C.1760-80 Superb French Silk Brocade Bodice - Remade In The 1850s For Sale
Time for Tea Antiques & Eccentricities
Dealers -Stylists - Designers
online from 2003
Specialists in Antique Natural History, Curiosities, FineAntique Textiles and Costume, and Objects d´Art.
Dealers and Stylists, we are also anInterior and Graphic Design Firm serving a worldwide clientele of collectors, designers and museums.
Our team scours the world for rare and unique pieces that are both decorative and authentic. Most important, many item's have hugely
interesting provenances giving a home a sense of individuality and style.
The collection is available throughour and online stores,and by appointment at our Madrid gallery and workshop,
where we also develop projects related toInterior and Graphicdesign.
Exceptional 18th century c.1760-80 French silk brocade bodice
Remade c.1850s from a Robe a la Francaise
For Study or Display
FABULOUSNEW ARRIVALS AT TIME FOR TEA ANTIQUES & ECCENTRICITIES!
Place of origin:France (made, designed)
Date: c.1760.80 (remodelled c.1850s)
Artist/Maker: Unknown (production)
Materials and Techniques: Olive green medium weight silk brocade embellished with botanical motifs; gray lace/ribbon at neck. Hand and Machine made.
Provenance: Important European Private Collection
This is a wonderful find! A superb floral silk brocaded short bodice c.1850s, remodelled from an earlier gown c-1760-80, probably French, for study or display.
It was very usual during the 1840-50’s to re use 18th century fine dresses and textiles, and adapt them to the fashion of the moment.
The bodice is made of a very beautiful brocade silk woven with flowers in silver, blue, green and mustard, and meandering flowers and scrolls in silver threads on an olive green ground. The design is comparable to some designs from the V&A which suggests Tours (France) as the manufacturing centre. It is impossible to suggest a designer.
This bodice belonged to a one piece dress. The shape was common and particular to the period when it was remodelled: it is high waisted, well cut, fits like a glove to adjust to the shape and form a slender body (the skirt must have been full and heavily pleated, bell shaped), features V-shaped neckline front and back, and fastens back with metal hooks and eyes (antique, prob. added later). It is hand and machine made.
The bodice is lined with original ivory glazed cotton and it is not boned although there are remains of cross stitching over the seams to insert bones.
The edges of the neckline are bound with grey silk ribbon.
Measures: Shoulder to shoulder: 15 1/2"; Bust: 35"; Waist (High leveled): 29"; Front Lenght: 14 3/4"; Back Lenght: 14"
Condition: Very Good. Strong and Clean. The bodice shows fading front and the background color is lighter than in the back. There are no holes nor rips. Perfect for Study or Display.
I Ship Worldwide. If you have questions, contact me and I´ll do my best to give you more information.
Please and don´t forget to add me to your favourites list! to discover more simply gorgeous vintage treasures from Time for Tea Antiques & Eccentricities.
Please take a few moments to read my "About Me" page for our lattest news and arrivals atour studio.
*I have been selling on the sale site for well over 8 years and it suits my business.We work very hard to please our customers and friends and ifwe are not photographing,we are cataloging pieces.Ifwe arenot listing,we arecarefully wrapping and packaging items to ship beauties anywhere in the world.And very often, we are out looking for more treasures. It is full time but we love and enjoy our work,andwe put everything into it.
The response which is left bymy buyers reflects, in my view, my reputation and service - and I am very proud of it. I have had many, many regular buyers based worldwide who, over the years, have become wonderful friends too. I love to welcome new clients and Time for Tea Antiques & Eccentricities gates are always open to them.
The only thing which I have no control over, of course, when distance-selling is the postage system, and how long it can actually take for a parcel to reach its destination once it leaves our hands. We package carefully and post off as soon as practically possible after payment has been received, always by International Registered Airmail or Express Mail -the latter when required- with Insurance.
The Spain postal system -Correos- can be a little slow at times but really no slower than most other postal services and, with international parcels, customs checks can also result in a delays in delivery time. Other factors also greatly affect delivery dates: excessively bad weather closing airports or increased security measures.
If someone is awaiting a parcel longer than normal I literally turn myself inside out to help track a packageand giveyou my full attention. Our experience is very positive with the different international postal services and never lost anything during transit.
We can also make arrangements to ship your item by courier -UPS or FEDEX-. Please contact us if you wish your purchase to be shipped by courier.
IMPORTANT SHIPPING INFORMATION
* We have recently moved to a new studio/showroom and will ship TWICE a week.
* Special shipping requirements will be considered but cannot be guaranteed.
* Only Actual shipping and insurance costs are charged in accordance with Correos rates and regulations.* Buyer is responsible for any/all taxes, customs duties, etc for his/her country.
* Signature required upon delivery forevery item(s).* We ship within 4-5 business days of receiving cleared payment, sometimes sooner. We always let know our customers when we ship their items and provide them and with tracking information.* We will gladly combine shipping for multiple purchases to reduce postage cost. Insurance charges may be extra for multiple items in one shipment.
* Vintage and Antique Textiles,as well as Antiques,are not new and some may come with imperfections. So, every item is accurately described, catalogedand photographed.
* Questions are always welcome and will be answered. We believe that the best customer is an educated customer. If you have any questions or comments on any items, they will be appreciated! We strive for clarity and understanding so no question regarding our merchandise will go unanswered.
* Please ask all questions before offerding or winning an item. All Sales are Final.
* We guarantee authenticity of all of our items, so buy with confidence.
* No Returns unless indicated otherwise, i.e. gross omissions in descriptions. We try to note any condition issues, imperfections or damage, and rarely there might be something that is overlooked. Unless a flaw is a major departure from the overall description or photographs presented here, this item is not returnable. We will not accept returns due to size. Measurements are clearly provided in all descriptions.* Any returns must be pre-approved via email prior to return shipping.
* We know that privacy is important to our clientele. That’s why some of our listings will be private in order to insure the utmost in buyer security. We strive for a safe, seamless transaction.
* Our goal is to delight our customers with exceptional quality and service and to maintain 100% customer satisfaction. We are proud of our 100% positive response rating and would appreciate your kind consideration to help us build our rating. We would love to have your comments within 7 days of receipt of the item.
* If, for whatever reason, we may have failed to meet your expectations, please let us know via email as soon as possible. We take pride in the way that we treat our customers: the same way we wish to be treated: with honesty, dignity, and respect. We want to achieve 100% customer satisfaction and your comments or concerns are very important to us. * Upon receipt of your response, we will gladly reciprocate.
This item has been shown 745 times.
C.1760-80 Superb French Silk Brocade Bodice - Remade In The 1850s: