (b.1849)
Mary Doulton (b.1850)
Ronald Duneau Doulton (b. 1852)
All five of John Doulton’s sons worked within Doulton & Co, John (III) at Lambeth, Kenneth in sales, Bernard as manager of a bath foundry at Paisley and Allan at the Burslem Works. Ronald Duneau Doulton, his third son, was to become a founding Director of Doulton & Co. Ltd on its formation in 1899.
John Doulton (II) died on 23rd February 1862 at the relatively young age of 43.
Henry Lewis Doulton (b. 1853, d. 1930)
Henry Lewis Doulton, Henry Doulton’s only son, was born on 12th February 1853. He married a Jessie Maria White, however, the couple had no children. Lewis Doulton entered the family business in about 1873, and was made a partner in 1881 when Henry Doulton transferred to his son one quarter of his capital (the enormous sum of £52,679).
On the incorporation of the business in 1899 Lewis Doulton assumed the positions of Managing Director and first Chairman of Doulton & Co. Ltd, only ceding the position of Managing Director to his nephew Lewis John Eric Hooper in 1919, and that of Chairman (also to Lewis Hooper) on his retirement in 1925.
Henry Lewis Doulton died on 3rd November 1930.
Ronald Duneau Doulton (b. 1852, d. 1929)
Ronald Duneau Doulton, the third son of Henry Doulton’s elder brother John II (thus a nephew of Henry Doulton and a cousin of Henry Lewis Doulton) also played an important role in the management of the business. He assumed responsibility for the administration of the Doulton businesses on the death of his uncle James Duneau Doulton in 1889, and became a director of Doulton & Co. Ltd from the date of incorporation of the business in 1899.
Ronald Duneau Doulton married Agnes Margaret Farquhar and the couple had eight children. Of Ronald Doulton’s six sons, three, Orrok Mills, Kenneth and James Doulton worked for the family company during the early years of the 20th Century.
Ronald Doultondied on the 5th September 1929.
Orrok Mills Doulton(b. 1880, d. 1922) (and descendents)
The second son of Ronald Doulton, Orrok Mills Doulton (later Sir Orrok Doulton) worked in the family business before serving as a cavalry officer in the First World War. He died, reputedly of Spanish Influenza, but probably of war wounds, in 1922 shortly after the end of the war.
Orrok Mills Doulton married Catherine May Duke and of five children, the eldest, Peter D. Doulton, worked for some time in the Doulton business. The second son Michael Duke Doulton, an RAF pilot, died on 31st August 1940 when his Hurricane fighter was shot down over the Thames Estuary during the Battle of Britain.
Orrok Sherwood Doulton, the third son (b. 1916, d. 1977) worked in the family business all of his life, becoming a Director of the company in 1935.
Orrok Sherwood Doulton died in 1977.
Sherwood Doulton’s two sons,Michael Doultonand Mark Doulton also worked for the Doulton companies, and Michael Doulton continues (2011) as a ‘Brand Ambassador’ for the Doulton brand under its new owners WWRD Holdings Ltd.
How the Loving cup was made.
Most people see just a loving cup that was presented to Earnest J. Newby upon leaving the employ of Doulton & Co. Ltd. on Sept. 12, 1903.
In order to see what I see we have to go back in time prior the Sept. 12, 1903. Earnest Newby at some point informed Doulton & Co. that he would be leaving the company, for what reason it's not known at this time.
We know that in 1903 there were at least five Doulton's and five Newby family members working at Doulton & Co., Mr. Ronald Duneau Doulton, Mr. John Doulton (III) and John Williams Newby, George Newby were involved in the East Sheen Congregational Church.
The Doulton's and Newby family worked together andworshiped, prayed together in the same church. John Doulton was a deacon and superintendent of the Sunday school for many years. John Williams Newby was a deacon for many years also.
The management at Doulton made a decision to have this presentation loving made upon Earnest Newby leaving the company.
Rosina Harrisa senior assistant artist at Doulton was awarded the task of making the loving cup. On examination of the cup I can see that it was spun on a potter's wheel because of the finger marks on the inside and outside of the cup.
Before the handles were applied marks were made on the cup where some of the signatures were to be placed. Three Doulton's signed where the handles were to be applied.
Kenneth Doulton and Orrock Mills Doulton signed from the top of the handle to the bottom of the handle. Ronald Duneau Doulton signed from the bottom of the handle to the top.
I can assume this was done in error when the loving cup was passed around to be signed. Some of the signatures have a cut line mark under where the office staff signed their names. A few signatures are jammed together and some area's have a lot of space. This can only mean that some office staff was absent when the signatures were placed on the cup. Then the handles were applied and the cup was decorated and salt glazed.
The meaning of theTur-e-uwith an incised tea cup on the bottom of the cup is a mystery to me.
Thepresentation of this loving cup was possibly awarded at the end of the work day. There must have been a great partygoing on when this cup was presented to Earnest Newby. Management to Newby"We Wish You Good luck, Sept. 12, 1903, To Ernest J. Newby, With Best Wishes From, His Office Colleagues".
This Loving cup seems to be the only piece of pottery ever made that has actual signatures of any Doulton that worked from its beginning in 1815 to the present day.
This loving cup's destiny will be a museum in the near future.
Abel Da SilvaROYAL DOULTONOFFICE STAFF 1903TYG LOVING CUP.ROYAL DOULTON OFFICE STAFF 1903 TYG LOVING CUPView photosDownload allYou are invited to view Abel's album. This album has91 files.DOULTONMichael Duke
Flying Officer (Pilot) 90235, 601 Squadron, Royal Air Force (Auxiliary Air Force). Died 31st August 1940. Aged 31. Son of Orrok Mills Doulton and of Catherine May Doulton (Nee Duke); husband of Carol Doulton (nee Christie), of Vinehall, Sussex. A.M. 1. Mech. E. 2. Buried in SALEHURST CEMETERY, Sussex. Grave 133B.
M. D. DOULTON
ROYAL AIR FORCE
AUXILLIARY AIR FORCE
31ST AUGUST 1940 AGE 31
Orrok Mills Doulton (1880-1922) photo onupperright.
5 June 2005War Memorials TrustCommonwealth War Graves CommissionCopyright© Roll-of-Honour.com 2002-2012
Descendents of Henry Doulton who were partners ofdirectors of the family company 1854-2005
Partner or Director
John Doulton I
Partner in Doulton & Co. (from 1854)
Children of John Doulton
John Doulton II
1854 - 1873
Partner in Doulton & Co.
