Vintage 1953 Ebel Switzerland Purse Travel 14k Gold Ep Miniature Ermeto Watch A+
This item has been shown 0 times.
Vintage 1953 Ebel Switzerland Purse Travel 14k Gold Ep Miniature Ermeto Watch A+:
Founded by Eugene Blum as Blum & Cie in 1911, the highly regarded Ebel Watch Company of La Chaux-de-Fonds, Switzerland has had a proud history and still flourishes today. Its headquarters remain in La Chaux-de-Fonds at Villa Turque, a stunning building designed by Swiss architect Le Corbusier in 1916 and completed in 1917. Ebel is also known for being awarded the contract to produce Cartier watches in 1975, collaborating with Piquet in so doing.
I am pleased to offer for sale the following timepiece from the Ebel firm, a highly unique and original Purse Watch, also known as an Ermeto style miniature travel watch. This watch was a Golden Anniversary (50 Years) award model given in 1953 by Rexall Drugs, a firm founded in Boston, Massachusetts in 1902. Its shape reminds me of a vintage pill box, making the company who presented it quite fitting!
Its five-piece, double-hinged 14kt gold electroplated case measures 37mm in diameter and 11mm in depth. This works out to be just shy of 1-1/2 inches in width by 7/16 of an inch thick. My certified watchmaker David has fully serviced its original and higher-grade 17 jewel, manual wind Ebel mechanism, ensuring it winds and sets smoothly while keeping accurate time.
The original ivory color, matte enamel finished dial is in excellent condition, truly spotless. It features raised gold numbers and diamond shaped hour markers, a 60 minute raised gold dot outer track and original gold metal Lance-style hands. Signed EBEL below the 12 and SWISS at the base of the dial.
The original solid glass crystal is in excellent, clear condition. The five-piece case is double hinged and in excellent condition, complete with coin edging around the body. It is not marked for content but would be either 14k gold filled or 14 karat gold electroplated.
Turning the watch over I see that the back lid is in excellent condition, signed Golden Anniversary Award to D.L. Sheets for Outstanding Achievement 1953 - Rexall Drug Co.. The front side of the case is complete with the Rexall trademark (Mortar & Pestle) and the years 1903 to 1953.
Inside I find a high quality 17 jewel mechanism signed Ebel Watch Co., 17 Seventeen Jewels, Swiss, TON. The inside case lid is stamped TAYLOR for the case maker and an engraving of an archer pointing his bow to the sky.
This miniature purse travel watch has been fully disassembled, cleaned, oiled and regulated to ensure it winds and sets smoothly while keeping accurate time. It is also a a beautiful and higher grade timepiece from a respected Swiss firm, its design and use one I have never seen before and doubt I will come across again. A must have for the purse or Ermeto type watch collector.
- Since 1998, Holben's Fine Watches' goal has been happy customers. I treat buyers as I like to be treated: with courtesy and respect. I am especially proud of my excellent response and high number of repeat clients.
- Watch sizes: I provide exact case measurements in millimeters (the watch industry standard) and inches, and include a U.S. quarter in one photo as a size reference. Draw the measurements on paper to help visualize the watch on your wrist. Remember, watches for men made from the 1910s to 1970s were noticeably smaller than what is considered normal today.
- Buyers outside the United States with less than five response: please take a moment to introduce yourself via the message system prior to offerding. Otherwise, your offer may be retracted.
- U.S. winners pay $6.75 for fully insured, safely boxed USPS First-Class Mail shipping. Washington State residents (and those with shipping addresses in Washington State) are required to pay 8.6% sales tax.
- Canadian buyers pay $21.00 for Registered Air Mail shipping with tracking (I pay the insurance) or $35 for EMS Global Express, a bit faster. International buyers pay $49.00 for EMS Global Express Mail with tracking and insurance. I do provide a Registered Air Mail shipping option ($25.00) to a limited number of countries, including the United Kingdom, France, Netherlands, Switzerland, Japan, Hong Kong and Taiwan. If you are an international buyer please wait until I invoice you with your shipping options.
- International buyers, please note: Import duties, taxes, and charges are not included in the item price or shipping cost. These charges are the buyer's responsibility. Please check with your country's customs office to determine what these additional costs will be prior to offerding. I ship within 24 hours of receiving your cleared payment but your local custom authorities can cause delays. Expect it to take 7 to 30 days for international delivery.
- Payment is due within three days of sale end, unless you have contacted me prior to arrange otherwise. In accordance with policy, payments not received in four days will initiate an unpaid item case through the Resolution Center.
- In the rare event that a watch needs further service upon receipt, I ask that you return the wristwatch to me (or mailed to my watchmaker, David, in NYC) at my expense. It will be corrected and quickly mailed back to you.
- If you like unique and collectible vintage or antique wristwatches, add me as one of your favorite sellers. I specialize in American and Swiss timepieces from the 1900s to the 1970s. My selection changes weekly, and is comprised of manual wind and automatic watches from the following categories: WWI trench; WWII; military; fancy case, art nouveau; art deco; mid-century modern; stainless steel; sterling silver; white, yellow and rose gold; solid gold; platinum; and diamond, ruby and/or sapphire ladies cocktail watches.
- Cautious Carl and I want thank everyone for 15 GREAT YEARS on . Keep on ticking!
Our sister store, Holben's Fine Watch Bands, offers an extensive selection of straps including Bonetto Cinturini, deBeer, Di-Modell, Hadley-Roma, Hirsch and Staib; deployment clasps and buckles; metal bracelets; German military Bunds; UTC ballistic nylon G10; open-ended; James Bond striped, leather and woven NATOs; WWII canvas military; genuine and silicone rubber divers; carbon fiber; Kevlar; LORICA; Cordura; GT rally tropic perforated; alligator-, crocodile-, lizard-, ostrich-, shark- and buffalo-grain; chrono sport; riveted; waterproof / water resistant and woven/braided.