Shipwreck Silver Ducaton, Spanish Netherlands - Brabant- Philip Iv
This item has been shown 0 times.
Shipwreck Silver Ducaton, Spanish Netherlands - Brabant- Philip Iv:
MORE IMAGES BELOW
A silver 'treasure' coin presumably from a shipwreck (judging by the corrosion) which was won in a UK competition back in the 1970s.
The coin is a Spanish Netherlands ducaton dated 163? bearing the bust of Spain's King Philip IIII. It weighs about 26.5 grams and has a diameter of 42mm. Despite the corrosion, most of the devices and legend remain visible, obviously impossible to grade.
The coin was a prize in 1975 from a competion run by the large UK company, Lever Brothers. Two letters (part of this lot ) accompany the coin and the suggested value back then was 15 GB-Pounds, this was more than a week's wage for many workers in the mid-seventies.
A possible source could be the Merenstein shipwreck, a Dutch ship wrecked off Jutten Island on the West Cape coast in 1702. The wreck was discovered in 1972 - three years prior to the competition.
Mailing costs (which are expensive in the UK) include insurance and may be reduced depending upon the final price.
THE IMAGES BELOW SHOW THE ACTUAL sale LOT BEING SOLD
CLICK ON AN IMAGE TO SEE LARGER VERSION IN A NEW WINDOW
coin silver ag spain spanish holland shipwreck treasure
POST & PACKING COSTS FOR THIS sale LOT
UK - 1st Class Recorded: £2.00 UK - Special Delivery (Insured): £6.30 Europe - Normal Airmail (Insured): £11.00 Rest of World - Normal Airmail (Insured): £11.50
FOR MULTIPLE LOTS - POSTAL CHARGES WILL BE COMBINED!!
TERMS FOR SELLING GOODS
- PLEASE pay within 3 days of the end of sale - payment can only be deferred by prior arrangement.
- All items must include postal insurance - no liability can be accepted for uninsured mailing options.
- Mailing costs for multiple lots will be combined - you pay what I pay plus a nominal sum for packing materials.
- Local pickup is NOT normally available unless expressed in the description.
- Please don't ask for the sale to be finished early, unless a BIN price is shown - a sell now price cannot be calculated.
- Overseas buyers Please Note - I cannot accept wired payments (BIC, IBAN). Bank charges are too expensive!
- For refunds, buyers must pay ALL involved mailing & costs UNLESS there is an error in the listings/images.
- All items are sold as authentic (unless stated in description) - A full refund will be given if proved otherwise.
- ANY GRIEVANCE CAN BE SOLVED AMICABLY. DON'T GET ANGRY - JUST EMAIL!
Customer satisfaction is paramount - Please see response!