Partner in Doulton & Co.
Six other children
Children of Henry Doulton
Sarah Lillian Doulton
Henry Lewis Doulton
Partner in Doulton & Co.
Managing Director of Doulton & Co Ltd
Chairman of Doulton & Co. Ltd
Katherine Duneau Doulton
Cousin of Henry Lewis Doulton
Ronald Duneau Doulton
(Son of John Doulton II)
Nephew of Henry Lewis Doulton
Lewis John Eric Hooper
(Son of Sarah Doulton and John Hooper)
Director of Doulton & Co. Ltd
Orrok Sherwood Doulton
1916 - 1977
Director of Doulton & Co. Ltd
ChairmanErnest JohnNewbyGiven namesErnest JohnSurnameNewbyEvents of close 2, 1911(Age 37)12 Graemesdyke Clerk, Pottery CompanyApril 2, 1911(Age 2, 1911(Age 37)12 Graemesdyke 1, 1942(Age 68)43 Gloucester Road,Kingston Hill,Kingston Upon note:England & Wales, Death Index: 1916-20051942 Newby Ernest J deathLast changeOctober 22, 2012- namesJohnSurnameNewbyEvents of close WestwoodEves-View Family
October 1872(Age 30, 1929(Age 80)East Sheen changeOctober 22, 2012- class="MsoNormal" style="margin-bottom: 0.0001pt; text-align: center;" align="center">father
U.S. SHIPPING RATES
SHIPPING & HANDLINGPER ADDITIONAL ITEMSERVICEDELIVERY TIMEFREE
10-14 BUSINESS DAYS
5-7 BUSINESS DAYS
3 BUSINESS DAYSCANADIAN SHIPPING RATES
SHIPPING & HANDLINGPER ADDITIONAL ITEMSERVICEDELIVERY EXPEDITED2-5 BUSINESS DAYSINTERNATIONAL SHIPPING RATES
SHIPPING & HANDLINGPER ADDITIONAL ITEMSERVICEDELIVERY TIME$FREE
FIRST CLASS INTERNATIONAL
10-14 BUSINESS DAYS
Check out myother items!MENDOZA KINGSWARE FLASK BELOW NOT FOR SALECheck out myother out myother items!ROYAL DOULTON HISTORY
John Doulton (November 17, 1793 – May 26, 1873) was an English businessman and manufacturer of pottery, a founder of the firm that later became known as Royal Doulton. John Doulton married Jane Duneau, a widow from Bridgnorth in Shropshire, who died April 9, 1841. They had eight children, including Sir Henry, Bob MP, Josiah and Alfred.
In 1815, soon after John Doulton had completed his apprenticeship as a potter, he invested his life savings of £100 in the Vauxhall Walk pottery of Martha Jones, Lambeth. Her foreman, John Watts, was also taken into partnership and the firm became known as Jones, Watts and Doulton. It specialized in industrial ware, brown stoneware, drain pipes as well as stoneware bottles for chemicals, beer, and other industrial liquids among others. Martha Jones withdrew from the partnership in 1820 and the company moved to new premises in Lambeth High Street in 1826.
In 1835 John's 15 year old son Henry Doulton was taken on as an apprentice. By 1846, Henry had set up an independent Lambeth Pottery which had become the leader in industrial products, particularly sanitation products. Following the retirement of John Watts in 1853, Doulton and Watts merged with Henry's company to become Doulton and Company and was highly recognized for its lines of hand decorated figurines, vases and dinnerware.
Sir Henry Doulton (25 July 1820 – 18 November 1897) was an English businessman, inventor and manufacturer of pottery, instrumental in developing the firm of Royal Doulton.
Born in Vauxhall, Henry was the second of the eight children of John Doulton (1793–1873), a pottery manufacturer, and his wife, Jane Duneau, a widow from Bridgnorth in Shropshire.
His brother, Frederick Doulton, became Member of Parliament for Lambeth from 1862 until 1868. His father had become a partner in a pottery business in 1815 but Henry was the most academic of his children. Henry spent two years at the University College School where he developed a love of literature.
His father had thought Henry the least likely to join the family business, perhaps being destined for a profession, but in 1835, he joined the firm, as did all his brothers other than Frederick. One of the first results of his many experiments was the production of good enamel glazes.
In 1846 he initiated in Lambeth the pipe works, in which he superintended the manufacture of the drainage and sanitary appliances which have helped to make the firm of Doulton famous.
In 1870 the manufacture of "Art pottery" was begun at Lambeth, using the skills of students from the Lambeth School of Art ( later the City and Guilds of London Art School ). The company exhibited at the Centennial Exposition of 1876 in Philadelphia.
In 1877 works were opened at Burslem, where almost every variety of porcelain and earthenware has been produced. Works have since been opened at Rowley Regis, Smethwick, St Helens, Paisley and Paris. After the Paris exhibition of 1878, Henry Doulton was made a Chevalier of the Légion d'honneur.
In 1872 the Art department was instituted in the Doulton works, giving employment to both male and female artists, among whom such workers as George Tinworth and Misses Hannah and Florence Barlow obtained a reputation outside their immediate sphere.
In 1887 Henry Doulton received the honor of a knighthood, and a few years later was awarded the Albert Medal by the Royal Society of Arts.
In 1849 he married Sarah, the daughter of Elizabeth and James Lewis Kennaby. They had three children, Sarah Lillian (1852-), Henry Lewis (1853–1930), and Katherine Duneau (1856–1932). His wife Sarah died in 1888. Sir Henry Doulton took an active interest, as almoner, in St Thomas' Hospital.
Appropriately after his death in London, he was placed in a mausoleum at West Norwood Cemetery constructed from red pottery tiles and bricks from the Doulton Works, which is now a Grade II Listed building.
Doulton and Co.
November 1963. Doulton and Co, of Royal Doulton Potteries, Burslem, Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshireof Royal Doulton Potteries, High Street, Lambeth, London, SE1; and Nile Street, Burslem, Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire. Telephone: London - Reliance 1241; Burslem - Hanley 7266. Cables: "Doultons, London"; "Doultons, Burslem". (1929)
The Doulton Company produced tableware and collectables, with a history dating back to 1815. Operating originally in London, its reputation developed when it moved to The Potteries, where it was a relative latecomer compared with other leading names such as Spode, Wedgwood and Mintons. Today, its products include dinnerware, giftware, cookware, porcelain, glassware, collectables, jewellery, linens, curtains, and lighting, among other items.
