Vintage Galvano Bronze-clad Elephant Bookends, Possibly P. Mori & Sons, Ca. 1900 For Sale
Vintage Galvano Bronze-Clad Elephant Bookends, Possibly P. Mori & Sons, Ca. 1900
Welcome to this listing. We are extremely pleased to offer these wonderful galvano bronze-clad elephant bookends, possibly manufactured by P. Mori & Sons. Neither of the bookends is marked but we have found an identical set marked P. Mori & Sons. Our research indicates: “In the late 1880s, P. Mori and Sons created the first commercially produced art metal industry in the United States in New York City. They were the first American company to develop and use a new process of electroplating called electroforming as a large scale commercial venture. They used the term “Galvano Bronze” to describe their new process, and registered it as the trade name of the company. By the 1890s, a NYC competitor, The National Metalizing Company began using the electroforming process under the registered trade name “Armor Bronze.” Shortly after the turn of the century, the Mori family sold the company to its employees, who renamed it “Pompein Bronze Co.”
These bookends are 5 ¾” tall and 3 ½” deep. The bases are approximately 5 5/8” x 4 1/8”. They each have the tell-tale identifier of old original bronze-clad bookends—the indentation or depression on the underside where the hanging wire was cut off. Electroformed castings were actually products of a plating process. The metal is applied to a plaster casting by electrolysis, instead of being poured into a mold in a molten state. The end result is the appearance of a metal casting.
These bookends are in exceptional condition. Both are undamaged and without oxidation or rust. Neither has a felt bottom and there is no evidence that they ever had felt bottoms. The plating on the foot ring only of one elephant appears to have not adhered securely during manufacture. It seems loose, but is not broken. We don’t consider this to be damage.
We invite you to offer on this sale lot which has been pre-packed to assure (1) prompt shipment and (2) accurate weight information for USPS shipping and handling fees tolocations within the 50United States. Please offer only if you are willing to accept the conditions outlined in the "Payment" and "Shipping" sections below.
If after reviewing the photos, sale description, payment,shipping details, and terms of sale, you still have questions, please click on the "Ask a question" link at the end of this sale to contact us at selectsmalls.
We encourage you to view our other itemsand our store. To help you learn about us, go to the Seller information block at the upper right corner of this sale and click on selectsmalls and the blue and red me. By clicking on Save this seller you will have an opportunity to receive newsletters featuring items in our store.
- Please make payment after receiving our e-mail invoice, which will include combined shipping for multiple purchases. Our invoice will be sent to the buyer within 24 hours from the close of the sale and will include the winning offer, shipping, any applicable insurance charges, and State of Michigan sales tax for Michigan residents. The sale check-out calculator is only an estimate and identifies shipping for each item.
- PayPal is the accepted form of payment.
- Payment will include shipping charges and any applicable insurance charges.
- Payment will include 6% State of Michigan sales tax for Michigan residents who do not provide a valid State of Michigan sales tax license number.
- We ship to the 50 United States via USPS to PayPal-confirmed addresses only. Insurance will be part of the shipping and handling fees.
- sale lots are pre-packed to assure (1) prompt shipment and (2) accurate weight information for USPS shipping and handling fees.
- Shipping charges reflect USPS shipping and handling fees only. We do not charge for packing materials of any type, i.e. bubble wrap, styrofoam peanuts, or packaging tape.
- Multiple purchases will be combined to the extent possible to minimize shipping costs. Sometimes, due to size and weight, we will not be able to combine multiple purchases into one box.
- With over 30 years of shipping experience we know how to pack items so they arrive safely to their destinations.
- A package is usually shipped within one day after we receive full payment.
- The buyer will be notified via e-mail the day the sale item is shipped.
Terms of Sale
- Buyer must contact seller within three days from receipt date of the item.
- Buyer must ship the item back to the seller within fourteen days from receipt date of the item.
- Item condition must be identical to the sale description.
- Buyer will pay for return shipping and insurance (if item was initially insured).
- Buyer must ship via the same shipper as received and in the same packaging as received.
- Refund will only be given through PayPal and will only be in the amount of the winning offer plus Michigan sales tax if applicable. Refund will not include shipping and handling fees intiailly paid by the buyer.
Damage or Loss of An Insured Item:
- In the event an item is damaged or lost during shipping and the buyer had purchased USPS insurance, the buyer must immediately notify the seller and will retain the damaged item and all packaging.
- The seller will file a claim withUSPS for the amount the buyer paid for the item, not including shipping and insurance, and will designate the buyer as the payee of the claim.
- USPS will review the claim, inspect the parcel if required, and provide a refund less the shipping and insurance.
- The seller will not refund the amount of shipping and insurance paid by the buyer.
We are active charter members of the Tea Leaf Club International (TLCI) and the White Ironstone China Association (WICA). We have been involved with English and American ironstone ceramics since 1978. Our specialties include tea leaf and its many copper lustre variants, white ironstone, transferware, children's tea and dinner sets, toys, Rockingham, yellow ware, advertising tins, books, paper ephemera, and other select smalls. We are also members of theOhio Art Collectors Club (OACC), and the Ephemera Society of America (ESA).
- TLCI: http://www.tealeafclub.com
- WICA: http://www.whiteironstonechina.com
- OACC: http://ohioartcollectors.com/
We take great pride in providing wonderful merchandise and detailed descriptions. Customer care and service is our priority! Dorian House ~ Quality Antiques Since 1980, "Featuring "Select Smalls". We are celebrating our 14th year on .
This item has been shown 0 times.
Vintage Galvano Bronze-clad Elephant Bookends, Possibly P. Mori & Sons, Ca. 1900: