Vintage Victorian 1890's 1900's Gibson Girl Cream Cotton Corset 34 Metal Stays
This item has been shown 0 times.
Vintage Victorian 1890's 1900's Gibson Girl Cream Cotton Corset 34 Metal Stays:
I did research this corset in my large vintage fashion catalog collection in order to determine a proper time period for it. As you can see in the photos, it has 34 metal stays which create a very rigid profile and an extremely small waist. This hourglass silhouette is indicative of the Gibson Girl of the late Victorian era or the 1890's.
Unfortunately, the corset does have some condition issues:
- There is yellowing, rust damage, and discoloration on the outside and inside of the corset.
- The bottoms of the two metal stays on the very front have broken through the fabric.
- However, none of the other stays are showing.
- There is mild corrosion on some of the metal eyelets.
- There isn't any ripped or loose material around the eyelets.
- The front two stays are bowed and curved from being worn on the body.
- The laces on the back are not original to the corset and are not included with it.
- Despite the damage, the corset is free of any bad smells.
- The cotton is stable, intact, and free of tears or dryrot.
The corset doesn't have a standard size so I have taken measurements to help determine a proper fit. The waist is apprx. 20". It can probably be adjusted to a larger or smaller size waist. The flat bust measurement is apprx. 13". The length of the front and back is 10".