Its three key brands are Royal Doulton, Royal Albert, and Minton. Together, the three brands make up Doulton Home, which is now part of the Waterford Wedgwood group. Most of the pieces in these three brands are manufactured outside the United Kingdom, in the Far East and Indonesia.
1815 John Doulton (1793–1873) became a partner in the pottery of Martha Jones in Vauxhall Walk, London, together with John Watts. The business became Jones, Watts and Doulton. It specialised in making stoneware articles, such as decorative bottles and salt glaze sewer pipes
1820 Mrs Jones withdrew from the business.1826 Doulton and Watts flourished, moving in 1826 to premises in Lambeth High Street.1834 Doulton and Watts establishment at High St, Lambeth involved 12 men working 2 kilns per week.
Eventually 6 of John's sons joined the business including John junior (the eldest) and Henry who became an apprentice in 1835. Henry was to be the driving force behind a number of innovations which made the name of Doulton world famous.
1846 Henry Doulton left home to start his own business to make ceramic pipes for the sanitary market. In addition Henry continued to help his father's firm of Doulton and Watts, and both concerns gradually expanded onto adjoining land and premises.
1853 John Watts retired.
1853 Doulton and Co was established by John and his son Henry as makers of fine English stoneware.
1855 Partnership dissolved: Doulton and Watts, potters, High St, Lambeth.
At some point the 3 businesses of Doulton and Watts, Henry Doulton and Co and the independent pipe works owned by Henry's brother, John Doulton junior, were brought together.
c.1857 John Sparkes, principal of the Lambeth School of Art, approached Henry Doulton with the idea of producing artistic ware. While the functional pottery business was so successful, there was little incentive to develop new product lines. Eventually Sparkes and Edward Cresy, an engineer and lifelong friend of Henry Doulton, convinced him to experiment with artistic designs. Much work was needed to solve the problems of making artware.
1862 Doulton and Watts demonstrated a potter's wheel at the International Exhibition.1867 Henry Doulton presented the first examples of his art pottery at the Paris Exhibition.1870 Doulton's technical problems with artware were finally solved.
By 1871, Henry Doulton had launched a studio at the Lambeth pottery, and offered work to designers and artists from a local art school. Their names included the Barlow family (Florence, Hannah, and Arthur), Frank Butler, Mark Marshall, Eliza Simmance, and George Tinworth.
1873 John Doulton senior died. By this time, the firm was an established leader in industrial ceramics, and was just entering the field of art pottery.
The revival by Doulton and Co of the salt glaze stoneware that came to be known as Doulton Ware was one of the major triumphs of the firm. From small beginning, the staff of artists and decorators (including such well-known names as George Tinworth and Hannah Barlow) rose to 345 by 1890.
1876 John Duneau Doulton registered the company's first trademarks.
1877/8 Doulton bought a small factory from Pinder, Bourne and Co at Nile Street in Burslem, Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire. Doulton became increasingly popular, thanks mainly to the artistic direction of John Slater, who worked across a wide variety of figurines, vases, character jugs, and decorative pieces. The company was soon producing bone china at this factory.
1882 The name of the Burslem works was changed from Pinder, Bourne and Co to Doulton and Co Ltd.
1882 A new building was added to the High Street Pottery to cope with the demand for artware, which took numerous medals and prizes. This success was matched by growth in the Staffordshire potteries. The knighthood conferred on Henry Doulton in 1887 was a recognition of his outstanding achievements.
1889 The Lambeth establishment employed c.2000 people and there were another 2000 employees in other parts of the Doulton empire; drain pipe works were also at St Helens and Rowley Regis.
1891 Doulton and Watts, encaustic tile makers, filter makers and crucible makers, 28 High St, Lambeth. Doulton and Co was at Albert Embankment.
1891 Henry Lewis Doulton became a partner.
1895 Doulton and Watts, Lambeth Pottery, London SE, manufacturers of Doulton ware, etc. Showroom at Albert Embankment. City showroom at Holborn Circus. Encaustic tile manufacturers, 24 High St, Lambeth. Doulton and Co (Lambeth Sanitary Engineering works) and makers of carbon filters, 24 High St, Lambeth.
1897 Henry Doulton retired in summer 1897, and died in November.
1898 Doulton and Co: offer of public shares in the company. The growth of the company and the withdrawal of Sir Henry's capital had made this step necessary, which took place on 1 January 1899; Henry Lewis Doulton was chairman and managing director; the other directors were Ronald Duncan Doulton (Henry's nephew), Benjamin Hannen, a builder, and William Turnbull, a partner in a firm of china merchants.
1899 The company was registered on 29 November, to take over the business of Doulton and Co, of the Lambeth Pottery.
1901 The popularity of Doulton products had come to the attention of the Royal Family and the Burslem factory was granted the Royal Warrant by the new King, Edward VII. It was this that enabled the business to adopt new back-stamp and a name that would last: Royal Doulton.
1911 Engineers (Sanitary) for the Railways.
1914 Listed as potters and sanitary engineers. Specialities: the art pottery universally known as "Doulton Ware"; the "Lambeth Faience"; "Carrara" stoneware, largely used for architectural decoration; "Terra Cotta" for architectural use and horticultural ornaments; "Holbein", "Rouge Flambé", "Crystalline" glazes; fine earthenware and china. Employees 4,000.
WWI Morgan Crucible Co acquired the crucible business of Doulton and Co
1918 Henry Lewis resigned the managing directorship and the chairmanship in 1925, being succeeded in both positions by his nephew Eric Hooper.
After the first World War, Royal Doulton went on to become synonymous with the finest English china worldwide. That name and reputation continued to grow with flambé ware, titanian ware, and bone china.
