The skill of Irish hands is only part of the story - there is also an uncanny power in those hands to impart something magical to glass. And in all of Ireland, no hands have been more patient, more meticulous, or more blessed with the elusive powers of art than the hands of Waterford crystal's craftsmen.
When the brothers George and William Penrose founded the Waterford Glass House in 1783, they made a bold promise - to make Waterford crystal in "as fine a quality as any in Europe in the most elegant style."
It was no idle boast. They had in hand the old secrets of mingling minerals and glass to create Waterford crystal of beautiful and mysterious qualities. It sang sweetly at the tap of a finger. It felt soft and warm to the touch yet possessed strength and durability known only to Waterford crystal. And it radiated a distinctive, silvery white brilliance, which Waterford Crystal's artists enhanced with deeply - cut ornamentation that gave the finished pieces a vivacious, traditional Waterford crystal sparkle.
CARING FOR CRYSTAL: We recommend that you hand wash your crystal, one piece at a time in warm soapy water. Dry with soft, lint-free cloth. To prevent breakage from thermal shock, do not subject your crystal to sudden shifts in termperature.
Because repeated washing in very hot water can dull the lustre of your crystal, we do not recommend using a dishwasher, but if you must, use the fine china setting and mild detergent, in the amount specified by the mnaufacturer. Crystal trimmed with precious metals should never be machine washed.
CHECKING FOR AUTHENTICITY: Waterford Crystal can be a beautiful heirloom item when it is authentic. It can be a sad disappointment when it is fake. After-market and vintage items seldom have the original sticker. If they do, the sticker is a green and gold foil seahorse. The Waterford signature is the word "Waterford" acid-etched somewhere on the piece. This can be extremely difficult to find; age of the piece and use lightens the signature. Usually, a magnifying glass and strong light will make the signature visible. The acid-etchings are impossible to photograph; it is even MORE difficult to photgraph than it is to find in the first place!! Some master cutters at Waterford etch their signature into the bottom of the crystal piece. These pieces can be very valuable and are definitely harder to find. Waterford also produces a less expensive line called Marquis. These pieces are not made in Ireland like the classic Waterford, but instead in Germany and other countries. Although they are still beautiful pieces of crystal, they are not as valuable as Irish Waterford and should sell for considerably less. All in all, a bit of knowledge when buying Waterford crystal can give you years of happinessowning the genuine article. Below are some suggestions to identify an authentic Waterford piece:
1. Examine the crystal item for the word “Waterford” etched somewhere on the piece. Use a bright light and a magnifying glass to look for the signature, as it can be very small and difficult to see. There should be a Waterford mark or signature on every Waterford item, so this is the best way to determine if an item is genuine Waterford. If magnification and light do not reveal a signature after careful inspection, the item is likely a fake.
2. Look for a green-and-gold sticker in the shape of a seahorse, which is the Waterford symbol. If purchasing an item online, ask the seller for close-up images of the seahorse sticker. Remember that the sticker is easily removed, hence while the presence verifies authenticity, its absence does not definitely mean the item is a replica. Always check that the seller has a guarantee, return policy or paperwork of authenticity from Waterford to ensure the item is genuine.
3. Turn the item over and look for an artist signature. Some Master Waterford artists etch a signature on the bottom of their pieces, and these items are much more valuable. While an artisan signature alone does not verify authenticity, a master artist signature in combination with the Waterford signature does indicate that the item is a genuine Waterford piece, made by one of the company's master craftsmen.
4. Look at the base of the stem of glassware for a 16-point star, also called a star burst. Every side of the glass stem should be cut. Pieces that are not authentic often have flat sections or areas with ridges or no star burst pattern on the base.
5. Purchase a reference book, such as "Waterford Crystal Catalogue" by Waterford Crystal, at a bookstore or online or borrow one from your local library. Reference books will provide detailed images and information on genuine Waterford crystal. You can compare the item you are interested in with the genuine pieces.
Please enlarge and review all photos for additional detail
Good Buy Girls is a brick & mortar resale store in St. Peters, Missouri that is full of name brand goodies and our stock changes constantly! We purchase many of our items from various department store chains. This allows us to sell name brand items anywhere from 10-90% off retail! When our store has too much of a good thing....we sell it on online! We have over 10 years experience selling on . We get very few complaints and when we do, it is usually because the buyer didn't read the description. So please, read everything before you commit to buy! If you have questions regarding an item, please feel free to call our store. Our online staff generally works (and answers e-mails) Monday thru Friday from 10-5 p.m. Our store phone number is 636-447-2077.
We ship daily, Monday-Friday. You will receive tracking information from either Stamps.com/USPS or Fed Ex as soon as your item is on the way to you. We are happy to combine shipping if you purchase more than one item from us within a 5 day period. In most cases, we charge regular shipping price for 1st or heaviest item, and then just $1.00 for additionals. **Please note that in order for us to combine items for discounted shipping they cannot be already paid for - please do not pay for the items until we have had the opportunity to combine them. After that has been done you can view a new updated invoice and then pay at that time. This applies to domestic shipments within the United States lower 48 states. Alaska, Hawaii & Puerto Rico may have slightly higher combined shipping prices.
Your purchases will be marked as merchandise not as "gift" and they will be listed at purchase value. You are responsible for any duties, taxes, and/or fees that are set forth by your country. Also, depending on your location, some packages may actually take up to 4-6 weeks for delivery, this is beyond our control.
We can accept returns within 14 days of product delivery. Item must be in the same condition that it was received. Unless we have grossly misrepresented an item the BUYER is responsible for return shipping costs, original shipping costs will not be refunded, and the refund amount of the item will be subject to a 15% re-stocking fee.
PAYPAL is the only accepted form of payment. Payment is expected within 3 days of winning offer/purchase date.
Thanks for browsing our listings.
We appreciate your business!
This item has been shown 0 times.
Waterford Crystal Collectors Bell - Beautiful Clarity And Sparkle - 5"h X 2.75"w: