Superb Antique 1890s James Dixon & Sons Silver Plated Dome Shape Tureen & Ladles
This item has been shown 3 times.
Superb Antique 1890s James Dixon & Sons Silver Plated Dome Shape Tureen & Ladles:
Superb Antique, Ornate 1890s James Dixon & Sons Silver Plated Dome Shaped Tureen & Two Ladles.
Rare opportunity to acquire a superb piece of British Victorian silver plating history from one of the most reputable English silversmiths of the time, the world renowned, James Dixon & sons. This is a lovely heavy tureen of fantastic quality with revolving dome top and ornate handles and in generally good condition and it dates back to late 19th century. The silver plating is in excellent order with only minor signs of wear on the inside which is commensurate with age and generally in superb in superb as shown in 12 pictures attached.
Please check all 12 photographs as they are an accurate part of the description. The tureen is about 15 inches in length, 9 inches wide and the legs are 4 inches tall and it weighs just under 3kg.
J Dixon & Sons (James Dixon & Sons) founded 1806 in Sheffield, was one of the major British manufacturers in the Industrial Revolution of the 19th century. They were well known as manufacturers of Pewterware, Electroplated Britannia metal see (http://www.pewterbank.com/ for information on this),Silverware and Electroplated nickel silver. Their products included hundreds of items for use in the kitchen (e.g. bowls, cutting-tools) and the dining room(e.g. tea services, cocktail shakers and mixers) as well as items like candlesticks for all rooms. They were a world leader in manufacturing shooting accessories through nineteenth century and exported powder flasks in large quantities to America, They were known as whistle makers, which like most of their products were of outstanding quality; they were one of the 4 great whistle makers, the others being W Dowler & Sons, J Stevens & Son & T Yates. It was located first at Silver Street (1806), Cornish Place (1822) Sheffield .
Their registered trade mark since 1879 was a Trumpet with a Banner hanging from it. Although registered in 1879, the "Trumpet with Banner" logo was used at times before registration and appears on some of their silver plate pieces. They were one of the foremost names in EPNS and sterling silver tableware including silver tea services and hollowware pieces. They also made silver ware serving pieces and had a wide catalogue of patterns. Their tea sets and hollowware pieces produced in silver are very valuable as antiques.
They were also famous for their sporting trophies. Two of the most well-known are the Hales Trophy commissioned in 1932 (sometimes called the Blue Riband) though this really refers to the pendant flown by the sailing ship currently holding the record for the fastest crossing of the Atlantic. The trophy was then held by the owners of that ship. The other great trophy is the one presented to the winner of the American Masters Golf tournament held annually in Augusta Georgia. This trophy is a scale model of the clubhouse made in 1959-60 and contains 453 troy ounces of silver.
The firm continued to be a family run enterprise until 1976. The patterns are currently owned by another Sheffield firm who export products mainly to the Middle East.