1929 Listed Exhibitor - British Industries Fair. Manufacturers of Fine China and Fine Earthenware for all services and all markets. Decorative Pottery, China Statuettes, Rouge Flambé, Chang and Sung. Also Lambeth Stoneware Art Goods. (Stand No. G.61)
1947 Advert in British Industries Fair Catalogue as Exhibiting Member of the British Pottery Manufacturers' Federation of Federation House, Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire. Composite Exhibit. (Pottery and Glassware Section - Olympia, Ground Floor, Stand No. A.1196)
1956 The Lambeth factory closed due to new clean air regulations that prevented the production of salt-glaze in the urban Environment. Following closure, all work was transferred to The Potteries. The firm's headquarters remained there until 1971. The building was demolished in 1976.
1968 The old established pottery company Mintons merged with Royal Doulton.
1968 Queen's Award to Industry for Technological Innovation to Doulton Industrial Products and Doulton Research.
1969 Sold pipe interests to Hepworth Iron Co.
1971 S. Pearson and Son acquired Doulton and Co and the outstanding interests in Allied English Potteries that it did not already own. As a result Royal Albert, as a part of Allied English Potteries, joined with Royal Doulton.
Since then, the business has combined the current three main brands under a shared identity: Royal Doulton, Royal Albert, and Minton.
2004 All production by the company in the UK ceased. Following Wedgwood's acquisition of Royal Doulton on 14 January, 2005, Royal Doulton has left its factory in Burslem having established a state-of-the-art production facility in Indonesia.
2008 The company still produces fine bone china, fine china and Royal Doulton Lambeth ware.
Doulton & Watts (1815-1854)
John Doulton, born in London on 17th November 1793, was made an apprentice at the Fulham Pottery in 1805 and completed his apprenticeship in 1812. Doulton then found employment as a thrower at a small pottery in Vauxhall Walk, owned, following the death of her husband, by a Mrs Martha Jones.
John Doulton and John Watts, the pottery foreman, became partners in the business with Mrs Jones in 1815, the business trading as Jones, Watts & Doulton. In 1820 Mrs Jones retired, the partnership was dissolved and Doulton and Watts continued the business on their own account. The dissolution of the partnership and the start of he Doulton business is recorded in the London Gazette for 4th February 1820:
NOTICE is hereby given that the Partnership between Martha Jones, John Watts and John Doulton of Vauxhall-Walk, in the County of Surrey, Potters, and carried on under the firm of Jones, Watts and Doulton, is this day dissolved by mutual consent; and that the debts due from the said Co-partnership will be paid by the said John Watts and John Doulton, the continuing Partners to whom all debts due to the said Partnership are to be paid.
The business, now known as Doulton & Watts, moved to Lambeth High Street in 1826 and continued to develop its main business of stoneware bottle manufacture. John Doulton (Jnr) (b. 1819) and Henry Doulton (b.1820) joined their father in the successful family business.
In 1846 Henry Doulton established a separate business to manufacture sanitary ware and earthenware pipes. Unable to find all of the capital required, Henry turned to his father and the business was established at 63 High St, Lambeth, adjacent to Doulton & Watts, with Henry Doulton, John Doulton (Snr) and younger son Frederick Doulton as the partners. Such was the demand for sanitary ware that within a few years Henry Doulton & Co. had established pipe-making factories in the English Midlands at Dudley, Smethwick and Rowley Regis.
John Doulton (Jnr) also started an independent business (in 1947), establishing a pipe-making factory at St Helens in Lancashire to supply pipes to Liverpool and the north-west.
At the end of 1853 John Watts retired, triggering the liquidation of his partnership with John Doulton. He was well rewarded, receiving his share of the partnership as an annuity of £150 per annum and interest at 5% on a sum of £5000.
Doulton & Co. (Ltd), (1854–1993)
On the retirement of John Watts, the Doulton family liquidated their now three independently operating businesses and from the 1st January 1854 formed a new partnership under the name ‘Doulton & Co.’ with a paid-up capital of £51,682. The contributions of the respective liquidated businesses were:
Doulton & WattsCredit of John Doulton £8,109Henry Doulton & Co.Credit of Henry Doulton £19,412Credit of John Doulton (Snr) £9,706Credit of Frederick Doulton £4,853John DoultonCredit of John Doulton (Jnr) £9,276
*The figures, above, are from the book by Desmond Eyles: Royal Doulton 1815-1865 – The Rise and Expansion of the Royal Doulton Potteries. Hutchinson of London (1965).
Henry Doulton’s vision to invest in pipe manufacture was thus truly vindicated as the value of Henry Doulton & Co., in only six years, had increased from the initial £1,400 invested by the three partners to over £33,000, and contributing to the new business over three times the value of Doulton & Watts the long established family business.
Shareholders in Doulton & Co. were Henry Doulton (47/125th), John Doulton (Snr) (42/125th), John Doulton (Jnr) (23/125th), Frederick Doulton (12/125th), and Alfred Doulton (1/125th).
Only two years into the new partnership Alfred Doulton died whilst returning from a visit to Australia, John Doulton (II) died in 1862 and when Frederick Doulton retired from the business to enter politics, the partnership was reconstituted from 1st January 1864 with the partners being Henry Doulton (14/25th), John Doulton (I) (10/25th), and James Duneau Doulton (1/25th). James (b. 1835) was the youngest son of John Doulton (I) and was to become the administrative manager of the Doulton businesses.
Henry Lewis Doulton, Henry Doulton’s only son entered the business in November 1872, and when John Doulton (I) died in1873 a new partnership was required. This was formed from January 1881 when Lewis Doulton entered the partnership and Henry Doulton transferred one quarter of his capital to his son. The value of the business had increased to £290,192, and the new partners were Henry Doulton (54/100th), James Doulton (27/100th), and Henry Lewis Doulton (18/100th).
James Doulton died in 1889, and Sir Henry Doulton in November 1897, however, the business continued under the leadership of his son Henry Lewis Doulton and nephew Ronald Duneau Doulton. The business was incorporated in 1899 as Doulton & Co. Ltd with Henry Lewis Doulton as both the Chairman and first Managing Director. The other founding Directors were his cousin Ronald Duneau Doulton (who had replaced James Doulton as the principal administrator of the Doulton businesses), Benjamin Hannen, a well known master-builder, and William Turnbull, principal of the china merchants Turnbull, Lachlan & Co.
The capital of Doulton & Co. Ltd was established as £1,100,000, constituted as 400,000 ordinary £1 shares, £350,000 in 5% preference shares, and £350,000 in 4% irredeemable debenture stock. As the vendor of Doulton & Co., Lewis Doulton took all of the ordinary shares and one-third of both the preference and debenture stock in the new company. The balance of the preference shares and debenture stock were offered to the public.Doulton was granted a Royal Warrant and right to use ‘Royal’ in the name of its products by King Edward VII in 1901.
