Victorian Grimwade Brothers Flow Blue 'rex' Pattern Quart Jug C.1895
This item has been shown 0 times.
Victorian Grimwade Brothers Flow Blue 'rex' Pattern Quart Jug C.1895:
Victorian Grimwade Brothers Flow Blue 'Rex' Pattern Quart Jug c.1895
A striking Flow Blue 'blue ink' jug in Grimwade Brothers 'Rex' pattern. Tapering body with rococo handle
To base; pattern name "Rex" over the Grimwade Staffordshire England 'cog' backstamp in use c.1891 to 1900. Painted; "7110C"
7.5" (19cm) high, base 4.25" (11cm) diameter. In perfect condition
Grimwade Bros., Stoke, 1885 to 1900
Earthenware, Majolica and China manufacturer at Winton Pottery, Hanley and Stoke (1886-1900)
Subsequently: Grimwades Ltd at Winton, Upper Hanley and Elgin Potteries Stoke. (1900+)
Messrs. Grimwade Brothers established their
Winton Pottery (Stoke) in about 1886. A wide range
of useful and decorative earthenware was produced.
The 'Durham Beer Set' was made in several patterns
and sold in the 1890's at a cost from 1s 11d to 3s 9d
per set. The style became Grimwades Ltd. in about
1890. From: Jewitts 'Ceramic Art of Great Britain 1800-1900.
Grimwade Brothers was founded by Leonard Lumsden Grimwade. Leonard had shown a natural talent for modelling pottery and it was in this field that his infant business began, in 1885. He was soon joined in the business by his older brother, Sidney Richard, another potter.
By 1890 new showrooms had been purchased in Stoke-on-Trent and London.
The company became Grimwades Ltd in 1900, Manufacturer of Earthenware, Majolica and Jet. Grimwades Ltd at Winton, Upper Hanley and Elgin Potteries Stoke.
The company closed in 1995 but the business carried on as Royal Winton Ltd
Output is easily distinguishable between the two companies; Grimwade Brothers 1885 to 1900 always used "Grimwade" (i.e singular) on backstamps, Grimwades Ltd 1900 - 1995 used similar or same style backstamps but always used "Grimwades" (ie plural)
Flow blue is a style of white earthenware, sometimes porcelain, that originated in the Regency era, sometime in the 1820s, among the Staffordshire potters of England. The name is derived from the blue glaze that blurred or "flowed" during the firing process.
Most flow blue ware is a kind of transferware, where the decorative patterns were applied with a paper stencil to often white-glazed blanks, or standard pottery shapes, though some wares were hand painted. The stencils burned away in the kiln. The blue glazes used in flow blue range from gray-blue to sometimes greenish blue, to an inky blue; however the most desirable and sought-after shade is a vivid cobalt blue. Mulberry is another form of flow blue, where the glaze is more purple in hue.
Flow blue started off as a mistake. It originated from the early part of Queen Victoria's reign, and was considered at the time to be a fault that occurred when the potters were transferring the patterns onto the white china. This error happened when the china was being glazed and the cobalt blue colour, being unstable,"flew" into the surrounding white glaze, giving a muzzy appearance rather than the usual and accepted crisp pattern. Most of the Flow Blue was considered sub standard and was sent off to the Americas as the British Pottery retailers did not think that the British public would accept the fuzzy patterns on their tableware. However, over the Atlantic, just like Gaudy Welsh, it became an immediate success, as the American buyers thought it was very beautiful and, what is more, to the amazement of the British Pottery industry, the British public started to like it also, until there was such a demand for the new "flow blue" tableware that the potters were now deliberately allowing the unstable cobalt blue to fly everywhere onto the white china. Such was it's popularity that by the end of Queen Victoria's long reign enormous dinner services were being made in Flow Blue and given names such as "Romance", "Romantic" and "Wild Roses" etc. Now, the table has turned full circle, as the modern collector clamours to buy Victorian Flow Blue or Flo' Blue..