Henry Lewis Doulton remained as Managing Director until 1918 and as Chairman until 1925. Having no children, Lewis Doulton looked to his nephew, Lewis John Eric Hooper to continue the family connection with the business. Eric Hooper, who trained first as a lawyer, had entered the business in 1902 and was appointed to the Board as a Director in 1909. He succeeded his uncle both as Managing Director (in 1918), and as Chairman in 1925.
Eric Hooper remained as Chairman until his death in 1955 and was succeeded by E. Basil Green who had been Joint Managing Director (1947-1950) and then sole Managing Director until his appointment as Chairman in 1955.
In January 1956 Doulton & Co. Ltd reorganised its operations into four subsidiary companies, manufacturing respectively, sanitary wares, industrial porcelains, drainage pipes, and earthenware and fine china. The latter, the non-industrial ceramics business, became the responsibility of the new subsidiary company 'Doulton Fine China Ltd' registered in October1955.
Basil Green remained Chairman of Doulton & Co. Ltd until the end of 1963 and was succeeded by Mr. J. Kenneth Warrington, a former manager at Nile St, Burslem and, at the time, the Managing Director of Doulton Fine China Ltd.
Doulton & Co. Ltd (and its many subsidiaries) was acquired by S. Pearson & Co. Ltd in November 1971, however, Doulton & Co. Ltd continued to operate as the holding company for the Pearson Group's ceramics interests until the float of Royal Doulton plc in 1993.
See also: The Doulton Family for more information on the role of Sir Henry Doulton’s descendants in the management of the business including a list of family Partnerships/Directors, and a family tree.
Doulton & Co. was first and foremost a manufacturer of industrial ceramics, including water filters, drainage pipes and sanitary fittings. In the early 1860s, however, the company began the manufacture of domestic and ornamental salt glazed stoneware that became known as 'Doulton Ware'. The nearby Lambeth School of Art became associated with the Doulton business from about the same time and Henry Doulton joined the Board of the School in 1863.
Doulton & Co.'s decorative stoneware produced in association with the School of Art had enormous success at International Exhibitions in the 1860s and 1870s, culminating in acclaim at the Philadelphia Exhibition in 1886 (and also at Chicago in1893). Public interest, and production, peaked in the late 1890s when about 370 artists were employed at Lambeth making the salt-glazed ornamental stoneware.
With the death of Queen Victoria in 1901 and changing social tastes, the demand for the intricately ornamented stoneware declined so that by 1914 less than 100 artists were still employed. Following the end of the First World War, Lambeth produced stoneware reflecting more contemporary tastes, but by 1920 artist numbers had declined to only 30 – although small quantities continued to be made up to, and throughout (for export only), the Second World War.
Production continued on a small scale from the end of the war, and in 1952 the artist and potter Agnete Hoy joined Doulton, designing both individual pieces and limited edition works. She combined her unique style with the traditional Lambeth decorating techniques for a last flowering of the Lambeth stoneware tradition. Hoy’s design studio and the Lambeth works closed in 1956. Lambeth remained the headquarters of Doulton & Co. Ltd until 1971 and the buildings were demolished in1976.
The Lambeth stoneware is exceptionally diverse and highly collectible and there are many specialist texts devoted to the story of Lambeth and its potter-artists.
In 1974, Doulton introduced 'Lambeth Stoneware' as a casual tableware brand in an oven and freezer proof stoneware body.
Doulton & Co. Burslem
In 1877 or 1878, Henry and James Doulton purchased an interest in Pinder, Bourne & Co., manufacturers of domestic earthenware, sanitary fittings and electrical insulators at Nile St, Burslem. Doulton had bought sanitary ware from the Burslem firm and the investment, of £12,000, followed an approach from Shadford Pinder, the principle of the business. Speculatively, Pinder was probably concerned to improve the quality of his domestic earthenware, while the business’ sanitary and industrial ware would have been of interest to the Doultons. The investment established Henry Doulton as an earthenware manufacturer in the North Staffordshire potteries.
Shadforth Pinder continued as the principal of the business, however, the partnership was not a success and in 1882 Pinder accepted a settlement and retired. The business was then reconstituted under the name Doulton & Co., Burslem with Henry and James Doulton as the joint owners (Henry Lewis Doulton was to join his father and uncle as a partner in 1884).
Although Pinder had departed he left able employees. Henry Doulton confirmed the appointment of John Slater as the art director, and made John Cuthbert Bailey the manager of the Nile St factory. Bailey, only 23 at the time, was an inspired appointment and was to work for the company for the whole of his long working life.
Under the management of Bailey and Slater, the Nile St factory grew to match and even exceed the achievements of Lambeth. Bone china manufacture was commenced in 1884 and under the direction of Slater a team of talented artists was was to produce the Doulton Burslem vases and ornamental porcelains that rival the products of Worcester, Minton and Derby. Charles J. Noke, trained at Worcester under the artist Charles Binns, was employed as a modeller and decorator at Burslem in 1889, eventually to succeed John Slater as art director in 1914.
Expansion of the Nile St factory commenced in 1884-85 with the building of a bone china factory, in 1887 an adjoining works in Sylvester St was acquired, and in 1889 and 1907 the works were further expanded to cope with demand. Whieldon Sanitary Potteries Ltd, formerly F. Winkle & Co. Ltd, was acquired in 1937 allowing sanitary and industrial ceramic manufacture to be transferred from Nile St allowing the expansion of fine earthenware and bone china production. Nile St continued in full production (for export) throughout the Second World War, and further expansion of the factory took place following the end of the war.
In 1956, the Doulton & Co. Burslem operations became the core of the new company Doulton Fine China Ltd.
See also:The Doulton Family for more information on the role of Sir Henry Doulton’s descendants in the management of the business including a list of family Partnerships/Directors, and a family tree.
Doulton Fine China Ltd (1956–1973)
In January 1956 Doulton reorganised its operations into four subsidiaries, manufacturing sanitary ware, industrial porcelain (electrical insulators, laboratory porcelain etc), drainage pipes, and earthenware and fine china. The latter, the non-industrial ceramics business, became the responsibility of a new subsidiary company 'Doulton Fine China Ltd' registered in October 1955. The main products of the company were tableware, figurines and character jugs marketed under the Royal Doulton name.
Doulton was at the forefront of the consolidation of the UK ceramics industry during the 1960s taking over the businesses of Mintons Ltd and Dunn Bennett & Co. Ltd in 1968, and Webb Corbett Ltd (glass) and John Beswick Ltd in 1969. In November 1971 S. Pearson & Son Ltd, a member of the Pearson Group, and already owner of Allied English Potteries Ltd, acquired Doulton & Co. Ltd, merging the two groups under the Doulton name. Allied English Potteries Ltd was renamed Royal Doulton Tableware Ltd and became a subsidiary of Doulton & Co. Ltd responsible for the tableware and giftware businesses of both groups. Doulton & Co. Ltd continued to operate as the holding company for Pearson's ceramics interests until the float of Royal Doulton plc in 1993.
Following the merger with Allied English Potteries Ltd in November 1971 the Doulton Fine China Ltd business became part of Royal Doulton Tableware Ltd. Use of the Doulton Fine China Ltd name continued, however, until circa 1973.
Royal Doulton Tableware Ltd (1973–1993)
S. Pearson & Son Ltd, a subsidiary of the Pearson industrial conglomerate led by Lord Cowdray, acquired Doulton & Co. Ltd (Royal Doulton) in November 1971. Pearson was already the owner of Allied English Potteries Ltd and the two groups merged their operations from July 1972. A note in Tableware International in August 1972 (Vol 2, page 66) states that:
‘Allied English Potteries will become a subsidiary of Doulton and its name will be changed to Royal Doulton Tableware Ltd’.
From January 1973 Royal Doulton Tableware Ltd became custodian of the tableware and giftware assets of the two groups including the Royal Doulton, Minton, Beswick, Dunn Bennett, Booths, Colclough, Royal Albert, Royal Crown Derby, Paragon, Ridgway, Queen Anne, Royal Adderley and Royal Adderley Floral names, and their vast manufacturing operations. The company also held the 50 Lawleys china and glass retail stores inherited from Allied English Potteries. Royal Doulton Tableware Ltd was a subsidiary of Doulton & Co. Ltd, itself a subsidiary of the Pearson Group. The name was in use until at least 1983 and probably until the float of Royal Doulton plc in 1993. See the entries for the individual companies for further details.
Royal Doulton plc (1993-2005)
The tableware manufacturing interests of Pearson plc (S. Pearson & Son Ltd pre-1984) trading under the Royal Doulton name were floated on the London Stock Exchange in December 1993 as part of a rationalisation of the Pearson Group's industrial interests. The new, independent company was named ‘Royal Doulton plc’.
The new public company, Royal Doulton plc acquired Holland Studio Craft, a maker of resin sculptures, and art glass maker Caithness Glass in 1996. However, despite these acquisitions, Royal Doulton made substantial losses in 1997, 1998 and 1999leading to the sale of Royal Crown Derby Ltd to a management-led group in early 2000, and the sale of Caithness Glass to Royal Worcester Spode Ltd in 2001. Despite substantial rationalization, losses continued and in March 2002 Doulton announced the closure of its historic Baddeley Green factory and the transfer of production of ‘Royal Albert’ to Indonesia. The closure of the Beswick Gold St Works in Longton was announced in September 2002 and both the Baddeley Green and Gold St factories ceased production in December 2002. In March 2004 the company announced that its only remaining UK factory, the famous Nile St premises in Burslem, would also close.
Waterford Wedgwood who had purchased 15% of Doulton's shares in 1999 increased its stake to 21% in 2002 and completed a £39.9 million takeover of Royal Doulton plc in February 2005. On the 15th April 2005 production at the historic Nile Street site ceased and production of the Royal Doulton, Minton and Royal Albert brands was transferred to factories of the Waterford Wedgwood group.ROYAL DOULTON
ROYAL DOULTON TRACES ITS ANCESTRY BACK TO THE JONES, WATTS & DOULTON POTTERY IN LAMBETH IN 1815. BY 1826 THE COMPANY WAS TRADING AS DOULTON & WATTS, AND IN 1853 BECAME DOULTON & CO. THE TURN OF THE CENTURY SAW THE GRANTING OF THE ROYAL WARRANT AND PERMISSION TO USE THE EPITHET 'ROYAL.' THE HISTORY OF DOULTON LAMBETH CEASED IN 1956 WITH THE CLOSURE OF THE FACTORY AND STUDIOS. BY THAT TIME MOST OF THE PRODUCTION HAD BEEN TRANSFERRED TO MORE MODERN WORKS.
THERE FOLLOWS A SELECTION OF THE BACKSTAMPS MOST COMMONLY USED ON DOULTON LAMBETH WARES, AND SOME FURTHER BRIEF HINTS ON DATING. THE INFORMATION IS TAKEN FROM "THE DOULTON LAMBETH WARES" BY DESMOND EYLES. THIS COMPREHENSIVE WORK CONTAINS A GREAT DEAL OF VALUABLE MATERIAL BESIDES, INCLUDING MONOGRAMS AND BIOGRAPHICAL DETAILS OF INDIVIDUAL ARTISTS AND ASSISTANTS (SEE MOULDED OR INCISED MARKS ON STONEWARE AND TERRACOTTA PRODUCTS, C. 1827-1858. NOTES:
(I) NO MARKS HAVE BEEN TRACED FOR THE VAUXHALL WALK PERIOD 1815- 1826.
(II) NO. 15 HIGH STREET, LAMBETH, WAS RENUMBERED 28 IN 1838.
(III) JOHN WATTS RETIRED IN 1853 AND THE NAME OF THE FIRM BECAME DOULTON & CO. THE NAME DOULTON & WATTS MAY, HOWEVER HAVE BEEN CONTINUED IN TRADE-MARKS FOR SOME TIME.
IMPRESSED OR PRINTED MARKS ON PLAIN BROWN- AND CREAM-GLAZED STONEWARE C. 1858-C. 1910. ALSO FOUND IMPRESSED ON SOME OF THE EARLIEST DOULTON WARE WITH SIMPLE INCISED DECORATION 1866-1869. AFTER THE WORD 'ENGLAND' WAS ADDED.5.
THERE ARE SEVERAL MINOR VARIATIONS OF THIS IMPRESSED OR PRINTED MARK, USED ON PLAIN BROWN-AND CREAM-GLAZED STONEWARE C. 1891-1956. IT IS ALSO FOUND VERY OCCASIONALLY ON DOULTON WARE AND LAMBETH FAÏENCE.
6.GEORGE TINWORTH, WHO ALWAYS REGARDED HENRY DOULTON AS HIS PATRON USED THESE NAMES, ROUGHLY INCISED, ON MANY OF HIS PANELS AND PLAQUES. (THE OLD FIRM KNOWN AS HENRY DOULTON & CO. HAD IN FACT MADE DRAINPIPES AND HAD CEASED TO EXIST LONG BEFORE TINWORTH CAME TO LAMBETH).
7.IMPRESSED MARK ON EARLY DOULTON WARE C. 1869-1872.
8.IMPRESSED MARK ON DOULTON WARE. THE DATE WAS ADDED BETWEEN 1872 AND 1877 AND OCCASIONALLY BETWEEN 1877 AND 1887. A CIRCULAR PRINTED VARIATION OF THIS MARK IS ALSO FOUND.
IMPRESSED OR PRINTED MARK ON LAMBETH FAIENCE C.1873-C. 1914. AFTER 1891 THE WORD 'ENGLAND' WAS ADDED. A DATE WAS SOMETIMES INSERTED IN THE CENTRE OF THE MARK. THIS MARK IS FOUND ALSO ON DOULTON WARE.
IMPRESSED MARK ON DOULTON WARE C. 18761880. A DATE IS USUALLY FOUND IMPRESSED NEARBY. OCCASIONALLY FOUND ON LAMBETH FAIENCE.11.
IMPRESSED OR PRINTED MARK ON LAMBETH FAIENCE C. 1873-C. 1914. AFTER 1891 THE WORD 'ENGLAND' WAS ADDED. SOMETIMES BOTH NO. 9 AND NO. 11 APPEAR ON THE SAME POT.12.
IMPRESSED OR PRINTED MARK ON DOULTON WARE C. 1880 TO 1902. AFTER 1891 THE WORD 'ENGLAND' WAS ADDED. THE YEAR OF PRODUCTION ALSO OCCURS OCCASIONALLY. THIS MARK IS SOMETIMES FOUND ON LAMBETH FAIENCE ALONG WITH NO. 11.
13.IMPRESSED OR PRINTED MARK ON ASHTRAYS AND OTHER SMALL ITEMS OF DOULTON WARE. OCCASIONALLY FOUND ALSO ON LARGER POTS; C. 1891-1956.14.
IMPRESSED OR PRINTED MARK ON IMPASTO WARE 1879 - C.1914. AFTER 1891 THE WORD 'ENGLAND' WAS ADDED.
15.IMPRESSED OR PRINTED MARK ON CROWN LAMBETH WARE 1891-C. 1903. (MARK NO. 12 WITH THE WORD 'CROWN' ABOVE IT IS ALSO FOUND, ESPECIALLY BEFORE 1894).
16.SEVERAL VARIANTS OF THIS MARK, USED IN CONJUNCTION WITH DOULTON WARE OR LAMBETH FAÏENCE MARKS ARE FOUND ON CHINÉ AND CHINÉ-GILT WARES 1885-1930.17.
IMPRESSED OR PRINTED MARKS ON MARQUETERIE WARE 1887-C. 1906. AFTER 1891 THE WORD 'ENGLAND' WAS ADDED.
18.IMPRESSED OR PRINTED MARK ON CARRARA WARE 1891-1924. BETWEEN 1887 AND 1891 MARK NO. 12 IS FOUND ON CARRARA WARE.
19.IMPRESSED OR PRINTED MARK ON SILICON STONEWARE C. 1880-1932. THE WORD 'ENGLAND' WAS ADDED AFTER 1891. MARK NO. 12 IS ALSO FOUND ON SOME EARLY SILICON WARE.20.
THIS MARK, IN CONJUNCTION WITH NO. 12 OR NO. 21, IS FOUND ON SOME POTS MADE IN THE EARLY 1900S, WITH A METALLIC COATING OBTAINED BY THE ELECTRO-DEPOSITION OF SILVER AND COPPER.
21.THIS NEW MARK, AVAILABLE FOR USE ON ALL THE DECORATED DOULTON LAMBETH AND BURSLEM WARES, WAS INTRODUCED IN 1902 AFTER THE COMPANY HAD BEEN GIVEN THE RIGHT, THE PREVIOUS YEAR, TO USE THE DESCRIPTION 'ROYAL DOULTON' FOR ITS PRODUCTS. (SOME OF THE MARKS FOR SPECIFIC WARES WERE CONTINUED IN USE WITH OR WITHOUT NO. 21). THE LOWER PORTION (WITHOUT THE LION AND CROWN) WAS USED ON SMALLER POTS FROM 1902 TO 1956.
22.IMPRESSED OR PRINTED MARK ON DOULTON WARE 1922-1956.23.
IMPRESSED OR PRINTED MARK ON SLIP-CAST DOULTON WARE SUCH AS FIGURES AND NONCIRCULAR POTS C. 1912-1956.
24.PRINTED MARK ON HARD-PASTE PORCELAIN FIGURES C. 1918-1933
25.THIS MONOGRAM IS ALSO FOUND ON SOME HARD-PASTE PORCELAIN C. 1918-1933. IT IS MADE UP OF A COMBINED M AND T, DENOTING NOT THE DESIGNER BUT J. H. MOTT, ART DIRECTOR, AND W. THOMASON, CHIEF CHEMIST, WHO DEVELOPED THE NEW PORCELAIN BODY.26.
IMPRESSED OR PRINTED MARK ON 'PERSIAN WARE' C. 1920-1936.
27.THIS MARK IS FOUND ON A RANGE OF PIGMENT DECORATED POTS INTRODUCED IN THE MID 1920S. IT HAS ALSO BEEN FOUND ON SOME LARGE WALL-PLAQUES. IT APPEARS TO HAVE BEEN DISCONTINUED BY 1939.
FURTHER AIDS TO DATING
THE APPROXIMATE DATE OF INTRODUCTION OF SUCH PATTERNS MAY BE ESTIMATED FROM THE FOLLOWING TABLE. IT MUST BE BORNE IN MIND THAT SOME PATTERNS, IF THEY PROVED POPULAR, WERE CONTINUED FOR SEVERAL YEARS AFTER THEIR FIRST INTRODUCTION. THE TRADE-MARK WILL ALSO HELP TO DETERMINE THE APPROXIMATE DATE OF WILL BE NOTED THAT AFTER SIR HENRY DOULTON'S DEATH IN 1897 THE AVERAGE NUMBER OF NEW INTRODUCTIONS A YEAR DWINDLED CONSIDERABLY.BETWEEN 1902 AND 1925 IMPRESSED LOWER-CASE DATE-LETTERS ARE FOUND ON SOME POTS. THESE LETTERS RUN IN CONSECUTIVE ORDER FROM C IN 1902 TO Z IN 1925. THEY USUALLY BUT NOT ALWAYS APPEAR INSIDE A SHIELD.ON SLIP-CAST WARES THE MONTH AND YEAR OF MANUFACTURE WERE SOMETIMES INDICATED BY IMPRESSED FIGURES, E.G. 10.21 FOR OCTOBER 1921.
REGISTRATION MARKS AND NUMBERS
ON DESIGNS REGISTERED AT THE PATENT OFFICE BETWEEN 1842 AND1883 A DIAMOND SHAPED MARK WILL USUALLY BE FOUND IN ADDITION TO THE NORMAL TRADE-MARK. TWO DIFFERENT PATTERNS OF DIAMONDS WERE USED BUT SO FAR AS THE DOULTON LAMBETH WARES ARE CONCERNED ONE NEED ONLY CONSIDER THE FOLLOWING:
THE MOST IMPORTANT ITEM HERE IS THE LETTER ON THE RIGHT-HAND SIDE OF THE DIAMOND (C IN THE ABOVE ILLUSTRATION) WHICH INDICATES THE YEAR OF REGISTRATION (1870).THE FOLLOWING IS THE KEY TO THESE LETTER AT THE BOTTOM OF THE DIAMOND INDICATES THE MONTH OF REGISTRATION AS FOLLOWS: A: DECEMBER; B: OCTOBER; C OR O: JANUARY; D: SEPTEMBER; E: MAY; C: FEBRUARY; H: APRIL; I: JULY; K: NOVEMBER; M: JUNE; R: AUGUST; W: MARCH.FROM 1884 ONWARDS REGISTRATION NUMBERS WERE USED INSTEAD OF THE DIAMOND SHAPED MARK. THE FOLLOWING TABLE SHOWS THE FIRST NUMBER ISSUED EACH YEAR UP TO 1909. THE NUMBERS F FROM 1903 TO 1909 ARE APPROXIMATE. A SLIGHT OVERLAP MAY OCCUR BETWEEN THE END OF ONE YEAR AND THE BEGINNING OF ANOTHER.
1901: 3681541934: 7890191885: 19754
1902: 3855001937: 8172931886: 40480
1903: 4025001940: 8375201887: 64520
1904: 4200001943: 8399801888: 90483
1905: 4470001946: 8455501889: 116648
1906: 4710001949: 8569991890: 141273
1907: 4940001952: 8662801891: 163767
1908: 5190001955: 8760671892: 185713
1909: 5489201958: 8870791893: 205240
1910: 5520001961: 8999141894: 224720
1913: 6124311964: 9145361895: 246975
1916: 6535211967: 9293351896: 268392
1919: 6661281970: 944931897: 291241
1922: 6871441973: 9607081898: 311658
1925: 7101651976: 9738381899: 331707
1928: 7343701979: 9879101900: 351202
1931: 7605831982: 1005700ROYAL DOULTON
167 PICADILLY, LONDON, W1 V 9DE
TELEPHONE (071) 491 2717
A VARIED PROGRAMME OF EXHIBITIONS OF INTEREST TO THE ROYAL DOULTON ENTHUSIAST.
ARTISTRY IN ACTION
TAKE A TRIP AROUND THE ROYAL DOULTON POTTERY IN BURSLEM AND SEE ARTISTRY IN ACTION. DURING MORE THAN A CENTURY AND A HALF ROYAL DOULTON HAVE GAINED A UNIQUE REPUTATION FOR CERAMIC WORK OF ART. EACH NEW GENERATION OF POTTERS AND CERAMIC ARTISTS STRIVES TO IMPROVE ON ITS PREDECESSORS' WORK. OUR WORLD FAMOUS FIGURES, ORNAMENTS AND FINE CHINA TAKE SHAPE BEFORE YOUR EYES AS YOU ARE GUIDED THROUGH EVERY FACET OF OUR CENTURIES OLD CREATIVE ART.WRITE OR TELEPHONE FOR FULL DETAILS:
- MRS SANDRA BADDELEY
DOULTON FINE CHINA
NILE STREET, BURSELM
STOKE-ON-TRENT ST6 2AJ
TELEPHONE: (0782) 575454
THE SIR HENRY DOULTON GALLERY
On Jul-19-13 at 09:18:09 PDT, seller added the following information:
THIS UNIQUE GALLERY, AT THE DOULTON FINE CHINA NILE STREET POTTERY, BURSLEM, TRACES THE STORY OF DOULTON FROM ITS FOUNDATION IN 1815 AND INCLUDES THE WORLD FAMOUS COLLECTION OF SEVERAL HUNDRED RARE FIGURES. THE GALLERY IS NAMED AFTER SIR HENRY DOULTON, SON OF THE FOUNDER OF THE COMPANY, WHO WAS THE FIRST POTTER EVER TO BE KNIGHTED FOR SERVICES TO CERAMIC ART.OPEN WEEKDAYS, 9.00-4.15. CLOSED FACTORY HOLIDAYS. (NO APPOINTMENT NECESSARY) TELEPHONE (0782) 575454A BODY OF COLLECTORS HAS GROWN UP INTERESTED IN ALL BRANCHES OF DOULTON'S VARIED OUTPUT AND TODAY AN INTERNATIONAL COLLECTORS CLUB EXISTS TO CATER FOR THIS INTEREST- FULL DETAILS CAN BE FOUND BELOW.
FREE! Sellers: Add a FREE map to your listings. FREE!On Jul-20-13 at 00:38:49 PDT, seller added the following information:
Every buyer gets a MyStoreRewards invitation for cash back